News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

mat that goes between tank and floor

Started by chargerkid01, July 01, 2009, 10:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerkid01

What is the purpose of the mat that goes between the fuel tank and trunk floor? What is it made out of? Do I need it? Can I make my own?

John_Kunkel

I've used 30 pound heavy roofing felt paper, serves the same purpose and cheaper.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Try and not use the early Year One repro's that are just made of foam rubber....if your car is a daily or sees rain, the foam has a chance to retain water & rust out your tank from the top......one of the small items I have to correct myself  :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

green69rt

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on July 02, 2009, 08:02:31 PM
Try and not use the early Year One repro's that are just made of foam rubber....if your car is a daily or sees rain, the foam has a chance to retain water & rust out your tank from the top......one of the small items I have to correct myself  :Twocents:

Sounds like we sould find some solid hard rubber material.  I don't like the idea of putting something that can hold water under my car!!

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

Quote from: green69rt on July 02, 2009, 10:28:28 PM
Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on July 02, 2009, 08:02:31 PM

Sounds like we sould find some solid hard rubber material.  I don't like the idea of putting something that can hold water under my car!!

That's why the original stuff is like tar paper. It prevents moisture from getting between the tank and trunk floor and also prevents vibration.

carolina charger

I installed my new tank this morning. I followed John_Kunkels advice and used a piece of heavy roofing felt.

chargerkid01

Hey thanks for the ideas, here is what I'm going to do. Rhino line top of tank then clear the entire tank so bottom is natural finish, then roofing paper it since I have some. My tank staps are getting the same treatment liner on the side that goes to the tank then clear for natural finish!! What you all think??

motorcitydak

The mat is there to insulate the tank from the car I am assuming. What about applying plastic or rubber to the tank inself, that way you will seal the metal from the outside to prevent corrosion? Ive taken a liking to plasti-dip, its a liquid plastic that you can paint on anything. A few coats of that will be 1/8 to 1/4 thick so it would do a better job I think. I may go that route when it comes time for a tank in my 68. That stuff can be found at the hardware stores in that paint department by the way.
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]