News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

YOM (Year of Manufacture) Plates

Started by ChgrSteve67, July 03, 2009, 12:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

CA State Law just changed to allow people to assign Year of Manufacture plates to cars 1969 and older starting July 1st.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004_1.htm

Well I went down to DMV today to get it done and put a set of plates of my Charger.

The person helping me was very friendly, said he just got training on it last week and they warned them that they were going to get lots of people comming in for this. I was the first one to actually come in, lucky me. He must have fallen asleep durring training because he was totally lost. It took 5 people to get all of the paperwork done. I retained my personalized plates just in case everything goes south on this.

One of the people "Helping" believed he was the "Expert" on all of this because he said he did it all of the time in the Bay Area. (law went into affect 2 days ago and he does it all of the time) This guy starts telling the person doing my paperwork that it will not go through because I don't have proof that the Black and Yellow plates I want assigned to my car were not the origional plates that came on my car.   I told him the program didn't start until two days ago, its called "Year of Manufacture" program not "Origional Plate" program.   If I had the origional plates and proof they were origionally on my car I would not have had to wait till July and I could have come down here any time to do this. He did not say anything else to me after that and just processed the paperwork.

OK so here is the result.
I have the Black and Yellow plates, I have my personalized plates which they told me to put back on the car. I have copies of all of the origionals including copies they made of the black and yellow plates and dementions of the plates they took to verify they are real.

The origional paperwork now gets sent off to DMV Headquarters for review and approval. If the application is approved I will recieve new registration and tags in the mail. No one knew how long it would take so I will let you know when it arrives.

Steve

2Gunz

So what do I need to do to get black plates for and on my car?

Find a set of black plates?

mauve66

still pretty cool if it works out, good luck
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

ChgrSteve67

I got my plates from my wife's Uncle that bought his sisters car 20 years ago and took it to washington. He kept the plates on the garage wall. When we told him about the car and asked about the plates he gave them to us.

It should be as simple as having a good set of plates and filling out this application.
•Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plate Application (VC §5004.1)

But we will see.

Of course they also want money.
I don't think thye charged me what they were supose to so I'm expecting a letter saying "Send us more money".

moparstuart

I just found a missouri 70  440 plate 2 months ago for the birdible
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

mauve66

every Missouri plate i find is only a sticker for the 66, not imbossed so i'm picking up a set from Colorado which is where the car was originally sold
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

68charger383

I went down on 7/1/09, but the line wrapped around the outside of the building and after 15 minutes and two feet of movement, I bailed.

Hopefully a few people have done this process already so I can sail in and out without the drama.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

bull

Here in Oregon we can use original-style YOM plates that were already used and/or restored so long as they're not still assigned to a vehicle, but IIRC we have to register them as vanity plates so it costs around $80/year. We can also run one new "special interest" yellow back/blue letter vintage-style plate on the back that only cost something like a $30 one time fee but that style didn't show up until 1975 so it doesn't look right on any '66-'74 Charger. So do I pay a one-time fee of $30 for something that's a bit off or $80 a year to use the authentic, '65-'74 plates which are blue back with yellow letters?

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: bull on July 03, 2009, 02:48:52 PM
Here in Oregon we can use original-style YOM plates that were already used and/or restored so long as they're not still assigned to a vehicle,

That's about the same set of rules here in Ontario.

" Under the YOM plates program, the following conditions have to be satisfied:

* The vehicle must be a historic vehicle at least 30 years old and substantially unchanged or unmodified from the original manufacturer's product.
    * Only plates manufactured in Ontario will be considered.
    * The plates will be authenticated by comparing the requested plate with an original sample from the same year to ensure that the requested plate corresponds with the material used, colour scheme, layout and numbering sequence."

