News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear 4 link and ford 9

Started by motorcitydak, July 06, 2009, 03:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorcitydak

I searched and didnt see anything about putting in a rear 4 link in. That is something Id really like to do with my 68. The frame rails are not bad, but I want to put in sub frame connectors, torque boxes too. Also, I plan on getting the rear rails down to bare metal and plating them on all 3 sides with maybe 1/8 plate, 12Ga or something like that and making my own triangulated (uppers) 4 link and running coilovers. In thinking 325 tires, maybe a tub if necessary since the truck floor rotted away already.

I know Ill catch flak for a ford 9, but I run one on my off road truck and have 400hp in my dakota, 4.56gears and a detroit locker and 35's without a problem on an axle that weighs about 150 pounds. I know they are stronger than a 60 and way cheaper and lighter. I have 2 spare 9 inch housings and 3rd members anyway. 1 already has some of the link brackets on it. Ill just throw a brace on the back of the housing. I figure I will have to cut it to a custom width, keep the 5x4.5bp and make my own rear disk brake setup.

Im not new to building my own suspensions either, so Im really not worried about having to figure this thing out, Im just looking for insight from some guys that may have already gone this route.

This is not going to be a drag car, just a street machine that I want done rite, It will have a 60 over 440 that may be getting stroked, Im not sure yet. Most likely all motor power, maybe a turbo setup if I get bored down the road, but Id like to make it EFI.
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

ptcharger

You may want to take a look at Reilly Motorsports' Street Lynx.  I've heard nothing but good things about it and Bill Reilly is a wealth of information. 

http://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16175&cat=263&page=1

I'm building a 69 and am going with the the Alterktion front suspension and the Street Lynx rear with a 9 inch as well.

Good luck with your project!  :cheers:

Mike

Blown70

They are stronger than a 60?  Sorry, where did you get this tid bit?

knitz01

Performance Unlimited did a comparo of all the pollulare axles, the nine inch is stronger in there argument
http://performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/gears.html

Blown70

Quote from: knitz01 on July 11, 2009, 12:42:59 PM
Performance Unlimited did a comparo of all the pollulare axles, the nine inch is stronger in there argument
http://performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/gears.html

Nice read, reasonable arguements,  I will stick with my DANA......

TylerCharger69

Here's my personal experience.....I've always heard of the Ford 9" to be a really strong rear end.  Well....the Ford 9" is really bulletproof.........................until you put it under a Mopar.  Mine grenaded.  Couldn't take the pain.  Back with the original 489 case!!! :Twocents:

motorcitydak

A 60 has a 9 3/4 ring gear, obviously a ford is 9 inches, the 60 wins there. The ford however has the pinion mounted onto the ring at almost the bottom of the ring, where as the 60 is higher up, putting the forces more on the sides of the 60 housing. The ford design actually tried to spit the pinion out the front of the diff, not much load is transferred sideways to it. Not to mention that the ford has 3 pinion bearings, the 3rd is in front of the gear head and that doesnt let the head deflect away from the ring at all. It keeps the gears aligned way better than a 60. Not to mention that a 9 weighs 1-200 pounds less. Im sorry to say, but they are a way better axle. As tyler found out, their biggest flaw will come out in case. Ive been in the off road world for the last 6 years. Ive seen TONS of 60 gears that lost teeth because the pinion was able to deflect far enough away from the ring that it got into the thinner parts and eats 4 or 5 teeth off. Thats from the the other side of the pinion not being supported and the housing allowing flex to move the two away. I dont ever recall seeing a detonated ford 9 inch ring gear. When those break, like I said, they spit the pinion carrier rite out the front. 
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

TylerCharger69

Yeah...that's about what happened!! :yesnod:

suntech

Hi there!
I am doing almost the same as you. I have a XV level 2 rear suspention, that will be modifided to a 4 link/ wattslink setup.
I was also debating about what rearend to use, and my first thought was a 60 rear end, but..... they are heavy as shit, and i wanted to reduce unsprung weight, so then i was thinking Ford 9. Then i felt wrong about putting a Ford rear under a Mopar.
I ended up with a Mark Williams Modular rear. I know that is also based on Ford 9 interials, but it is a Mark Williams, and not a Ford!!! Right??

XV runs 335/30 -18, on 12" rims, without tubbing, in the 68 they made. :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

motorcitydak

I looked at that kit, but I think Ill prefer to build my own setup. Id like the uppers to mounted in the middle on the axle and triangulated out to the frame rails. Im debating now on whether to use coil overs or airbags and adjustable shocks. Maybe airbags and IAS shocks. Im not sure yet. i like the idea of mounting the lowers in the leaf spring mounts, but Ill reinforce em anyway. Im bringing my car home on thursday so I  cannot check, but is there room behind the axle for a sway bar?  Anyone with a link setup, lets see some pics! Im for sure going to stay away from ladder bars, I know I can get way better traction from a properly built 4 link that will want to make the car do wheelies
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

suntech

It will not be much left of the XV suspention left on my car either. Just lower arms, sway bar and coilovers. Rest will be fabbed here.
I am going the Pro Touring route, so my setup might be a littl different than yours.
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Blown70

Quote from: motorcitydak on July 15, 2009, 04:39:32 AM
I looked at that kit, but I think Ill prefer to build my own setup. Id like the uppers to mounted in the middle on the axle and triangulated out to the frame rails. Im debating now on whether to use coil overs or airbags and adjustable shocks. Maybe airbags and IAS shocks. Im not sure yet. i like the idea of mounting the lowers in the leaf spring mounts, but Ill reinforce em anyway. Im bringing my car home on thursday so I  cannot check, but is there room behind the axle for a sway bar?  Anyone with a link setup, lets see some pics! Im for sure going to stay away from ladder bars, I know I can get way better traction from a properly built 4 link that will want to make the car do wheelies

Alston has one torque tube type.... not sure if you would like that set-up.