News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Michael Crichton's take on Global Warming

Started by teamroth, July 10, 2009, 03:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teamroth

Good read. Take a look. Nice to hear a perspective from an educated guy who wasn't overblown and let his fame go to his head.

http://michaelcrichton.com/speech-complexity.html
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Neal_J

teamroth

Good point Neal. I had forgotten that he died. Man that sucks.

Neal_J

Many years ago, I read "Jurassic Park".  It was about a year before the movie came out & it scared the absolute pee out of me.  The movie for me was then a nonstarter for me because the mental imagry that Crichton created was so much better than the CGI. 

He also created & wrote many of the early episodes of ER on TV.

One talented writer, no doubt.

teamroth

I read Jurassic after the movie, but read the other ones prior to their big screen conversions. I thought they were absolutely awesome. I was just looking at his wiki page, he wrote s hit-ton of stuff. He clearly was awesome. But I was just reading his global warming thin the other day and was rather intriguied by it.

Mike DC

What's really too bad is the JP movie sequel.  I thought Crichtons original sequel book "The Lost World" was awesome. 

I had seen the crappy movie version of TLW already, so I wasn't expecting much when I finally read the source material.  But I ended up thinking it was right up there with the original.  Every bit as thought-provoking for me, and it even filled some plot holes in the original "Jurassic Park."   

teamroth

:iagree:     That was my major problem with the movies, they weren't true to the material and left lots of holes.

Forza

You should read his book, State of Fear. Excellent read.

Neal_J

Rarely have I enjoyed a movie after 1st reading the book.  The Lost World probably tops the list of disapointments, followed closely by JP.

About the only time I've found it went the other way was To Kill A Mockingbird, where the movie was at least as good as the book and perhaps better.

0X01B8

I haven't read the JP book, but the movie was fairly ground breaking in terms of the CGI.  I've got a few Silicon Graphics computers sitting in the garage that were from that period - 1993 - and in total they prolly cost $30,000 new.  Today they're not worth putting on Ebay because the shipping costs more than they're worth.

Neal_J

Great point.  The CGI used was extraordinary yet the movie was disappointing for me simply because the monsters were much scarier in the book because Crichton was such a good writer.

teamroth

I have yet to read state of fear, but it's on my list.

Brock Samson

A couple days before J.P. opened in theaters, i started the book,.. and it was so engrossing I read it in one sitting, took less then four hours,... the only other book i remember reading like that was Silence of the Lambs...

mauve66

makes ya wonder if the government knocked him off since he didn't subscribe to their views
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Landonsrt

No, he died of cancer........... :scratchchin:

I read JP after seeing the movie, book was better. Read TLW before seeing the movie, book better. Steven Speilberg screws another one..  I thought the first movie was awesome when it came out, since i was only 13, it was the end all be all of dino movies to a kid.

draftingmonkey

How about the recently suppressed EPA report. Saw it once on the news than nothing.  Hmmmm... 

http://www.rightpundits.com/?p=4184 

Have read all of Chrichtons books starting with Andromeda Strain,  He was a great writer and missed by his fans.

Mike DC

Movies have a hopeless job in adapting from most decent books.  

The sheer total amount of information in a book is so much higher than in a standard 2hr movie . . . most average books would take a movie of 6 or 8 hours to even begin to do it justice in that sense.  

Something like a good Crichton book would call for even more, with all the scientific knowledge being thrown around.

mauve66

Quote from: Landonsrt on July 10, 2009, 10:51:03 PM

so you think no one could GIVE him cancer???  I've seen the government/military do some stupid things to look good and cover their butt for the public view
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

elanmars

Quote from: mauve66 on July 11, 2009, 09:00:56 AM

so you think no one could GIVE him cancer???  I've seen the government/military do some stupid things to look good and cover their butt for the public view

somebody must not have been a big fan of bush jr haha (but then who was??!).
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Foreman72

he was one of my favorite authors...i've read many many of his books...they were all awesome...yet to read the newest one
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Shakey

QuoteI've seen the government/military do some stupid things to look good and cover their butt for the public view

Examples please! 

Foreman72

Quote from: draftingmonkey on July 10, 2009, 11:25:40 PM
How about the recently suppressed EPA report. Saw it once on the news than nothing.  Hmmmm... 

http://www.rightpundits.com/?p=4184 

Have read all of Chrichtons books starting with Andromeda Strain,  He was a great writer and missed by his fans.

very interesting...i'm not so surprised in the least

mauve you aren't honestly suggesting the government infected a man with cancer so that he wouldn't drag their crap out of the closet...
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

mauve66

Quote from: Shakey on July 11, 2009, 03:28:42 PM

QuoteI've seen the government/military do some stupid things to look good and cover their butt for the public view

Examples please! 

minor examples with no security threats,

1 platoon spent over $10,000.00 on new air cleaners just to look good for 1 visit from a 4 Star General, the old, gray, blow the dust out with an air hose air cleaners went into the trash

another platoon in the same company turned in 3 - 105mm tank rounds and about 50,000 loose rounds (not boxed up) of 7.62 and .50 cal machine gun rounds, to an amnesty box where everything gets blown up and destroyed just so they wouldn't have to stand around a day or 2 to turn them in the proper way so they could be inspected and boxed back up for reuse

90 % of the government is run by ex-military, their thought processes don't change

same company spent in excess of $15 grand to convert a fully functional fuel truck into a water truck so they could keep the dust down at the tank firing range so the scores of their gun crews would be higher, (when a tank main gun goes off it creates a rolling cloud of dust that doesn't go away quickly unless the tank is moving, on a gun range with multiple targets this effects your score), the company set a new record for that gun range and set a precedent for every tank company after that to create their own water trucks.  Its a good thing that water trucks are just driving around a forward combat position to keep the dust down for the tankers, right??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Mike DC

If Bill Maher was making that same point about the military's wastefulness, would it be recieved the same way? 

bull

It would appear that even though he's dead his brain works much better than the brains of most celebrities.