News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 73 build!

Started by wayfast1500, July 05, 2009, 11:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayfast1500

I started my build tonight, after getting out of work at 9pm I started to strip out the interior.  I found the second build sheet, one was under the back seat, the other under the front.  From this point it looks like I need to replace/spend some serious quality time on the hood with the welder, trunk pan, inner fenders, new bushings to the k-frame, few patches to the floor pan.  The body panels are solid, all hinges are tight, trunk deck has no rust.  Judging by the new bolts on the spring shackles it looks like a previous owner has hopefully put new bushings in the leafs.  I'm sure I'll be in for some surprises as I take it apart further.  The electricals a mess, half of it's not connected.  Seems to be a good starting point so far, pretty solid for a 40 year old car. 

royt440

Good luck.

What kind of drivetrain will you go with?

oldrock

wayfast1500

I'm going to keep the drivetrain pretty stock 318/904/8.25".  I'm planning on beefing up the 318 with a cam, 360 heads, intake/carb ect.

wayfast1500

I got the seats and the rest of the interior out today.  The dash is about 90% out, and I just have some trim left.  The floors look decent, it will need some time with the welder.  I plan on sandblasting the whole car and replacing everything, I dont want to have to do this again for a long time.

mopar73

Good luck and keep at it. :coolgleamA:

wayfast1500

Another pic, its been raining about everyday so I have not done much to it this week. 

wayfast1500

What would be some good upgrades to make it a little more reliable.  I know all new hoses, go through the electrical with a fine tooth comb ect, but should I do things like upgrade the fuel pump to a electric, upgrade ignition ect?  I know it has electronic ignition, but are they reliable?

BROCK

Quote from: wayfast1500 on July 19, 2009, 08:42:24 PM
What would be some good upgrades to make it a little more reliable.  I know all new hoses, go through the electrical with a fine tooth comb ect, but should I do things like upgrade the fuel pump to a electric, upgrade ignition ect?  I know it has electronic ignition, but are they reliable?

Go through the braking & cooling systems, making sure everything is in tip top shape.  Plan to replace hoses,
fluids & pads/shoes.  As for the fuel system:  I would replace all hoses & filters.  I would boil the gas tank &
seal it.  But I wouldn't add an electric pump.  The electric ignition is OK - just go ahead & give it a good tune
up.

Sounds like you just want to get her going & enjoy her - so keep it simple!

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

wayfast1500

Yea that's the idea, being in college and working I don't have the time/cash to do a full showroom condition resto now, but I want to fix all rust, get it in paint, and fix the bad stuff.  I was driving it for about 2 weeks, it was steeri ng real bad, went to lift it and the torque boxes were twisting because they are so rotted.  That's when I decided to throw in the towel and strip it.

wayfast1500

Got the door off today, those things are very heavy, I dropped it on the joint of my foot to toe and its still swolen.  dash is out, just a few parts left on the interior to go and pull the drivetrain.  These go together as easy as they come apart right?  

41husk

Those doors are very heavy I had to buy some remanufactured hinges to get my old doors to line up.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up