News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Possible paint scheme for the wife's Superbird clone.

Started by hotrod98, July 05, 2009, 10:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

I just bought the latest 1/24th scale Johnny Lightning Superbird. I think this is the fourth color that they've offered.
They've added a little bling this time with the racing stripes and numbers. Hey...at least it's not number 1.
It's plum crazy, has a 440, pistol grip 4-speed and bench seat.
I might just paint my Daytona clone up to match the bird if I decide to do something like this to it.  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Old Moparz

I think purple with the stripe like that looks decent.  :cheers:

I should send you my Charger with all the wing stuff, let you finish it & paint it whatever way you want to experiment. I don't care what it looks like, I just want to drive it.  :lol:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

oldrock

the offset stripe just makes it look unbalanced to me.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

Has sort of a "Bullrun" look to it, doesn't it?

I want Sandra's Superbird clone to stand out, but in a good way. She likes lots of attention.
We plan to start on the car after the Daytona clone is finished which should be early next year. We're trying to decide on how to paint the Bird clone and what mods we want to make. Her wish list is the 5.7 hemi 5-speed that we already have, no vinyl top, the Bulge hood, Sebring seats, a/c, bling bling wheels (probably Boyd's) and a nice sound system. She has narrowed the color choices to limelight, new go mango like the color on her Daytona pickup or plum crazy.
My decision to make is whether to stay with the stock back glass, use the Barracuda back glass setup that I have or go ahead and get a steel plug and do it the correct looking way. I just hate to spend almost 4 grand just to change the look of the back glass.
Decisions, decisions.  ;D

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 06, 2009, 10:10:48 AM
Has sort of a "Bullrun" look to it, doesn't it?

I want Sandra's Superbird clone to stand out, but in a good way. She likes lots of attention.
We plan to start on the car after the Daytona clone is finished which should be early next year. We're trying to decide on how to paint the Bird clone and what mods we want to make. Her wish list is the 5.7 hemi 5-speed that we already have, no vinyl top, the Bulge hood, Sebring seats, a/c, bling bling wheels (probably Boyd's) and a nice sound system. She has narrowed the color choices to limelight, new go mango like the color on her Daytona pickup or plum crazy.
My decision to make is whether to stay with the stock back glass, use the Barracuda back glass setup that I have or go ahead and get a steel plug and do it the correct looking way. I just hate to spend almost 4 grand just to change the look of the back glass.
Decisions, decisions.  ;D
just cut the top off  problem solved  :D :D :D :D :D :D   :nana:

RTDaddy

If you follow Stuart's suggesetion and cut the top off, remember to ALWAYS carry a spare fuel pump pushrod, :icon_smile_big:.  I'm not sure on the full length offset stripe.  I have one of the new "go mango" Daytonas for the wife's driver, and that is a pretty good color, but so is the plum crazy.  You might consider the plum crazy with white, or the go mango with black, and accent the purple with a white wing, white "Plymouth" lettering, and a white wedge on the nose like Pete Hamilton's #40 Superbird had the red to distinguish it from Richard's car.  Or the go mango with a black wing, black lettering, and a black wedge on the nose.  One other look you might consider is two tone.  It looks better than it sounds, about 1976, a Daytona drove through town that was dark "Hunter?" green from the body-line down, and white above.  (by body-line, I mean the corner at the tops of the fenders and quarters).  I never saw this car again, but it looked good.  Good luck.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

hotrod98

" just cut the top off  problem solved  :D :D :D :D :D :D   :nana:"

Cool idea...I don't think anyone's done that yet.  ::)

As for the new go-mango color, I also have a gallon of "Copperhead" left from another project.
I guess I have a few more months to make up my mind.
Oh, and she nixed the idea of cloning the clown car. She hated that paint scheme.

Charles Addams

nascarxx29

What about like the superbird tyco stars ande stripes
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

mikepmcs

I really like the plum crazy paint scheme you posted.

is this the tyco stars and stripes?
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

68charger383

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

pettybird

maxwellwedge

How about the paint scheme the Corndog Bird was before the resto? MCG would be happy.  ::)

hotrod98

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 07, 2009, 10:29:31 AM
How about the paint scheme the Corndog Bird was before the resto? MCG would be happy.  ::)

I thought about that. I showed her the pics and she didn't care much for the clown paint scheme.
Even though I own a body shop and could re-paint the car if necessary, I prefer to decide on a paint scheme that will be permanent (as long as we own the car that is) and be something that will attract attention in a good way.
Choosing a unique paint scheme is the upside of building a clone that I want to take advantage of.  If and when I find a restorable real bird, I will most definitely go back original with it no matter what color it is and won't have the option of choosing a color.
Even with the Daytona clone, I felt that it needed to go back to black since the car is a fairly rare triple black R/T SE. Just didn't feel right changing the color on that car.
As for the bird clone, her first choice was limelight. She already drives a limelight cuda that we plan to keep and eventually give to our daughter. I've pretty much convinced her that she should choose something other than limelight for her next project.
That's when the "color" dilemma started on this project.

Charles Addams

maxwellwedge

moparstuart

BigBlockSam

Quoteshe nixed the idea of cloning the clown car. She hated that paint scheme.

i think your in the same boat as me . i've changed the color of my daytona in my mind several times . i'll know the exact color when it comes out of my spray gun and on the car . :laugh:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 07, 2009, 11:17:12 AM
Sassy Grass would look cool....

I think my son plans to change the color on the red 71 Cuda to Sassy Grass Green. It's a clone so we don't care about originality on it, but the other 71 Cuda which is the real deal will definitely go back Tor-red as it came from the factory. What I'm saying is we pretty much treat the clones as blank canvases that we can do pretty much anything to.

Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Here you go, Larry!  :D

I'd even go with the matching outfit  ;)...

BigBlockSam

hotrod98

:icon_smile_big:
That's Rome Benedicts car. He was known as "Romeo from SuperGo" and was a disc jockey.
The car sat in a friend of mines building here in Arkansas for many years. He finally bought it from the guy that had it stored there a few years ago. He was shocked when I recognized the car. The paint was gone but the fuzzy interior was still there as well as the large speaker in the nose.
He sold it about three years ago and I haven't heard anything about it since. I think it was originally a Tor Red six pack car. I wanted the car but didn't have the 50K to buy it. He also owned the yellow 440 bench seat bird that I had passed on a few years earlier for 30K and was asking 50K for it as well. He sold the yellow car at about the same time. He still owns a nice B5 blue six pack, 4-speed bird. He priced it to me a few months ago but  it's way out of my range. He's mentioned having me make some repairs on it. The GTX that I just finished restoring belongs to one of his good friends. The guy owned three large buildings full of six pack and hemi cars. He was big into Superbirds for many years and had a lot of parts at one time. I just bought a perfect set of fenders from him for my wife's Superbird clone. He still had quite a few 70 Coronet fenders and hoods.
Here's some info on the Romeo car. http://wwnboa.org/romeo.htm

Charles Addams

tan top

hmmm for the wife  :scratchchin:  what about FM3 ... black top & decal white interior  :scratchchin: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 09, 2009, 12:38:02 AM
:icon_smile_big:
That's Rome Benedicts car. He was known as "Romeo from SuperGo" and was a disc jockey.
The car sat in a friend of mines building here in Arkansas for many years. He finally bought it from the guy that had it stored there a few years ago. He was shocked when I recognized the car. The paint was gone but the fuzzy interior was still there as well as the large speaker in the nose.
He sold it about three years ago and I haven't heard anything about it since. I think it was originally a Tor Red six pack car. I wanted the car but didn't have the 50K to buy it. He also owned the yellow 440 bench seat bird that I had passed on a few years earlier for 30K and was asking 50K for it as well. He sold the yellow car at about the same time. He still owns a nice B5 blue six pack, 4-speed bird. He priced it to me a few months ago but  it's way out of my range. He's mentioned having me make some repairs on it. The GTX that I'm finishing belongs to one of his good friends. The guy owned three large buildings full of six pack and hemi cars. I just bought a perfect set of fenders from him for my wife's Superbird clone. He still had quite a few 70 Coronet fenders and hoods.
Here's some info on the Romeo car. http://wwnboa.org/romeo.htm
yeah larry do a rome clone and wear the outfit   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

hotrod98

I wore bell bottom jeans but that's about as close as I ever got to an outfit like that. I could just go quadruple black like my Daytona clone.
Black car, black interior and black lettering. As for the fourth black, the Daytona has a black wing and the bird could have a black vinyl top.

Oh, and she would never, ever let me paint it pink. This is a girl that's owned many bad to the bone musclecars in her life, most of them 4-speeds or 6-speeds.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 09, 2009, 04:31:30 PM
I wore bell bottom jeans but that's about as close as I ever got to an outfit like that. I could just go quadruple black like my Daytona clone.
Black car, black interior and black lettering. As for the fourth black, the Daytona has a black wing and the bird could have a black vinyl top.

Oh, and she would never, ever let me paint it pink. This is a girl that's owned many bad to the bone musclecars in her life, most of them 4-speeds or 6-speeds.
MY WIFE wants her daytona clone to be pantherpink , Its viper red now and will stay that way untill michele is willing to pay for the complete pink paint job her self .

hotrod98

MY WIFE wants her daytona clone to be pantherpink , Its viper red now and will stay that way untill michele is willing to pay for the complete pink paint job her self .

