News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 upper shoulder belt elastic length? ***With repair**

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, July 03, 2009, 09:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Anyone know approx how long the elastic "should" be on '69 upper shoulder belts?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

maxwellwedge

maxwellwedge

But seriously Folks - I'll measure for you tomorrow

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

About 9, unless it's streached a bit.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks Rob but yours looks stretched more than a bit....my pic was taken about 5 years ago or so....new elastic was sewn in by my sis-in-law about 4 years prior to the pic.  mine is starting to sag again now.  Looking to get an approx measurement, but in hindsight i dont think it really matters as the buckle can take up whatever slack there might be.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69 OUR/TEA

I got a ?,does anyone ever even use them?????

Just 6T9 CHGR

I never do....prolly why the elastic is shot again :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Same for me  Chris.  Mine are starting to sag.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

maxwellwedge

Sorry - I have had company since Thursday - I'll get over to the car and measure Monday.

resq302

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 05, 2009, 06:03:29 PM
Sorry - I have had company since Thursday - I'll get over to the car and measure Moday.

Poor excuse. :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

maxwellwedge

Quote from: resq302 on July 06, 2009, 06:55:04 AM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 05, 2009, 06:03:29 PM
Sorry - I have had company since Thursday - I'll get over to the car and measure Moday.

Poor excuse. :lol:

I know. But it's all I got!  ;D

maxwellwedge

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on July 04, 2009, 05:58:53 AM
Gracias....

PS---flaccid please ;)

5.0" from the very end of the seat belt material to the center of the snap. The measurement was taken with the snap undone. Hope that helps!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thank you kind sir...something to work with
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

THE COLONEL

Both of mine hang down so far it hit the brim of my hat when I turn my head.  I need to fix that.  Probably a dumb question, but do they make repro elastic, or have some of you just bought some and made your own.  That sounds cheaper, and who would see it?
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Just 6T9 CHGR

After being turned down by the local Dry Cleaners to do the sewing ("belt too tick...you break ma-chene"), I decided to give it a go myself.

Broke out a fairly thin needle & some black thread out of wifey's sewing kit.
The elastic needed is 3/4" wide. (1 pack (1 yard) is enough) and the snaps are 5/8"  Picked them up at the craft store for about $5 total

Using Max's measurement of 5", I came up with the approx measurement of a 14" piece of elastic to do the job.  The elastic needed is 3/4" wide.

Looking at the elastic you will see it is folded under the end of the belt, hence the need for the extra length.

Overall not too hard to sew....I kinda followed the holes that were already in the webbing....the needle pushes through fairly easy.  I figure it took me 15 min a side to remove the old elastic & sew in the new piece.
Now adding the button is a different story...you see a button installation tool is needed to crimp the snap into place....didnt have one so.....I just used a Phillips screw driver to split the brass collar & then a punch to peen it over, locking the snap into place.

looking at the pics below you'll see inn the first pic the old belt on top & the new elsatic on the bottom.

second pic shows the 5" from the end of the belt to the center of the snap.

Slapped them back in & no more need for those paper clips!! (at least not for about 8 or so years)

Hope it helps someone!  :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

UFO

Quote from: THE COLONEL on July 07, 2009, 07:26:48 AM
Both of mine hang down so far it hit the brim of my hat when I turn my head.  I need to fix that.  Probably a dumb question, but do they make repro elastic, or have some of you just bought some and made your own.  That sounds cheaper, and who would see it?

If you need a new headliner,it's easier to just not reinstall the shoulder belts.

Ghoste

But then you cheat the car of part of it's "Chargerness". :Twocents:

1969chargerrtse

Wow, great info chris, thanks for sharing.  I'll do mine soonish.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

resq302

Chris,

Was the snaps color coded to the color of the belt?  I thought they were chrome snaps?
Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on July 08, 2009, 07:21:44 AM
Chris,

Was the snaps color coded to the color of the belt?  I thought they were chrome snaps?
My originals were black if I remember correctly the first time I did them....thats why I got black ones....believe me the chrome ones were easier to find...anyone else?  Hard to tell in the pic but it looks like Rob's are black as well...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Yep mine are black buttons, but my black straps have that green tint most of them fade to.
When I was driving around looking for snaps for another project, I finally gave up driving around all weekend and just searched for snaps on the net and I had what I needed in a few days right in my mail box.
Nice to see you fiddling with the classic again, it did a lot of sitting when you bought the 4dr. I mean other Charger.  :icon_smile_big: