News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Charger R/T racing heratage

Started by d/ur/t, July 13, 2009, 06:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d/ur/t

Been reading about the 70 racing history so wonder if you guys can add some race info that you are aware of that the 70 has won.Like championships and stuff

cheers Australia

d/ur/t

Had to bump this tread as I'm interested in any racing history surrounding the 70 Dodge charger.

cheers

BROCK

Excellent question.  Bobby Isaac won more in the 70 than in the Daytona! 
I think Winged Warriors is the place to start.

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

d/ur/t

Quote from: BROCK on July 19, 2009, 01:36:59 AM
Excellent question.  Bobby Isaac won more in the 70 than in the Daytona! 
I think Winged Warriors is the place to start.

I'm interested in the 70 wouldn't have thought to start with wings.Found a little about the year of 70 where it was a close championship {Isaac think} who didn't actually win any races but closed out the championship in the 4th last race but wanted to get more info.

With this in mind where would you get DVD'S of racing from those days.

cheers

aone415

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

Dodge Don

Here you go. 70 Chargers won more races in 70 than the Daytona or the Superbird and won the 70 Championship

http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/viewtopic.php?p=1233#1233

Plus you'll find 70 Charger racing photos in the memorabilia gallery
http://1970chargerregistry.com/pictures.html

Aero426

Quote from: d/ur/t on July 19, 2009, 05:02:24 PM

With this in mind where would you get DVD'S of racing from those days.

We have two DVD's from the '69/70 NASCAR period we sell through the Daytona Superbird Auto Club.

The first DVD is 1969 and '70 Grand National Highlights which covers both seasons and has some bonus footage of the 1970 ARCA 300 at Daytona.    

The second DVD is called The Hard Chargers and is a documentary on stock car racing focusing on Richard Petty, Pete Hamilton and Cale Yarborough during the 1970 season.   There is a lot of behind the scenes stuff off the race track.   It's narrated by William Conrad (Frank Cannon).  It aired on network TV in 1971.

The 69/70 GN Highlights is more racing on the track.    The Hard Chargers shows some racing but has a lot of material the personalities.      Both are very good material wise, and the color quality and restoration of these are super.   Both have a lot of stuff on wing cars and the Ford Talladegas.   Both are about an hour long.    They are $25 each + $4 shipping.   Or order both at $50 and we pay the postage within the US or Canada.   Rest of world add $5 for air mail.     Send a PM if you're interested.  

Blakcharger440

Those are some facts I never knew about the 70 Charger! Awesome! It makes owning a 70 even cooler and I didnt think that was possible!  :lol:   :cheers:

d/ur/t

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on July 20, 2009, 10:52:34 PM
Those are some facts I never knew about the 70 Charger! Awesome! It makes owning a 70 even cooler and I didnt think that was possible!  :lol:   :cheers:

Same same.PM sent re the race footage.

Thanks for the info guys the chargers downunder are a real sleeper no one knows too much about them.

cheers

Aero426

There is consistently much cheerleading and pointing from the 1970 Charger camp, about  "See, see, I told you!  The '70 won more races".    Just a reminder that there is a reason that occurred.   And that was because Ford's budget was slashed in 1970.   For many of those short track wins the '70 Charger took,  there was no factory Ford competition present!    I will repeat.  No factory Ford car or driver ran for the championship in 1970.   So it's no surprise Isaac won it.  He simply showed up and ran well.

Now the above is no disrespect to the '70 Charger which is a great car.    I am simply pointing out that it goes beyond the numbers and all depends on how you want to spin the story.    Now I am a wing car guy, but I also will defend the Ford record on the long tracks and state the wing cars clearly did not blow the Fords away like most Moparites claim.   It really was pretty close with the Mopars having a slight edge in race wins where Aero Fords and wing cars ran head to head. 

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Aero426 on July 21, 2009, 10:33:09 PM
There is consistently much cheerleading and pointing from the 1970 Charger camp, about  "See, see, I told you!  The '70 won more races".    Just a reminder that there is a reason that occurred.   And that was because Ford's budget was slashed in 1970.   For many of those short track wins the '70 Charger took,  there was no factory Ford competition present!    I will repeat.  No factory Ford car or driver ran for the championship in 1970.   So it's no surprise Isaac won it.  He simply showed up and ran well.

Now the above is no disrespect to the '70 Charger which is a great car.    I am simply pointing out that it goes beyond the numbers and all depends on how you want to spin the story.    Now I am a wing car guy, but I also will defend the Ford record on the long tracks and state the wing cars clearly did not blow the Fords away like most Moparites claim.   It really was pretty close with the Mopars having a slight edge in race wins where Aero Fords and wing cars ran head to head. 

