News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

YOM (Year of Manufacture) Plates

Started by ChgrSteve67, July 03, 2009, 12:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

CA State Law just changed to allow people to assign Year of Manufacture plates to cars 1969 and older starting July 1st.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004_1.htm

Well I went down to DMV today to get it done and put a set of plates of my Charger.

The person helping me was very friendly, said he just got training on it last week and they warned them that they were going to get lots of people comming in for this. I was the first one to actually come in, lucky me. He must have fallen asleep durring training because he was totally lost. It took 5 people to get all of the paperwork done. I retained my personalized plates just in case everything goes south on this.

One of the people "Helping" believed he was the "Expert" on all of this because he said he did it all of the time in the Bay Area. (law went into affect 2 days ago and he does it all of the time) This guy starts telling the person doing my paperwork that it will not go through because I don't have proof that the Black and Yellow plates I want assigned to my car were not the origional plates that came on my car.   I told him the program didn't start until two days ago, its called "Year of Manufacture" program not "Origional Plate" program.   If I had the origional plates and proof they were origionally on my car I would not have had to wait till July and I could have come down here any time to do this. He did not say anything else to me after that and just processed the paperwork.

OK so here is the result.
I have the Black and Yellow plates, I have my personalized plates which they told me to put back on the car. I have copies of all of the origionals including copies they made of the black and yellow plates and dementions of the plates they took to verify they are real.

The origional paperwork now gets sent off to DMV Headquarters for review and approval. If the application is approved I will recieve new registration and tags in the mail. No one knew how long it would take so I will let you know when it arrives.

Steve

2Gunz

So what do I need to do to get black plates for and on my car?

Find a set of black plates?

mauve66

still pretty cool if it works out, good luck
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

ChgrSteve67

I got my plates from my wife's Uncle that bought his sisters car 20 years ago and took it to washington. He kept the plates on the garage wall. When we told him about the car and asked about the plates he gave them to us.

It should be as simple as having a good set of plates and filling out this application.
•Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plate Application (VC §5004.1)

But we will see.

Of course they also want money.
I don't think thye charged me what they were supose to so I'm expecting a letter saying "Send us more money".

moparstuart

I just found a missouri 70  440 plate 2 months ago for the birdible
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

mauve66

every Missouri plate i find is only a sticker for the 66, not imbossed so i'm picking up a set from Colorado which is where the car was originally sold
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

68charger383

I went down on 7/1/09, but the line wrapped around the outside of the building and after 15 minutes and two feet of movement, I bailed.

Hopefully a few people have done this process already so I can sail in and out without the drama.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

bull

Here in Oregon we can use original-style YOM plates that were already used and/or restored so long as they're not still assigned to a vehicle, but IIRC we have to register them as vanity plates so it costs around $80/year. We can also run one new "special interest" yellow back/blue letter vintage-style plate on the back that only cost something like a $30 one time fee but that style didn't show up until 1975 so it doesn't look right on any '66-'74 Charger. So do I pay a one-time fee of $30 for something that's a bit off or $80 a year to use the authentic, '65-'74 plates which are blue back with yellow letters?

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: bull on July 03, 2009, 02:48:52 PM
Here in Oregon we can use original-style YOM plates that were already used and/or restored so long as they're not still assigned to a vehicle,

That's about the same set of rules here in Ontario.

" Under the YOM plates program, the following conditions have to be satisfied:

* The vehicle must be a historic vehicle at least 30 years old and substantially unchanged or unmodified from the original manufacturer's product.
    * Only plates manufactured in Ontario will be considered.
    * The plates will be authenticated by comparing the requested plate with an original sample from the same year to ensure that the requested plate corresponds with the material used, colour scheme, layout and numbering sequence."

Here's the kicker:
"Send plates, vehicle registration, and your payment for the YOM application fee of $235.25 "

THEN:
"   * Once the plate application is reviewed, a letter approving or declining the request is sent to the sender along with the YOM plates.
    * If declined, the application fee and the plates are returned to sender.
    * If approved, the vehicle owner takes the letter of approval and YOM plates to a Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office.
    * The vehicle owner pays the required fees to have the plates registered and attached to the historic vehicle.
"

Dodge Don

I bought a mint set of 1970 Ontario plates and will be going through the YOM program when I'm ready. And on top of that they are the D11 doctor plates. No I'm not a doctor but a cool option.

0X01B8

Michigan allows you to use a period correct plate, in my case a '68, but ours was green w/ yellow letters, which looks like crap on a red car.  I would have gone with it otherwise.  In the late 70s we had black plates, which were cool.

jaak

Alabama, just started doing this also. I have a 69 plate, that I can use on the 69 when its done, I need to find me a 73 plate for the Rallye. I think it cool it can run old plates now.

Jason

471_Magnum

Indiana started a YOM plate program about a year ago, but it's really expensive. It's like an extra $75/year IIRC. I refuse to pay it. If I were to spend that, I'd probably go with a vanity plate instead.

Anyway, I have a few old plates, and on my GTX I would install a YOM plate over my legal plate at car shows. Just had to remember to remove it before hitting the road. I forgot a time or two, but never got busted.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Todd Wilson

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Todd Wilson

I guess I am lucky. My parts store has brand new un issued Kansas tags still in the KDOT envelopes for sale. Heres one I got for Frankie a few years back.

Brand new never been on a car.

Todd

A383Wing

As I stated on the other forum, I still got the original OE plates the car was first registered with on this Charger...all the others have collector plates

jaak

Quote from: mauve66 on July 03, 2009, 09:52:29 PM
Quote from: jaak on July 03, 2009, 07:03:58 PM
Alabama, just started doing this also. I have a 69 plate, that I can use on the 69 when its done, I need to find me a 73 plate for the Rallye. I think it cool it can run old plates now.

Jason

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ALABAMA-AUTO-LICENSE-PLATES-72-73_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem1c0af45d4dQQitemZ120442871117QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f0QQsalenotsupported

Hey....Thanks for the link man, might go ahead and get that thing!

Jason

bull

FWIW, I just contacted a plate restoration business at www.oregonplates.com to ask about the vanity plate vs. special interest plate issue and I was told I can register my period-correct, unassigned plates as special interest plates for a one-time fee of $81. Oregon DMV told me I had to register them as vanity plates which is about $80 each year. :slap:

No one probably cares except to say that you might check with your local plate restoration business (if you have one) because they probably know the state laws better than anyone at the local motor vehicles dept. They can probably cite the exact ordinance too and that would be good ammunition to take with you when you go to register.

ChgrSteve67

Still no word from the DMV.

I got excited the other day when I got a letter in the mail from them but it turned out to be the registration renewal for my PT.

Neal_J

Steve, did you ever get your black plates?

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

BrianShaughnessy

There's a bunch of paper work and mumbo jumbo to getting old plates in NY... not the least that for certain years like 69, there was a sticker indicating the year which the plate has to have.    And frankly I don't got the time or patience to deal with it.

I don't really give 2 craps about vanity plates either.  If you like yours?  Congrats.

But there I was at Stormville flea market on Sunday diggin thru old plates.  And I came up with 1 lonely red 69 Michigan plate.    I heard there's a way to register old out of state plates in NY so I dug thru the box some more but came up empty.  Gotta have 2 here.  
  But what I would really like are 79 Michigan plates to put on Sinnamon cause, well I didn't own the car new but I owned it for HS graduation.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

omglandv

ChgrSteve67

Have not got the stickers and new registration yet.  Took them only three days to cach my check.

I have called them several times and no one has been assigned to process the paperwork yet.

I believe its because of the ferlows and layoffs of the state workers. There is a lot of screw you going on in CA and state agencies are picking and choosing what they want to work on and what they won't work on. I'm sure there is a big pile of these requests sitting somewhere and are not going to get touched for a long time.

My wife went to a franchise tax board (CA Tax Man) seminar for tax preparers, the IRS showed, EDD, Board of Equlization and social security showed but FTB didn't even send anyone to represent at thier own seminar.

I'll give them a call again in a few weeks.

Steve