News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FLG's 73 SE Restoration Thread UPDATED 8/12

Started by FLG, July 06, 2009, 11:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Frank,

The intake and water pump housing powder coated or is that polished alluminum?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

elacruze

Is that wonderful CH4B painted or powder coated?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

FLG

There powder coated, i didnt want to have to constantly clean em if i left them bare  :2thumbs:

FLG

Little update,

Waiting on new rockers to complete everything...found galling on the ones i had  :2thumbs:

For now theres ugly washers on the WP housing bolts because i dont plan on putting any accessories on until i get her dynoed.

jb666

Brass

Quote from: FLG on February 26, 2011, 01:32:00 PM
There powder coated, i didnt want to have to constantly clean em if i left them bare  :2thumbs:

I wish I had thought to do that to mine.  Maybe in the future if I keep it.  Anyway, your engine is looking awesome!

mikesbbody

Looks Great Frank! I have done the same with my manifold it's not on the motor at the moment great to see what it will look like when I do get around to putting it on  :2thumbs:

FLG

Just an update....

Engine was torn back down for some upgrades

And cams being changed to a engle k58/60 split grind

Finally the big one...

THE CAR GOES TO GET BODY WORK STARTED ON THE 27th!!!!!!!!!!

:drool5:

Tilar

Man that's looking great, Frank... That picture with the single valve almost looks like the valve guide is broken if you compare it to the look of the pic below it with the two valves. The brass colored part of it is what I'm referring to.  :scope:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Beer

Great update on the motor! 

Some slow progress on mine, the windshield is in, the clips are in for the chrome trim on the back window (car is now somewhat weather resistant outside if it rains now...).  My Brakes are completely plumbed (had to refab the rear lines for the disc brake conversion).  Oil pan was modified so the K frame did not have to be notched.  My motor should be going in (again) and staying this time.  I will post pics on my Restore thread when able.

Jim
1973 Dodge Charger 402 Stroker Smallblock 414 HP/ 466 ft/lbs torque,  8 3/4" 3.91 Suregrip rear w/ DR. Diff disk brake conversion, CalTracs single leaf and Rear Suspension, VFN Bulge Hood, Running, needs interior completed, Had to give to Ex-Wife in divorce 2017...

resq302

Tilar,

chances are the valve guide was ground down in part of the smoothing and porting process.  The pic of the two below it are probably the exhaust valves which would have no effect for the air going out.  Its the breathing in part that you want as smooth as possible with the least amount of restrictions.

Now as for the work starting on the 27th...... well all I can say Frank is that they will get the car then barring any unforseen transportation problems.  As to when the guy will start work on your shell, all I can say is when your car will get there.  
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

FLG

Well...off to the shop tomorrow

Brian i appreciate you offering your trailer, we were going to use my moms friends which was right here but after i called U-Haul we decided for 80$ and being able to leave it in Mass that it was the best bet

...as you can see my better half took advantage of being able to mess with the car  :rofl:

Heres a collection of parts, though it wasnt the complete collection as i had another door and other small items...took quite awhile and many trips to get all this stuff

resq302

Frank, is your car one of those rare cars that require 3 fenders?  :smilielol:  Also, Im going to be very impressed if you can fit all that stuff inside the charger and not lose any of it on the way.  If you can, the next time Im moving, you're packing and helping me!   :lol:
Brian

FLG

Brian,

Between the truck and the charger

2 Quarter panels
3 Fenders (rare option)
2 Doors
Deck lid
Inner fender
Portion of firewall

And a few other misc items, all strapped down.

Dont get me started on moving, helped Daria and i can pack it in with the best of em  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

resq302

Holy crap man.  I'd never believe it.  Glad you are packing it, not me! 
Brian

ODZKing

Outstanding Frank.  Can't wait until we're both parked at Carlisle   :2thumbs:

FLG

Thanks guys!

Ill have pics of the progress as Jeff takes em for me, i think they already started digging into the quarter panels and sometime in the next few weeks shell get media blasted.

Tilar,

As Brian said its just a pic of the exhaust valve guide which are all like that  :2thumbs:

FLG

Few pics, more to come when Jeff takes em for me! She dont look as bad as i thought underneath that quarter panel.

tan top

:coolgleamA:   got some good  progress going on !!  keep the pictures coming !! love  looking at this kind of stuff  :popcrn:

:2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

resq302

frank, just curious, but are they bracing up the car when they have all that stuff removed?  If not, I would be worried about the "frame" sagging or twisting throwing off all the allignments of the car.
Brian

FLG

Brian,

I believe what you see is the skin and inner structure from a penel I brought them and not my panel so the only thing removed is the skin, which won't require any extra support. Be sure if they remove any major structure they will brack whatever is needed to keep frame squareness.

bordin34

Wow Frank, from what you showed me on the quarters I expected a lot more rust under the bondo.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

jb666

Quote from: bordin34 on August 01, 2011, 08:54:39 AM
Wow Frank, from what you showed me on the quarters I expected a lot more rust under the bondo.

It's actually pretty solid under the shell that only BK could be proud of...

I have a teaser pic...  With plenty more to come... This car will be a thing of beauty when it's done..

In the meantime it's about to lose some SERIOUS weight... they say you can tell the age of a tree by it's layers??

jb666

Ok.. Here are the first few, of many...

Shedding it's skin...

years of patch-work...

FLG

Thanks for the pics Jeff!!

Thats A LOT of bondo holy crap! But the rest of her looks like nothing but surface rust...im surprised that the outer wheel well is in such nice shape  :2thumbs: