News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyway to remove Dash Pad without pulling dash?

Started by NYCMille, May 29, 2009, 08:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCMille

Hey guys -

I'm getting the interior redone in the '68 and I was wondering if there was any way to remove to the dash pad without removing the windshield or entire dash... anyone have any insight into this?

thanks - Mike

Ghoste

The pad can be removed with the glass in but you are going to need a good reach and a flexable back.  It isn't fun or easy but it can be accomplished.

johntpr

You'll need some 1/4 " drive deep sockets, extensions, swivels and patience.  I would take out radio, glove box, and at least loosen and pull out as much as you can the instument cluster. When installing new one, put masking tape strips over pad to correspond where the studs are so you will have an easier time remembering where to put the nuts on the studs. if you need more help,let me know, I'm in Nanuet

69bronzeT5

Yep, it can be done....it's just a major bitch ;)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

BROCK

I would have bet good money that it could not be done :icon_smile_blackeye:
But I found a pad in great shape in a wrecking yard last year.  It does take
patience & determination; but heck yeah :2thumbs:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Hemidog

I'm so glad I replaced mine when I had the dash out, what a pain it would have been!

NYCMille

Thats what I figured... oh well. The MR ANGRY is getting a new interior and we wanted to play with the dash pad, but I don't want to pull windshield out to do it...

bull

It's really not that bad, Mike. Sure it's much easier with the windshield and frame out but that takes time too. Just get a bunch of beer, warm up your cussing voice and go to work.

Here's a couple threads with pics and advice to help you get the idea:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,40560.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6917.0.html

69bronzeT5

When are we gonna see pictures of the new interior Mike?  :popcrn: I loved everything about that interior...actually the interior that I was planning for my '69 will look almost like the one in Mr. Angry.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

maxwellwedge

Take 2 pictures. One of your hands before you start and one after when they are nice and shredded.  ;D

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 05, 2009, 09:15:05 PM
Take 2 pictures. One of your hands before you start and one after when they are nice and shredded.  ;D

:whistling:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: NYCMille on June 04, 2009, 07:30:02 AM
Thats what I figured... oh well. The MR ANGRY is getting a new interior and we wanted to play with the dash pad, but I don't want to pull windshield out to do it...
You do not have to pull glass to get pad off...you do need to remove all the dash panels, inst cluster & glovebox liner....radio can stay in dash.

its not that hard as others are making it out to be....just try and not to cut corners by not removing something to gain access to the studs....you will pay in the long run if you do...  :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on June 05, 2009, 10:00:06 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 05, 2009, 09:15:05 PM

:whistling:

I have big hands - even with stuff removed and out of the way there is still stuff in the way. Not as bad as I said. Take your time and find a comfy spot.

Ghoste

BROCK

I recommend a deep socket, 10" extension & your favorite 1/4 drive ratchet. 
No universals are needed :yesnod:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Old Moparz

Disconnect your battery if you leave things in place.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

1968_Charger

hey mike,
if you are getting rid of that old console you had and want to sell it let me know, i like how it looked.
cant wait to see the new interior! mr. angry is my favorite by far.

rob jett

I just replaced the pad in mine, left the windshield in but the dash had to come out.  My advice... while trying to get the nuts back on the dash pad studs, smash a bit of playdoo in the socket wrench you are using.  This will prevent the nut from continually falling out of the socket as you go through the trial and error process of getting the nuts back on a stud you can barely feel, let alone see.  Other than removing the dash, the dashpad was pretty easy to remove/install.