News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there any tricks to priming the car with fuel? (mech pump)

Started by Chargeraddict, July 08, 2009, 12:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargeraddict

Hi guys, I just put a couple gallons of fuel in the car for the first time (not sure if thats enough fuel to draw into the sender )  Anyways Im cranking and cranking but no fuel is getting to the carb?

Rolling_Thunder

generally the starter does not turn the engine enough for the mechanical pump to suck fuel...     get some more fuel and fill the carb bowls
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chargeraddict

Belgium R/T -68

Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Neal_J

A can of ether (starting fluid) has always worked for me.

b5blue

Harbor Freight sells a big ol sucker thing for 4.00, it's the size of a grease gun, one pull and you got gas all the way to the carb. Hook the line up to the carb and use some in the sucker to shoot in the throat and your good to go! It worked for me A OK! It's also good for pulling lube out of the axle.  :2thumbs:

BigBlockSam

just spray some carb cleaner in the carb  .acts like starter fluid but not as rough on the motor.  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

firefighter3931

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 08, 2009, 01:34:30 PM
generally the starter does not turn the engine enough for the mechanical pump to suck fuel...     get some more fuel and fill the carb bowls

This is my preferred method for a dry fuel system startup using a mechanical pump. Just fill the bowls through the vent tubes and once the engine fires it will run and prime the fuel lines. Very easy....so easy a Caveman can do it.  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Stretch

No.1! Ether is for diesels! Not gas engines!

Running on carb clean is not wise either!

Get an empty 16oz plastic pop or water bottle and drill a 1/6-inch hole in the cap. Remove the blue plastic seal from the inside of the cap. Pour some gas into the bottle. You now have a way to squirt some gas into the carb with lots of control. You can keep it running like this without washing town the cylinders until gas gets there on its own.

:icon_smile_cool:
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

TylerCharger69

I never realized that priming a carburetor was such a scientific endeavor.   :shruggy:

AnCieNt1

i use a old twist top mustard bottle to fill my carb bowls

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 08, 2009, 09:31:08 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 08, 2009, 01:34:30 PM

This is my preferred method for a dry fuel system startup using a mechanical pump. Just fill the bowls through the vent tubes and once the engine fires it will run and prime the fuel lines. Very easy....so easy a Caveman can do it.  :lol:

Ron

BBD ;D

BigBlockSam

QuoteRunning on carb clean is not wise either!

i've used this method for a long ,long time.started many engines that way .never an issue . just short bursts of spray. there are more then

one way to skin a cat .  :lol:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img