News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front Brake Upper/Lower Ball Joint Removal-"HELP"

Started by FARMER, July 02, 2009, 05:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FARMER

Hi; I need "HELP" advice from someone experienced at this. I am restoring a 1969 Dodge Charger. I need to replace the upper and lower ball joints for both sides of the front brake/tire suspension. Whats the best way to get them popped out? With out breaking everything and my body. I want to do it right. Thank you.

oldrock

no answer here but I will be watching since I might have to do this to my son's 72 charger soon.

Back N Black

The upper ball joints are threaded and you need a special socket. the lower ball joints  are   held on by bolts.

This thread has everything you need to know.......

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,15396.0.html

John_Kunkel

I think the OP might be asking how to remove the ball joint taper pins from the spindle.

Some use a pickel fork but there is a dedicated threaded tool that presses them out. I thread a sacrificial nut on the ball joint and drive it out of the spindle with an air hammer.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bull

If I understand what you're asking you can sometimes break them loose with two good-sized hammers. Hold one against the side of the arm that's holding the tapered pin and smack the other side of the arm with the second hammer. The shock will often break them loose. Leave the castle nut on a few threads so it doesn't drop onto your ankle when it falls.

FARMER

A special thanks to you all that has posted, it has really helped. The top ball joint was not positioned centered in the fork. I had to take the upper control arm off and put everything in a vice. I heated it up to expand the hole and was able to (smack) fork loose the ball joint. I have ordered the special socket to remove. Now the bottom joint is next.

CB

if you can please post some pics of your front end job :yesnod:  :cheers:
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

FARMER

Today I got the bottom ball joint off. I took your suggestions, I got a smaller width fork and keep smacking it, threaded the nut back on top and hammered it. Bashing the fork and then the top the ball joint broke loose without heating it up, a good thing, don't like grease fires. The ball joints been on since 1969, Now to do the other side.
Thanks again to all that posted. Your experience has really helped. Its nice to meet other mopar people, your the best!

b5blue

FYI the proper tools for these jobs make it a snap!