Whoever writes me the check gets to decide on the color.  :D

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteMY WIFE wants her daytona clone to be pantherpink , Its viper red now and will stay that way untill michele is willing to pay for the complete pink paint job her self  .

don't you luv it when he gets all tough like that  .  :nana:

Ghoste

You aren't the first one I've heard make that observation.

hotrod98

I changed the original FM3 paint formula by including zirilic pearls. Talk about a color that "pops".  :yesnod:
I'm kind of anxious to paint a car that color. I may pull one of the 70 Barracudas out of storage later and build my daughter a pink Cuda clone. She's a second grade school teacher and that car would look pretty good sitting in the grade school parking lot.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 09, 2009, 11:27:56 PM
I changed the original FM3 paint formula by including zirilic pearls. Talk about a color that "pops".  :yesnod:
I'm kind of anxious to paint a car that color. I may pull one of the 70 Barracudas out of storage later and build my daughter a pink Cuda clone. She's a second grade school teacher and that car would look pretty good sitting in the grade school parking lot.
if you need a free test vehicle i'm sure my wife wouldnt object   :smilielol:

hotrod98

Here's a pic of a bulge hood like the one that we bought to convert into a bird hood. I saw this car in person at SEMA last year. The entire car was very nice. I love the blackout on the bulges. It gives the hood a whole new look. The difficult part is going to be cutting up such a rare hood.
I sure hope I don't screw it up. Maybe I should practice on one of my flat hoods first.

Charles Addams

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on July 09, 2009, 04:37:56 PM
MY WIFE wants her daytona clone to be pantherpink

that puts you on the slippery slope to building another Marty car  :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on July 13, 2009, 01:16:49 AM
Quote from: moparstuart on July 09, 2009, 04:37:56 PM
MY WIFE wants her daytona clone to be pantherpink

that puts you on the slippery slope to building another Marty car  :lol:
I love marty , but there only needs to be one ,  I want a fatory stock looking clone anyway .

superbirdtom

you ought to do it in the new hot wheels paint by ppg.  you lay down chrome paint first then candy color it . in the end it looks just like a hot wheels.  the hot wheels lime was always one of my fav.

BigBlockSam

Quotethe hot wheels lime was always one of my fav.

:2thumbs: :cheers:

moparstuart

Quote from: superbirdtom on July 13, 2009, 11:54:15 AM
you ought to do it in the new hot wheels paint by ppg.  you lay down chrome paint first then candy color it . in the end it looks just like a hot wheels.  the hot wheels lime was always one of my fav.
my car is like a giant hot wheels car  , would have been cool

superbirdtom

have you seen the hot wheels paint by ppg?  first you paint it chrome then apply whichever candy color then clearcoat.  or radience by ppg i have done a couple of them  very cool effect as the flakes are actually tiny crystals that efract light in every direction like a road sign reflects light .

hotrod98

I've shot PPG for many years but never did get into the custom paints much. My biggest fear is getting a really good resto job in and them have the customer ask for candies or exotic paints. I can shoot them, I just don't like to. Several guys that have worked for me during the years that I managed a dealership body shop have gotten into shooting the candy stuff. Just this week a guy that painted for me was telling me that he just finished painting pearls on a fiberglass 32 Roadster for a guy only to have the guy decide that the door gaps weren't large enough. He's afraid that the car will flex and damaged the body and paint. So this guy gets to do the entire job over for free. He just didn't think to have the guy check off on the assembly of the car before he started shooting it.
We restore old gas pumps for a guy here locally as filler jobs at time and expense. They end up at a booth at Barrett-Jackson. We just might have to try one of the Hot Wheels colors some time for fun.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

i just finished a candy apple red 66 jazz bass . silver first then the candy red . i have to be close to factory specs ,  so ya gotta be real careful how many coats you put on . or it'll be to dark. Rene

hotrod98

Whenever I paint a three stage pearl, I do a color letdown to determine the number of coats of pearl that will be correct. I've had a couple of guys that worked for me that decided that doing the letdown was too much trouble. I would give them total hell when they had to do the job over.
I would always say... "If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, how in the hell are you going to find the time to do it over?"  :brickwall:

Charles Addams

superbirdtom

Quote from: BigBlockSam on July 14, 2009, 02:58:45 PM
i just finished a candy apple red 66 jazz bass . silver first then the candy red . i have to be close to factory specs ,  so ya gotta be real careful how many coats you put on . or it'll be to dark. Rene

Speaking of a jazz bass , go to the old thread of my black ice superbird. and look at the bass guitar i am holding in one of the photos it is a 66 jazz bass and check out the paint job on it i even painted the fretboard to fade into the body.  That one you did probably looks real sharp a candy red.