News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody else have this problem?

Started by 69bronzeT5, July 04, 2009, 12:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

When my car is cold or warm...it starts fine. However, on Thursday...I was having problems with the Duster. It was running fine all day. Then about 3 mins from our destination, it ran out of gas. Went and got gas for it. Put it in...the car was getting gas and had spark but just wouldn't run? I'm thinking because it was pretty hot outside and the car was also hot from running all day. Or am I wrong? Anyways, we ended up pushing it to my destination (my grandparents) with my dad's Jeep and my taillight panel got dented :'(
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Back N Black

Well, if you ran out of gas, you should put a little down the carb to pick up the fuel again. Maybe you picked up dirt from the tank when you ran her dry. Is your fuel gauge working? or were you pushing the limit.

mikepmcs

Sorry about the dent.

Change your fuel filter.  I'm sure a ton of sediment was being sucked up.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

b5blue

I've seen them get air pockets in the fuel line, it pumps some then quits. Chuck some in the carb and get it running like Back in black said and add some to keep it running for a minute, if that's it that will re prime it.

Ghoste

You say wouldn't run, do you mean to say that it was trying to fire but wouldn't run as soon as you let the key go from the start to run position?  Because if that's what you're trying to say it's most likely a ballast resistor.

c00nhunterjoe

depending on the capabilities of your fuel pump it can take a good bit of cranking to get fuel back in the bowls and pressure going before she starts

1969chargerrtse

You have gas and spark and it won't run?  That ain't good. :rotz:  I had a old merc that did that and I think it just had such a low compression from being worn and old that it just wouldn't fire up after being hot.  I ended up getting rid of it.

As for the idea that running a tank empty or low sucks up junk.  I never agreed with that.  If there is scum, junk, whatever on the bottom of the tank it will suck it up full or empty.  The pickup sucks up the gas about a 1/2" off the bottom  full or empty, I don't think you suck up any more dirt if it's empty than not empty.  I ran many tanks empty and had no fuel filter issues, but hey that's me. :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TUFCAT

You should consider rebuilding that carb. It's not an easy task for most people......but for you, it should be just like building a model  :icon_smile_wink:

Sublime69

Are you sure your timing is right? You may want to check to see it's not loose at the hold down clamp, I had one loosen up on me before.
1969 Charger 440
1968 Satellite 318 Future Road Runner Clone
1989 Diplomat Ex-Cop Car Winter Beater
1985 Chevy C-10 400 SB Winter Project
2004 Honda Civic Daily Driver

mikepmcs

that reminds me, check those plug wires again
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

TUFCAT

Quote from: mikepmcs on July 06, 2009, 02:40:33 PM
that reminds me, check those plug wires again

Mike, you hit the nail on the head. This sounds like an intermittant problem, and fuel issues are [usually] not intermittant. I think he should go through the ignition first.

lisiecki1

ballast resistor?  my '73 charger did that to me a number of years ago....i wanted to cry when i found out i walked 5 miles home because of a 2 dollar part  :brickwall:
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

mikepmcs

Fixed my buddy's Jag on saturday. He says. mikey the jag won't start when it's raining and I think it's the distributor cap, it starts sometimes but mostly when it's dry out.  I said ok, possible moisture in the cap. i take it off, bone dry.  I look at the coil wire and said Danny get me one.  2 minutes later it was purring like a TUFCAT.  All because of a coil wire(he told me the car hadn't been running right for 3 weeks but he was hung up on something else)  Keep it simple, and retrace what you have done to the car.  Reason I say this is because you replaced a bad wire or 2 last week or so.  I'm betting you have some other bad wires in there, or the wire you replaced is giving you fits, etc... Just a hunch and I could be wrong but don't rule out the easy stuff first.  Then go for the ballast etc.......  Does the Charger have some spare parts you could try if you need to go that route.  If not let me know and I'll send you some stuff.

Also, I'm still suggesting you change the fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently.  That car was sitting  for some time before you got to it , right.  You have driven it for a short time and have put how many gallons of gas through it??  I bet there is some stuff floating around and getting stuck where it shouldn't be.  Just a suggestion as part of the freshening up of your ride.  Cheap insurance is what I'm talking about here.

v/r
Mike  

69bronzeT5

Once we got it to my grandparents...I let it rest for a day or so and then tried to start it.... it fired up and ran great. :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic