News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

car wont start (solved)

Started by IBcruisin, July 06, 2009, 10:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IBcruisin

I have a 1974 plymouth roadrunner with 440
ok here is the lay down, I decided i wanted a new stereo system put in the car, and my buddy did it for me at his home, he installed a sub plus 2 amps and soem speakers, it all seemed to go ok, and on my way home I made it maybe 15 minutes down the road and my car just died, the starter would turn over but the car woudnt run, I called buddy and we towed the car to his place, the coil was extremely hot and there was no spark coming from coil

so i went and got a new resistor, new coil, new voltage regulator and new inginition module and new larger battery to make up for the extra power need but still the starter would crank but the car wont start.

we cant figure whats wrong, we checked the lines and it says 12 volts on everything except on the top part of the right side of resiter where it says 6 volts, but if we turn key it goes to 12, same with coil if we just check it it says 6 but if we turn the key and crank it goes to 12 but yet there is no spark comin from the coil when we remove the center wire that runs into distributor from coil.

car started and ran just fine before I hooked up system and now I just figure out where my problem is??

FLG

Might sound obvious...but have you tried a different wire from the coil to the distributor??

chgr500

Is there a radio noise suppressor hooked up on one side of the coil? I have seen these go short to ground and draw enough voltage to cause a no start or insufficient spark.. :shruggy:

IBcruisin

thanks guys will try these today and get back to yah

Back N Black

At the resistor it goes from 6 volts to 12 volts when cranking, that should be normal. In full crank the resistor is by passed to give 12 V to the starter. Have you checked in side the dist cap?

TylerCharger69

IBcruisin

well I fixed the problem, it was the wire harness, between the resistor and the coil it was fried, I replaced the whole harness and added more grounds and everything seems to be fine, car is running again! 
thanks everyone for the advise.
it was thru process of elimination!