News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I not have continuity through my plug wires? ..solved

Started by Chargeraddict, July 03, 2009, 10:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargeraddict

Hey guys, Im having a hell of a time with my car, I just finished restoring it and I dont have spark. I have 12 volts at my coil though.. Anyways the module, coil, ig wires, resistor etc are all brand new.. I tried to get my coil to spark to ground through the main ign cable and nothing. I then tried to check for continuity through the cable and my meter says its open... I also tried to ohm out my other cables and they are the same deal however. It seems like there  is silk inside these wires as a conductor instead of actual wire..wth?

UPON FURTHER TESTING IT SEEMS MY METER WONT MEASURE CONTINUITY IN ANY THE VEHICLES PLUG WIRES THAT I OWN!

b5blue

Do yourself a huge favor and order Firecore plug wires from Firefighter! What a freaking difference they make! By far the best wires I've ever run! For years I thought NAPA's Belden Premium were as good as I needed.....they are crap! I'm not sure why you don't have spark tho give us more info, what kind of dist are you running? Check the ground on the ECU, are you sure the resistor "Matches" the coil? Sounds like you have the crappy carbon impregnated wires take them back they fail to soon.

Chargeraddict

I got my whole setup from the chrysler dealership. The guy who sold me everything is a parts guru.. So I would assume everything matches? The wires are the orange mopar performance ones.

John_Kunkel

What scale did you have your ohm meter set on when checking the spark plug wires? Carbon core wires have a lot of resistance, even when brand new.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chargeraddict

My fluke meter is auto ranging. So maybe it is no good for checking?

y3chargerrt

Should be ok. I assumed you touched the leads together on the meter to test it?

Chargeraddict

Ya I did, still nothing, I might look into a new set of wires..even tho these ones are brand new!

Tilar

You have 12 volts AT the coil? Granted it's been quite a few years since I really did much on these cars, but your voltage shouldn't be that high with a resistor inline. If I remember right, the purpose of the resistor was to drop the voltage to the coil to somewhere around 6 volts on the + side.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Chargeraddict

I better check my wiring and do my homework, i guess i dont understand the sequence of operation for the electronic ignition well enough.