News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

train versus tornado vid

Started by derailed, July 04, 2009, 12:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derailed

Pretty amazing rear unit in cab cam looking back on train. Gets good around the halfway point. Railroad will probably still find a way to blame the crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFe0846RgWc

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

69*F5*SE

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Forza

John_Kunkel

I wonder what "the correct procedure" for the crew would be when a tornado looms. Seems like all one could do is grit your teeth and hang on.

Watched a National Geographic show the other night - Break it Down: Diesel Locomotive - easy to see why the loco stayed on the tracks.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Todd Wilson

Proves once again that a locomotive is the safest spot during a storm!HAHA!  Shoulda buried the hazmat a little further in the train!    It dont take much to blow empty cars off the rail. All our trainlists now have a blow over wind speed on them. They monitor the weather and will slow down or shut down trains if winds and or storms are in the area.  A freak deal though is still gonna happen every once in a while.

Todd

Todd Wilson

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 04, 2009, 05:09:58 PM

I wonder what "the correct procedure" for the crew would be when a tornado looms. Seems like all one could do is grit your teeth and hang on.

Watched a National Geographic show the other night - Break it Down: Diesel Locomotive - easy to see why the loco stayed on the tracks.

If theres a warning issued they will shut down trains. You stay put in the locomotives.  I am a switchman and have been on the other end of the yard when they issue a warning.  Not much place to go but you certainly dont want to be around any railcars and emptys at all.  You try and get back to the locomotive as fast as you can.

You can hear the train go into emergency braking. Must have happened back in the train aways and then the emptys laid over. The engines and the few cars that tipped over slowed down and came to a stop fast. The rest of the train was still trying to stop all the weight and if it was a long train the emergency application of the brakes may not have been applied yet on the rear as the escaping air has to travel the entire length of the train to exhaust and throw the cars into emergency braking.

Then you get run up your *ss!   I hear this was not pleasant to be in a caboose years ago as you will come to a sudden stop in a hurry!

Todd

derailed

Pretty much is the case on our railroad. Although we dont get many tornadoes in this neck of the woods when one does occur were usually the last to know. There was a train blown of the tracks on our line up near Montreal a few years ago right on the St. Lawrence seaway bridge by straight line winds. Luckly it was on West track and blew over towards the east or else it would have been in the drink and its a long ways down. I still think id rather encounter a Tornado than be moving along at 40 mph and come around a curve just to have the tracks hanging there suspended in mid air with the road bed washed out underneath.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: derailed on July 04, 2009, 05:42:44 PM

I still think id rather encounter a Tornado than be moving along at 40 mph and come around a curve just to have the tracks hanging there suspended in mid air with the road bed washed out underneath.

Or a BNSF train that has ran a red signal!

Todd

tan top

damn thats wreck & half ..don't see many on film as its happening  :o
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bearbqd

73 Cuda 440/500hp
71 Javelin in progress

bull

Nice video. :o And it's kind of appropriate considering the thread-starter's username.

BB1

Hey Todd, I ran a red board last year, dam computer told on us.  :smilielol:  ;D

Delete my profile

Todd Wilson

Quote from: BB1 on July 05, 2009, 10:35:57 AM
Hey Todd, I ran a red board last year, dam computer told on us.  :smilielol:  ;D

Should have backed up faster!

Todd

1969chargerrtse

Why is there a camera on the back of a train anyway?  Sure wish they cropped out the first min of watching nothing.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

BB1

Every new engine has a camera on it, some old ones do to.

It's big brother watching our ever move. Every incident can be brought to investigations with video to prove or disprove your actions.
Just like a police camera.

Delete my profile

Todd Wilson

Quote from: BB1 on July 08, 2009, 07:42:42 AM
Every new engine has a camera on it, some old ones do to.

It's big brother watching our ever move. Every incident can be brought to investigations with video to prove or disprove your actions.
Just like a police camera.

Yup!   The camera in the video is actually the one on the nose of a new engine. Its probably running backward with some other engines but they all record.   We are even seeing some of our old crusty switch engines getting them put on. Liability is the main reason.

We had an incident 6 or so years ago on my switch engine. We were coming back from a plant on the old spur. We hit a full size Chevy pickup truck at a crossing. From the point of impact to where we got stopped was 38 feet. Thats how slow we were going. The pickup truck is wadded up pretty good. They guy in it is hurt and trapped. There is a smell of gasoline.  One of the ditch lights on the lower end of the locomotive that hit him is broke and sparking. I get up in the engine and shut the lights off to stop the sparking. Preventing a fire and most likely this guys death. Cops come,Fire Truck come. My crew was pretty shaken up by this whole thing. Sitting there for minutes waiting for them to show up while this guy is jacked up in his truck. Not a pretty site. He got a ride in the helicopter to the big city hospital.

A week later we all get called in on the carpet. Railroad is being sued because this guy didnt yield to an approaching train like you are supposed to.   Said we didnt blow our horn and we didnt have our lights on. Police report says no headlights were on. Since the engines didnt have camera's and the blackbox (like an airplane has) didnt record horn and light switch settings it was our word against theirs. That was one time I wished we had a camera.

I guess I shouldnt have shut the lights off and let the guy burn.

Todd

Todd Wilson

I now have this video as a file if anyone wants it let me know!

Todd

chargergirl

Quote from: Todd Wilson on July 16, 2009, 08:17:47 PM
I now have this video as a file if anyone wants it let me know!

Todd

What you were experiencing is the folks that came from the sue everybody era. Don't take responsibility for your own actions and sue. Companies paid instead of going to court because it was less expensive. Hope your situation came out ok. The cars headed toward the camera were the scariest part of the video!
Trust your Woobie!