Here's the kicker:
"Send plates, vehicle registration, and your payment for the YOM application fee of $235.25 "

THEN:
"   * Once the plate application is reviewed, a letter approving or declining the request is sent to the sender along with the YOM plates.
    * If declined, the application fee and the plates are returned to sender.
    * If approved, the vehicle owner takes the letter of approval and YOM plates to a Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office.
    * The vehicle owner pays the required fees to have the plates registered and attached to the historic vehicle.
"

Dodge Don

I bought a mint set of 1970 Ontario plates and will be going through the YOM program when I'm ready. And on top of that they are the D11 doctor plates. No I'm not a doctor but a cool option.

0X01B8

Michigan allows you to use a period correct plate, in my case a '68, but ours was green w/ yellow letters, which looks like crap on a red car.  I would have gone with it otherwise.  In the late 70s we had black plates, which were cool.

jaak

Alabama, just started doing this also. I have a 69 plate, that I can use on the 69 when its done, I need to find me a 73 plate for the Rallye. I think it cool it can run old plates now.

Jason

471_Magnum

Indiana started a YOM plate program about a year ago, but it's really expensive. It's like an extra $75/year IIRC. I refuse to pay it. If I were to spend that, I'd probably go with a vanity plate instead.

Anyway, I have a few old plates, and on my GTX I would install a YOM plate over my legal plate at car shows. Just had to remember to remove it before hitting the road. I forgot a time or two, but never got busted.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Todd Wilson

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Todd Wilson

I guess I am lucky. My parts store has brand new un issued Kansas tags still in the KDOT envelopes for sale. Heres one I got for Frankie a few years back.

Brand new never been on a car.

Todd

A383Wing

As I stated on the other forum, I still got the original OE plates the car was first registered with on this Charger...all the others have collector plates

jaak

Quote from: mauve66 on July 03, 2009, 09:52:29 PM
Quote from: jaak on July 03, 2009, 07:03:58 PM
Alabama, just started doing this also. I have a 69 plate, that I can use on the 69 when its done, I need to find me a 73 plate for the Rallye. I think it cool it can run old plates now.

Jason

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ALABAMA-AUTO-LICENSE-PLATES-72-73_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem1c0af45d4dQQitemZ120442871117QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f0QQsalenotsupported

Hey....Thanks for the link man, might go ahead and get that thing!

Jason

bull

FWIW, I just contacted a plate restoration business at www.oregonplates.com to ask about the vanity plate vs. special interest plate issue and I was told I can register my period-correct, unassigned plates as special interest plates for a one-time fee of $81. Oregon DMV told me I had to register them as vanity plates which is about $80 each year. :slap:

No one probably cares except to say that you might check with your local plate restoration business (if you have one) because they probably know the state laws better than anyone at the local motor vehicles dept. They can probably cite the exact ordinance too and that would be good ammunition to take with you when you go to register.

ChgrSteve67

Still no word from the DMV.

I got excited the other day when I got a letter in the mail from them but it turned out to be the registration renewal for my PT.

Neal_J

Steve, did you ever get your black plates?

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

BrianShaughnessy

There's a bunch of paper work and mumbo jumbo to getting old plates in NY... not the least that for certain years like 69, there was a sticker indicating the year which the plate has to have.    And frankly I don't got the time or patience to deal with it.

I don't really give 2 craps about vanity plates either.  If you like yours?  Congrats.

But there I was at Stormville flea market on Sunday diggin thru old plates.  And I came up with 1 lonely red 69 Michigan plate.    I heard there's a way to register old out of state plates in NY so I dug thru the box some more but came up empty.  Gotta have 2 here.  
  But what I would really like are 79 Michigan plates to put on Sinnamon cause, well I didn't own the car new but I owned it for HS graduation.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

omglandv

ChgrSteve67

Have not got the stickers and new registration yet.  Took them only three days to cach my check.

I have called them several times and no one has been assigned to process the paperwork yet.

I believe its because of the ferlows and layoffs of the state workers. There is a lot of screw you going on in CA and state agencies are picking and choosing what they want to work on and what they won't work on. I'm sure there is a big pile of these requests sitting somewhere and are not going to get touched for a long time.

