News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Nitrogen enriched gas

Started by Silver R/T, July 04, 2009, 10:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

I dont think they care. The epa says the readings have to be at a specific level or lower and these engines meet that requirement by injecting this into the exhaust system. The epa says nothing about what you have to do to meet their numbers. Just meet them.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ghoste

But the green vote cares and once they lean on Obama I can't see it taking too long to change.  :Twocents:

Tilar

I don't think they were expecting CAT to drop the American truck engines out of their production due to the new restrictions. Hello layoffs. They may "change" it but I wouldn't count on it because it's just like everything else, It's all about the money. This bogus global warming and green crap is nothing more than lining somebodys pockets and this is helping to do just that. When you can sell diluted urea for $27 a gallon to diesel owners and they have to buy it in order to keep their vehicle from going into cripple mode, someone (probably al bore among others) is getting very wealthy.
Dave  

b5blue

Geeze watered down piss for sale! What a bunch of guano that is.... :smilielol: their not going green....their going yellow!

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Tilar on July 08, 2009, 06:41:10 AM
I don't think they were expecting CAT to drop the American truck engines out of their production due to the new restrictions. Hello layoffs. They may "change" it but I wouldn't count on it because it's just like everything else, It's all about the money. This bogus global warming and green crap is nothing more than lining somebodys pockets and this is helping to do just that. When you can sell diluted urea for $27 a gallon to diesel owners and they have to buy it in order to keep their vehicle from going into cripple mode, someone (probably al bore among others) is getting very wealthy.

I can see someone selling a "make your own urea supply" kit for diesel applications.  They could even use the tag line: "Harvest your own!" for the t.v. commercials and radio ads.   Eventually, that loophole will likely get closed by the EPA or others in power.  When it does happen, I look for the economy to take another big hit.....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

b5blue

Sell that beer when your DONE with it!  :smilielol:

Tilar

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on July 08, 2009, 02:07:07 PM
Quote from: Tilar on July 08, 2009, 06:41:10 AM

I can see someone selling a "make your own urea supply" kit for diesel applications.  They could even use the tag line: "Harvest your own!" for the t.v. commercials and radio ads.   Eventually, that loophole will likely get closed by the EPA or others in power.  When it does happen, I look for the economy to take another big hit.....

That I can believe. I think the government has gone to the point that they think the general public would believe anything if they pushed it hard enough. Think about it for a minute.... It's too easy of a project to spoof. Hell we as a group alone could probably rake in millions between actual inception and production.
Dave  

b5blue

Chatt69chgr

It's my understanding that all gasoline comes from the refinerys in the same pipeline.  Each gasoline company gets the same product and then adds various ingredients to it to differentiate themselves from the other brands.  I would bet that even the "slop tank" gasoline retailers buy additives from independents to put in the gas that they sell.  The retail markets for just about every product are poor right now due to the economy.  So if you want to boost sales, you need to make your product stand out from everyone else's product.  I don't doubt that the Shell additive they are calling "nitrogen enriched" has some beneficial effect.  They seem to be saying it cuts down on carbon buildup on the valves, etc.  But I really think that what is behind their big marketing program is simply the fact that they want to sell more gasoline and they figure the current cute commercials is the way to do it.  They are not the only ones.  Look at Progressive Insurance.  How many commercials a day do we see with the girl in the white uniform hawking their product. 
I will say one thing about Shell gasoline.  There are a couple of stations in Chattanooga that sell the Shell product with NO ALCOHOL.  It costs maybe 10 cents more per gallon.  I've been filling up there lately.  And yes, the pumps say "nitrogen enriched". 
The cheapest gas in our town is the Murphy stations in front of the Wal-Mart.  This gas apparently does contain at least 10% Ethanol. 

PocketThunder

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on July 09, 2009, 01:56:50 PMLook at Progressive Insurance.  How many commercials a day do we see with the girl in the white uniform hawking their product. 

and she's not even that good looking...  :scratchchin:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on July 09, 2009, 01:56:50 PM
I will say one thing about Shell gasoline.  There are a couple of stations in Chattanooga that sell the Shell product with NO ALCOHOL.  It costs maybe 10 cents more per gallon.  I've been filling up there lately.  And yes, the pumps say "nitrogen enriched". 
The cheapest gas in our town is the Murphy stations in front of the Wal-Mart.  This gas apparently does contain at least 10% Ethanol. 

The "nitrogen enriched" additives are different than adding alcohol to the gasoline.  The ethanol additives are there to help boost octane numbers to lower rated gasoline mixtures, renewable energy, etc., etc., as well as for the "environmental good" of everyone (some could say $$$ for certain groups).  Shell is adding the nitrogen containing compounds to their gasoline to induce a more controlled internal combustion of the fuel, leading to less carbon buildup in the engine.  What they are not saying is how much that they are adding, what exactly it is and how much it normally costs.  So, if the additive is cheaper than the fuel blend alone, it would mean that they are diluting the fuel for a net gain on their side.......

Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

b5blue

It's great to have a chemist on our forum!  :2thumbs: Thanks!