:2thumbs:

And FYI,   while Isaac won the championship w/ 11 wins in his 70 Charger.    Richard Petty won 18 races.    5 in a Superbird... leaving the other 13 to the '70 Road Runner.

So the king of the hill in 70 was the Road Runner.     
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Blakcharger440

I think every year of Charger fan likes to note the great things about "their" year of Charger.  A win is a win and it really cant be diminished. No disrepect to the 68 or 69 guys but the 70 Charger was the one to beat that year. :shruggy:

BigBlackDodge

He simply showed up and ran well.

Lets give credit where credit is due..................Bobby was a great short track racer, on dirt or pavement.

<----- See Avatar  :icon_smile_big:

BBD

Aero426

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on July 23, 2009, 05:49:57 PM

Lets give credit where credit is due..................Bobby was a great short track racer, on dirt or pavement.

BBD

I agree.  No doubt about that.

BROCK

Alot of valid points brought up here :yesnod:

Brians' "And FYI,   while Isaac won the championship w/ 11 wins in his 70 Charger.   

Richard Petty won 18 races.    5 in a Superbird... leaving the other 13 to the '70

Road Runner.

So the king of the hill in 70 was the Road Runner." is noteworthy. 

Richard had a bad wreck that year (rumor is the SuperBird is buried out back) & sat

out several races.  That's how racing works though.  Sure Richard might've won - if. 

Sure Ford didn't back short track races - but there were plenty of Fords in those races. 

In fact many seasons in the 60s seem hollow:  Ford in 65 for example.  Then there were

rules changes along the way that handicapped every success.

For me it has always been about the cars & their developement though.  Developement

& ingenuity were the real allure to me.  I miss that in todays' racing & refuse to watch.

I'm a Charger freak & a Aero nut.  Bobby is my fave for his work in a Daytona.  Daytonas

& 69s in general get the most votes for popularity.  Let the 70 see what some of that

:coolgleamA: feels like too!

Dodge Don

You can call it cheerleading, I prefer to call it what it was....stating the facts. Not some possible alternate future with what if's.

Dodge Don

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on July 22, 2009, 09:57:45 AM

And FYI,   while Isaac won the championship w/ 11 wins in his 70 Charger.    Richard Petty won 18 races.    5 in a Superbird... leaving the other 13 to the '70 Road Runner.

But did not win the championship. End of story. You can now go back to parking in handicapped spaces illegally.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Dodge Don on July 26, 2009, 07:53:20 AM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on July 22, 2009, 09:57:45 AM

But did not win the championship. End of story. You can now go back to parking in handicapped spaces illegally.

I knew I'd get you to add in a comment with that Don!    Crash bumpers rule!   :nana:

:smilielol:

XS29J8

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on July 23, 2009, 05:49:57 PM

BBD

Your avatar appears to be a reskinned 68 Charger Stock Car & probably just the front bumper & tail panel mods...........heh heh.... most of the stock cars built in 68 were used well into the 70's.....

Cheers
Steve
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

BigBlackDodge

Why would you race a '68 when the '70 was in town?  :pity:

You bring up a good point though.........the '70 models raced for several years after 1970.

BBD :icon_smile_big:

BROCK

XS29J8 is just pointing out that the chassis were rebodied through the years - as
opposed to starting from scratch with a new car each year.

Here's 1 for you:  How many racing Daytonas did Dodge make?
The answer is none:  there were just rebodied older racecars.

XS29J8

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on July 26, 2009, 10:24:10 PM
Why would you race a '68 when the '70 was in town?  :pity:

You bring up a good point though.........the '70 models raced for several years after 1970.

BBD :icon_smile_big:

I especially like the 70 Stock Cars that still had the 68 tail panels....heh heh.  Most of the 68 Race Cars were refitted with 69 Charger 500 and Daytona metal & then the 70 bumpers were put on a lot of them for instant updates. The 68 Chassis was used right up thru the 77/78 Magnum style bodies and beyond I believe.

:cheers:
Steve
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Dodge Don on July 26, 2009, 07:51:07 AM

You can call it cheerleading, I prefer to call it what it was....stating the facts. Not some possible alternate future with what if's.

Exactly. It was a 70 Charger that got the job done end of story. You cant change history or facts by hypotheticals or by saying it was a 68 charger dressed up as a 70.  ::) 

Ghoste

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Ghoste on July 28, 2009, 07:23:21 AM
And it says so on the VIN.  :D

Race cars were generally provided or sold as bodies in white without VIN.

Ghoste