News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

01 decal position

Started by Hemidog, July 08, 2009, 11:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

Does anyone have the measurements for the 01 door decals' correct position?

Mike DC

Depends on which season of DOH you're trying to copy, whose decal set you're using, and which side of the car you're doing. 

TylerCharger69

The North American General Lee Fan Club has an area somewhere that shows you those dimensions.   I believe, however, that it's based on the early seasons of the t.v. series.  I do know that the graphics on LEE 1 are really somewhat applied in a sloppy fashion, meaning the "01" on the driver door is spread too far apart between the two numbers and kinda crooked.  The numbers on the passenger door, to me, seem that the numbers are too far forward and the numeral 1 is crooked too.  This is LEE 1 though.  I based my graphics position on the later series shows....the ones with the wider grille guard, and the cross flags deleted.  Seemed to me that they were more consistent in appearance.  Just depends on your particular taste I guess.   :Twocents:

Mike DC

I've got the numbers on the dimensions for most of the TV series.

Do you have a certain era of the show you're trying to copy?  Georgia cars, Valuzet cars (small pushbar California)?, or WB cars (wide pushbar California)?

Or are you just going for a "generic GL" look that is sorta like an average of all of them?

Hemidog

I would say average.. the best looking. 

Mike DC

--  Make the numbers parallel with the bottom edge of the door skin.  Leave 2" of orange metal between the bottom of the door skin and the white outline of the bottom of the numbers.  

--  Make the numbers exactly 4" apart.

--  Now look at the main horizontal bodyline on the door skin.  (The line that is below the door handle on the door, but it goes just above the wheelwells on the fender & quarters.)  

Measuring along that bodyline, the zero should be placed about 14" back from the leading edge of the door skin.  

Along that same bodyline, it's about 13" from the rear edge of the 1 to the rear side edge of the doorskin.  (But the lower rear leg of the 1 will stick out a few inches farther backward than this.)

This will set you up roughly.  The specifics may not match because there are multiple dimensions of these number decals being made.  If you have to vary it:  I would keep the 2" bottom edge for sure, keep the digits 4" apart for sure, and fudge on the lateral location of the whole pair of digits. 

The lower rear leg of the 1 sometimes threw off the placement on the TV cars.  Sometimes the passenger side numbers were a few inches farther forwards compared to the driver side numbers, because of the two different reference points that the side of the 1 can have.  

Hemidog