News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2 barrel 383

Started by rooroo, July 27, 2009, 08:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooroo

Have the opp to buy 69 charger with #'s matching 383. I believe the383 is the 2 bbl carb though. Can I easily get the same power out of this engine as the 4bbl version?  I like the idea of having #'s matching but also like having  40 extra horses. As a general discussion, should I be overly enamored with matching #'s or does it not affect the value an extreme amount? For example, would you pay more for a non matching 440 car(car originally could have had 318, etc) or the matching 383 2bbl? Thanks.

Ghoste

I wouldn't get too worried about it, if you like the car buy it.  It's the same basic engine and can easily make the same power.  Personally I think the matching 383 is worth more than the non matching 440 but thats a personal opinion.

Dans 68

Well, for a 383 2-bbl I don't think there is really a premium on a numbers matching car. If it was a beautiful example that you wanted to show that would be one case in that it would add value to you.

There are differences between the 2 and 4-bbl's, carb to block, and it should be relatively easy to obtain those horses. I don't have the particulars in front of me but a little searching will get you there.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

Quote from: rooroo on July 27, 2009, 08:10:42 PM
Have the opp to buy 69 charger with #'s matching 383. I believe the383 is the 2 bbl carb though. Can I easily get the same power out of this engine as the 4bbl version?  I like the idea of having #'s matching but also like having  40 extra horses. As a general discussion, should I be overly enamored with matching #'s or does it not affect the value an extreme amount? For example, would you pay more for a non matching 440 car(car originally could have had 318, etc) or the matching 383 2bbl? Thanks.

A lot depends on the gearing. I had a helluva lot of fun in my '70 383 2bbl Charger back in high school and college. A 2bbl 383 is not as glamorous but IMO it's still going to have a lot of pep and it's more unique and special at the car shows to say, "yup, it's still got the original 2bbl carb." You're not going to break any land speed records with a 383 Charger anyway (4bbl or 2bbl) so why take away the one truely unique aspect of the car?

Well, I think I might have just convinced myself too.