News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

If you were to custom build a laptop...

Started by bull, July 01, 2009, 07:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

... and you had an $800-$1000 budget, what setup would you get? My wife has returned to school and we need to get her a laptop computer. It's an online course so the main thing we're looking for is wireless internet, speed and a good-sized screen. Not being much of a computer guru though I don't know what to tell the guy I'll be ordering from. What's the fastest speed and most memory now days? We would also like to be able to do all the usual-type stuff like burn CDs, process videos, etc. Also, who makes a good battery? One that lasts a long time both in the charge category and the lifespan category?

mikepmcs

You can get way more than you need for well under $800 in a laptop nowadays.  
I would go to best buy and talk to the geek squad.  They do not work on commission so they will give you what you want/need and not just sell you anything.

Also, you can research a little on best buy as well.  They give some tips.

Here is their "5 features to consider page"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=abcat0502000&type=category

I like dell myself

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/popular-laptop-deals?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

kab69440

Just bought a HP G70 from Office Depot a month ago. Dual-core 2ghz x 2ghz Intel, 250gb HD, 4gb RAM, 17" screen, Wireless-G  $650at purchase- $500 after the rebates(assuming I get them back...).  They had another model with a 320gb HD, but it only had 3gb of RAM. I went for the RAM, you can always buy an external HD if you run out of space. I love it, except for the OS. I miss XP. I don't despise Vista like some folks, but I liked XP much more. I could do without the separate number pad, and would take a media center in it's place, like my old Medion, but what can you do?
As far as battery life is concerned, it's up to you. Heat is the enemy, run the battery until it's DEAD and allow it to cool before recharging. Once charged, remove it and work from the power cord while the battery cools(again), if at home. Do not just leave the battery in the computer after it's fully charged and plugged in. Wet cells love to charged/ discharged. Dry cells HATE it!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Foreman72

looking at doing the same thing myself for college...looking currently @ an HP since my dad has a company discount there...but i think you should look @ dell...thats really the way to go imo...o and check this out...

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

A383Wing

Just bought the wife a new Compaq laptop last night...160gb, 16" screen, 3gb memory, all the internet stuff...was only $399 + tax...excellent screen picture....

Foreman72

Quote from: kab69440 on July 01, 2009, 08:36:53 PM
Just bought a HP G70 from Office Depot a month ago. Dual-core 2ghz x 2ghz Intel, 250gb HD, 4gb RAM, 17" screen, Wireless-G  $650at purchase- $500 after the rebates(assuming I get them back...).  They had another model with a 320gb HD, but it only had 3gb of RAM. I went for the RAM, you can always buy an external HD if you run out of space. I love it, except for the OS. I miss XP. I don't despise Vista like some folks, but I liked XP much more. I could do without the separate number pad, and would take a media center in it's place, like my old Medion, but what can you do?
As far as battery life is concerned, it's up to you. Heat is the enemy, run the battery until it's DEAD and allow it to cool before recharging. Once charged, remove it and work from the power cord while the battery cools(again), if at home. Do not just leave the battery in the computer after it's fully charged and plugged in. Wet cells love to charged/ discharged. Dry cells HATE it!

wow, all that was only 500? man i've been sticking with shopping online, maybe i'll check out stores...
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

2Gunz

Im a Dell fan.

If It where me I would pick something of the laptop homepage that strikes her fancy.

http://www.dell.com/home/laptops

As far as options.....

At this point in the computer world if your not doing rendering or playing games I wouldnt even
bother looking at or trying to figure out the CPU. To do "Normal" stuff (word processing, excel, internet)
well IMHO you only need about 800mhz. We hit that mark about 12 years ago.

Hard drive......   Most start at around 160 gigs.  Dont really see a need for more unless you are storing
music or video on it.

Ram......  I would recommend at least 1 Gig with 2 Gigs being a nice number.

The rest of it is preference or need.  Need a DVD burner? Get one. Need Internet everywhere? Get a Cell Card.

If I where going to buy a laptop this second it would be a Mini. Mostly because Im sick of lugging my monster
screen notebook around.

Good Luck!

Tilar

....They had another model with a 320gb HD, but it only had 3gb of RAM.

That struck me funny. One computer I had a lonnnggggg time ago had 1 meg of ram. It had 4 ram chips that were 1/4 meg each.  :lol:  It had a 300 baud external modem that I never used and a 10 meg hard drive if I remember right.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

dodgecharger-fan

Man. I still have a laptop like that... and a handful of 1/4-Meg SIMM sticks, but I think the smallest hard drive I have kicking around is a 50 MB.  :P

As to the original question, it's tough to custom build your own laptop as the form factor for boards and components are largely NOT universal.

That said, I've been keeping my eye on tigerdirect (the Canadian one in my case) for a good deal on a non-refurbished unit (or a really smokin' refurb unit.)
My base specifications include:
at least 15" screen
HDMI capability
at least 3 GB of RAM
64-bit OS
320 GB or larger hard drive
Ethernet
Wireless (I'd prefer 802.11a, but the nutjob marketers have made b/g king... and yet-to-be-standardized 11n)

After that, the bells and whistles are pretty much common across all models - at least for my needs. I am indifferent to video performance as I wouldn't be doing any gaming at all.

b5blue

My...oops I mean MY SON's HP Pavillion dv6000 has been a real good unit, and they are coming down in price now. It's no killer machine but well rounded at everything with plenty of USB and SD slots. Has a remote control in the side built in for dvd player or TV. Webb cam, wireless, all built in.