My wife went to a franchise tax board (CA Tax Man) seminar for tax preparers, the IRS showed, EDD, Board of Equlization and social security showed but FTB didn't even send anyone to represent at thier own seminar.

I'll give them a call again in a few weeks.

Steve

bull

That's too bad. This thread and a couple other license plate threads here prompted me to get mine dealt with last July and in August they finally mailed me a special interest sticker for my YOM plates so now I'm good to go... if it ever runs again.

ChgrSteve67

So the latest update.

I used multiple phones this moring and starting war dialing the number the gave me.
The first phone that didn't get the "Business hours are from..." rang about 20 times and just disconnected.
The other phones got a message that I will get to talk to a person when one is available.
Within about 5 minutes I got a real person on one of the phones so I hung the other up.

After she did some research she said the department that processes these applications have started working on the apps that were submitted on July 1st.
Mine was submitted on July 3rd so my app is close. She also told me that usually these types of application take 3 to 4 weeks to process but because of the budget cuts it has trippled the time it normally takes them.

Nothing else to do but wait.

Neal_J

Steve:

Thanks for the update.  Your info is very helpful.

So what was the process @ DMV.  Did you bring the plates & the form?  Do they collect the plates from you?  And what was the cost?

Thanks again!~

ChgrSteve67

I printed the form off the Internet and filled it out a head of time.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg352.htm

Took in the Black and Yellow plates along with the current plates on the car and the current registration.

The application fee is $45 dollars but the guy told me $15. I asked him three times if that was right and he said yes.
I think when they get around to processing the app they are going to ask for more money.

They photo copied everything including the B&Y plates and wrote down the dementions of them.
They gave me back copied of everything and the actual plates.

No one at DMV had done this before so it was a bit of a circus.

68X426

It sure is good that you have the plates in your hands. What with the DMV's insane methods, this is one time that possession really is 9/10ths of the law.

If they grab them, you could just disappear into the black (plate) hole that is our government. (Apologies to all the DMV worker bees on the forum).

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

ChgrSteve67

After three months I got my paperwork back from DMV.

Your going to love this.

The DMV denied my application for the following reason...
1963 PLATES CANNOT BE ASSIGNED TO A 1967 VEHICLE

Here is a web site that lists the various model years and the appropriate base plate for each year.
http://www.oldpl8s.com/faqs.htm
It's about half way down the page under. "License plates used for more than 1 year 1945 – 1969"
1967 California License Plates used 1963 base plates with 1967 sticker

What a bunch of idiots.

Dans 68

You sound surprised? I'm not. Those idiots need more than a dozen run throughs to get anything right. Let us know how it all ends up. I'm waiting until I hear from you.... :popcrn:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Neal_J

Bummer.   Hardly unexpected from our fine DMV, but bummer still. 
So, what's you next move, Steve?.

bull

Well, at least you now have the address where this denial came from, right? If so I would copy/print out all of the information they need to make the correct decision and send it right back. The website you linked above instructs applicants to do that and if you don't feel you have enough information I would email the guy at oldpl8s.com and ask him for links to the proper documentation you need to support your case.

ChgrSteve67

The DMV envelope does not have the address of the department that mailed it.

I have found a couple of addresses online but they are probably black holes.

Next move is I have sent a email with documentation to the local news media I have dealt with in the past to deal with DMV issues.

I will also send off the same documentation to the two black hole address and see what happens.

I got nothing but time and postage stamps.

375instroke

Jackasses.  In Washington, the DMV is privately run, so the lines are never more than 4 people long, they are friendly, and they know what they are doing.  I handed them a plate my neighbor had hanging on his wall for my '69, and after a few moments, I had the plate assigned to my car for $35.  You only need a rear plate, no sticker, and no more yearly registration fees.  A plate originally issued in '69 looks the same from '68 to '86, and they don't check the number to see when the plate was made, if that is even possible.  I still have the black CA plates off my '68 R/T that the DMV wouldn't let me keep registered for it since it fell off their books.  I guess the owner of that car now would like them.

ChgrSteve67

I got a call from the news station today and then about 10 minutes later a call from the DMV.

Here is the Deal....
now keep in mind I did nto create these rules.

You must have a Year Sticker that matches they year your car was made and attach it to one of the plates when DMV inspects it.  The lady at DMV told me that most people buy them off ebay.

DMV will then send me year and month stickers and tabs for the plates.
The tabs are for the new year stickers so the model year sticker does not get covered.

I asked them if they wanted proof I got a sticker and she said no she would take my word for it.
So if I send her my paper work back she will process it and send me my stickers and documents.

I will do that tonight and we will see how long it takes.

Steve

Dans 68

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on October 01, 2009, 05:14:38 PM
I got a call from the news station today and then about 10 minutes later a call from the DMV.

Had to get a 3rd party involved...wow...but good result! What will the "tab" look like so that the year sticker will not get covered? It doesn't sound too clean:scratchchin:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Neal_J

Not to be thick, but what's a year sticker and where does it go?

In other words, the left tab is for the month and the right tab is for the current year registration sticker.  Where does this third sticker go?     Front Plate?  Windshield?  Forehead?

ChgrSteve67

Month goes in Month area, Model year sticker goes in current year area and DMV will give me a metal tab for the current year sticker.

I'm not sure how that is going to look

Dans 68

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on October 01, 2009, 05:59:32 PM
Month goes in Month area, Model year sticker goes in current year area and DMV will give me a metal tab for the current year sticker.

I'm not sure how that is going to look

Lovely, just lovely.  :eek2:

Dan

Neal_J

Wow, that's interesting.  Only my show plate, I have the old-style month SEPT tab (in red, the new ones that DMV gives out now are blue) and a repop gold 1969 registration sticker (got it from the Ohlone show a few years back).  In fact, I've ran this plate combo around town and the bored Alameda cops don't seem to care. 

Man, I'd just chuck that metal tab in the glove compartment.   But what a Mickey Mouse DMV solution.

ChgrSteve67

They could make a overlay to cover the origional stickers if you didn't want to put the new stickers on the plates or let you put the new stickers on the plates.

Or just make the old plates and charge you a arm and leg for them.

ChgrSteve67

Got my YOM reproduction stickers for the plates today so now I'm just waiting on DMV to re-process my paperwork and give me the real deal.

Dans 68

Steve,

So, according to the rules one needs an original "year" sticker for the plate (is this a special sticker or can a year sticker be made?), and then you also need to show the standard month and registration year stickers that all cars now have. Can the year sticker be mounted on the front plate, and the month and registration year stickers on the back plate? As I recollect in yesteryear the plates had the month sticker and then yearly "year" stickers. SNAFU seems to be the name of the game.  ::)

Dan

ChgrSteve67

I have not seen "The Rules" and can't seem to find any when it comes to the YOM tags.
I can not find definitive instructions on displaying the tags either.

So hear is my logic in all of this.

There is a place on the application where you specify the color and year of the YOM tag.

Since
Having a year tag that was not assigned to your car is against the law.
Having a year tag that was assigned to another car displayed on your car is against the law. (Note: No where on the application is there a place to write down the tags registration number)
Possesing a Year tag that has not been assigned to a car is against the law.
And making tags are against the law.
Whats the difference what I display as long as my actual renewal tag is real and assigned to my car?

I have seen no where that states the sticker has to be a real sticker issued by the DMV.

My understanding of all of this is you are suppose to display a year sticker (real or not) that coresponds to you model year in the upper right box and the month sticker in the upper left box. You do not need to display the correct color YOM Month sticker so you can put your new Blue month sticker in the upper left box. (Month tag info was told to me by the person at DMV)

The new registration year sticker is suppose to be attached to one of the metal tags they give you and attach it to the top or bottom of the plate on the right side.

As for the Month sticker I don't believe CA started issuing them until the mid 70s which is why you see so many plates with the year stickers alternating between the two sides.  The first ones issued were red and the current ones today are blue.

I am still waiting for my final paperwork to see what additional information the DMV provides if any.

Steve

blue69

I think there is more to a 1967 plate than having a base 1963 plate with a 1967 sticker. I think the numbers went sequentially and they can tell by the first three digits which time period the plates where issued.

ChgrSteve67

True
but the CA DMV does not care about that, any 1963 base plate will do.

I think there is a plate seller on ebag that lists the years and the starting letters that corespond to the correct years.

I would love to find a set that starts with WTF, LOL or BRB and the number 383

ChgrSteve67

I found this on the DMV Site
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/newsrel/newsrel09/2009-30.htm

To qualify for use, plate configuration cannot have a current record on DMV files.  The year sticker displayed on the plates must coincide with the year model of the vehicle being registered with the exception of 1963 year model vehicles.

Black and gold plates without a year sticker can be used for 1963 vehicles as no validating year stickers were issued in 1963.  Plates for 1964 through 1972 must be presented with a sticker that matches the year model of the vehicle the plates will be used on.  For example, a 1966 Chevy Nomad Wagon will require that a set of black and yellow plates with a 1966 sticker issued by DMV in that year be presented for use.  

So this would mean to me that a DMV issued sticker is required and reproduction stickers and stickers that were never issued cannot be used.

bull

The news station? What's that all about?

ChgrSteve67

Its a problems solvers team they run.

They got the hook up.

bull

Interesting. Is this print or TV news? Either way I'd like to see what they had to say if you've got a copy of it for us.

ChgrSteve67

Its a Sacramento TV News Station

http://www.kcra.com/call3/index.html

They have not done a story on my problem and I don't really think they will, but they do help people get problems solved. News Stations seem to know the right people to talk to when your faced with dealing with stoopid people or people that do not have the authority to solve problems.

They did a story on DirectTV when they charges a family a early termination fee after thier house burned down.
Needless to say they did not have to pay the fee.

Public embarrassment is an amazing motivator.

ChgrSteve67

This is the closest information about the year break down and sequence of plates issued.

Note: This is someones personal research not anything definative from the DMV or historical agency.

[My research has shown the 1963-69 year-by-year, letter allocation breakdown has some overlap, but generally plates BEGINNING with the following letters correspond to the year of issue: ABCD= 1963, EFGHI=1964, JKLMN=1965, OPQRS=1966, TUVW=1967, WXYZ=1968-69]

Got info from here
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43097

Personally I don't think DMV kept track or had any method to the madness.
I think they started at AAA and just went in sequence till they almost ran out.
Then changed to Blue and Yellow plates

Thus the reason DMV does not require a specific year sequence to put on a YOM car.

rt green

south Dakota doesn't have that kind of nightmare. step 1- lic the vehicle (20 yrs or older ) step 2- find the special form on line step 3- fill out the very short  form step4- take a pic of the intended plates to be used step 5- attach pic of plates to form along with a check for 10 bucks. step 6- receve registration in mail.    and never pay for plates again.
I'm not poking fun at cal, but its unbelievable the hassle and man hrs wasted for such a simple thing
third string oil changer

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: rt green on October 08, 2009, 06:10:08 AM
I'm not poking fun at cal, but its unbelievable the hassle and man hrs wasted for such a simple thing

Go ahead and poke fun because this is some stupid crap.

Basicly CA is making these just like personalized plates but they don't have to make them.
Honestly I think they should supply all stickers and instruction on how to properly display them.

Its a money maker.
My registration for this car will run me $80 - $100 a year.
Thank got it does not require a smog or safety inspection.
but give them time.

Neal_J

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on October 08, 2009, 11:13:39 AM
Basicly CA is making these just like personalized plates but they don't have to make them.

Funny you say that.  Thinking I'd discovered a way to short-circuit the process, last night I tried to order a new "environmental" custom plate for my Charger using the old format 123-ABC plate # that my car originally had. I figured I could have a custom black plate made and avoid all the DMV hassle. 

Alas, DMV site won't allow the old 123-ABC plate combinations, even on the new (non-black) custom plates.

Grrrr.

ChgrSteve67

Yep

They blocked that many years ago.

I know a few people that have painted thier plates black and yellow or blue and yellow (some personalized) since they could not put the correct one on.

There are a few places that will make any plate you want.
I do not know the quality or if you could pass them off at the local DMV as real.
I'm sure you could eventually find someone at DMV that does not know how to tell a real from a fake.
I bet more than a few will try and a few will suceed.

Neal_J

Roger that.  I used Darryl's in PA to restore the black plates on my Olds and there's another place that makes exact duplicates but they won't ship to CA.  They do ship to friends in Colorado, however....

375instroke

What's the deal with needing a year sticker matching the vehicle year?  What's the point?  Wouldn't a new 1969 vehicle, for instance, be issued a 1970 year sticker, since that's when the next year's registration would be due?  Idiots!

ChgrSteve67

Well another interesting day between the News station and the DMV.

News station called me asking if my problem was resolved. = No
Asked if I tried to contact them about it. = Yes twice left message and no return call.
News person said she was going to escallate to her director because she was going to be gone for the next two weeks.
Also asked if I would be willing to apear on camera if the station chose to do a story about this. = Sure

1 hour later the DMV calls me asking if I have recieved my registration yet.  = LOL = ah No
She asks me for the Black plate number and I give it to her.
She reads my home address back to me and its right.
She then tells me that she processed my registration on the 6th and sent it out the next day. = I have to Take her word for it
So according to her I should get my registration any day. = yeah after she mails it out today.

So I ask if she included the metal tabs for displaying the tags with the paperwork. She said no and asked if I wanted to display my year sticker and that I only needed the metal tabs if I chose to display the 1967 year sticker. I then asked her if I had a choice on wheather or not I had to display the 1967 year sticker and just put the current year and month on the black plates. she said yes and that she would send me a set of tabs anyways.

Strainge that I have to have the 1967 sticker for the plates in order to register them to my car but I don't have to use it or display them.

The saga continues.

Dans 68

Thanks for the update, Steve. Government inertia is a bitch to overcome.  :rotz:  So, then, why does one need the year sticker...????

I hope to see you Sunday morning! 8:00 am, correct?

Dan

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: Dans 68 on October 15, 2009, 10:16:35 PM
Thanks for the update, Steve. Government inertia is a bitch to overcome.  :rotz:  So, then, why does one need the year sticker...????

Dan

Hell if I know.

8AM ?  I though it was 10 AM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,61527.msg691204.html#msg691204

Dans 68

You're right. I must be anxious or something.... :laugh:

Dan

ChgrSteve67

Well I finally got my registration and tags today.

Processed on the 6th

Mailed on the 15th

I was suprised to see a Month sticker included.

squeakfinder

Quote from: bull on July 04, 2009, 02:31:45 AM
FWIW, I just contacted a plate restoration business at www.oregonplates.com to ask about the vanity plate vs. special interest plate issue and I was told I can register my period-correct, unassigned plates as special interest plates for a one-time fee of $81. Oregon DMV told me I had to register them as vanity plates which is about $80 each year. :slap:

No one probably cares except to say that you might check with your local plate restoration business (if you have one) because they probably know the state laws better than anyone at the local motor vehicles dept. They can probably cite the exact ordinance too and that would be good ammunition to take with you when you go to register.

Bull,

Did you ever get this figured out. Did you have to register as vanity plates for $81.00 a year or are they like the antique plates for the one time fee but you can only drive the car in parades? Or is it something else?
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....