BrianShaughnessy

Got the 16 year old an HP last year for $549 after rebates.  15.4" /  3 g / 160 / DVD burner blah blah  at officedemax. 
I couldn't beat the deal with my IBM/Lenovo employee discount.

Back to school sales are starting up very soon.   No need to spend $1G or to waste time bolting something together from the scrap bins at tiger direct.
Her mother hinted about a laptop for Xmas so I will be shopping again soon - unless I prefer being celibate. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

kab69440

Quote from: Foreman72 on July 01, 2009, 09:42:27 PM

wow, all that was only 500? man i've been sticking with shopping online, maybe i'll check out stores...

As I say, it was $650 at the register. To date, I can't honestly say I have ever received anything back on one of those mail in rebates, and I've submitted a bunch of them to various companies. The computer came with three different $50 rebates, time will tell whether or not I see that money again. I am guessing that were I to press the issue, they would find some insignificant thing I did wrong in submitting them to justify invalidating or not honoring them. But, I am a born cynic...

P.S. to Bull-
As an addenum to my previous post, I should have stated that the new computer will run 2.5 hours on a full charge, unless watching/burning a DVD. Stated charge life is cut near in-half with the ROM drive and fan running at full tilt. I am pretty sure that is what you meant by "battery life" , correct?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

kab69440

Quote from: Tilar on July 02, 2009, 04:04:48 AM

That struck me funny. One computer I had a lonnnggggg time ago had 1 meg of ram. It had 4 ram chips that were 1/4 meg each.  :lol:  It had a 300 baud external modem that I never used and a 10 meg hard drive if I remember right.

I hear you... I remember playing with/ programming a VIC20 too... Remember when the Commodore 64 came out?? WOW! 64kb of storage!!!!!

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

Tilar

And you could get a tape drive for it too!  :lol: Those were actually fun to play with. I think there is still one in the attic.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

mopar_nut_440_6

I work in IT and have for a number of years would highly recommend a Dell laptop. I have had Dell laptops for the last 8 years with no problems. When I did client support and had to maintain hundreds of them they were and still are extremely reliable. It will come with Vista loaded and Vista is a memory pig so order as much RAM as you can fit in it. I would recommend at least 4 Gb. I would also order the extended warranty. Just my  :Twocents:

Good luck,
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

b5blue

Yea and you can pick up a bigger battery pack for whatever you get giving you 2X the run time and a backup battery!

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Tilar on July 02, 2009, 11:26:32 AM
And you could get a tape drive for it too!  :lol: Those were actually fun to play with. I think there is still one in the attic.

You could get a hard drive for a Commodore 64.   I have one!

Todd

Todd Wilson

Quote from: kab69440 on July 02, 2009, 11:16:13 AM

I hear you... I remember playing with/ programming a VIC20 too... Remember when the Commodore 64 came out?? WOW! 64kb of storage!!!!!

I have this Vic 20 brochure in my collection!

kab69440

I think I still have the Koala Pad for the Commodore, and a bunch of floppies. I don't think there's much else left of it, though. I never did successfully finish "The Farmer's Daughter"...

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

teamroth

check out slickdeals.net it is a board like this one here, and it's all people posting the best deals out there. I bought my 42" LG for 300 bucks because of a deal best buy was having.

here is the link to the computer deals.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?sduid=472727&f=9&daysprune=7&icon=0&tagid=0&sort=lastpost&order=&icon=23
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

bull

Thanks for all the help, now I just have to sort through it all. :P

KS71owner

Quote from: kab69440 on July 02, 2009, 11:16:13 AM

I remember when I was a kid, 3rd or 4th grade I think, my best friend had a Commodore 64. He brought me over to play Leisure Suit Larry, and my life changed forever.  :smilielol:

Todd Wilson

I used to run a 2 line BBS on a Commodore 64.   Had 2 2400baud modems. 2 20 meg harddrives.  Each conputer had a host adapter (harddrive controller card)  and they hooked into a multiplexer that the harddrives hooked into.  File sharing or locking was not part of the C64's command set. The BBS ran smooth but every once in a while both computers would hit a file at the exact same time and lock the whole ballgame up. Usually happened when 2 people were playing the same online game.

Todd

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: Todd Wilson on July 03, 2009, 02:28:17 PM
I used to run a 2 line BBS on a Commodore 64.   Had 2 2400baud modems. 2 20 meg harddrives.  Each conputer had a host adapter (harddrive controller card)  and they hooked into a multiplexer that the harddrives hooked into.  File sharing or locking was not part of the C64's command set. The BBS ran smooth but every once in a while both computers would hit a file at the exact same time and lock the whole ballgame up. Usually happened when 2 people were playing the same online game.

Todd

We had something like that for our Commodore PETs at school. the whole room shared a dual hard drive at the front of the class.
I never had a 64, I had to make do with the VIC 20. I did have a tape drive for it, though. I still have the 13" colour TV I got so I could do colours with the VIC. I was "this far" from finishing my clone of Centipede when I discovered girls.  :laugh: