News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

If you were to custom build a laptop...

Started by bull, July 01, 2009, 07:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

... and you had an $800-$1000 budget, what setup would you get? My wife has returned to school and we need to get her a laptop computer. It's an online course so the main thing we're looking for is wireless internet, speed and a good-sized screen. Not being much of a computer guru though I don't know what to tell the guy I'll be ordering from. What's the fastest speed and most memory now days? We would also like to be able to do all the usual-type stuff like burn CDs, process videos, etc. Also, who makes a good battery? One that lasts a long time both in the charge category and the lifespan category?

mikepmcs

You can get way more than you need for well under $800 in a laptop nowadays.  
I would go to best buy and talk to the geek squad.  They do not work on commission so they will give you what you want/need and not just sell you anything.

Also, you can research a little on best buy as well.  They give some tips.

Here is their "5 features to consider page"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=abcat0502000&type=category

I like dell myself

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/popular-laptop-deals?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

kab69440

Just bought a HP G70 from Office Depot a month ago. Dual-core 2ghz x 2ghz Intel, 250gb HD, 4gb RAM, 17" screen, Wireless-G  $650at purchase- $500 after the rebates(assuming I get them back...).  They had another model with a 320gb HD, but it only had 3gb of RAM. I went for the RAM, you can always buy an external HD if you run out of space. I love it, except for the OS. I miss XP. I don't despise Vista like some folks, but I liked XP much more. I could do without the separate number pad, and would take a media center in it's place, like my old Medion, but what can you do?
As far as battery life is concerned, it's up to you. Heat is the enemy, run the battery until it's DEAD and allow it to cool before recharging. Once charged, remove it and work from the power cord while the battery cools(again), if at home. Do not just leave the battery in the computer after it's fully charged and plugged in. Wet cells love to charged/ discharged. Dry cells HATE it!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Foreman72

looking at doing the same thing myself for college...looking currently @ an HP since my dad has a company discount there...but i think you should look @ dell...thats really the way to go imo...o and check this out...

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-us/default.aspx
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

A383Wing

Just bought the wife a new Compaq laptop last night...160gb, 16" screen, 3gb memory, all the internet stuff...was only $399 + tax...excellent screen picture....

Foreman72

Quote from: kab69440 on July 01, 2009, 08:36:53 PM
Just bought a HP G70 from Office Depot a month ago. Dual-core 2ghz x 2ghz Intel, 250gb HD, 4gb RAM, 17" screen, Wireless-G  $650at purchase- $500 after the rebates(assuming I get them back...).  They had another model with a 320gb HD, but it only had 3gb of RAM. I went for the RAM, you can always buy an external HD if you run out of space. I love it, except for the OS. I miss XP. I don't despise Vista like some folks, but I liked XP much more. I could do without the separate number pad, and would take a media center in it's place, like my old Medion, but what can you do?
As far as battery life is concerned, it's up to you. Heat is the enemy, run the battery until it's DEAD and allow it to cool before recharging. Once charged, remove it and work from the power cord while the battery cools(again), if at home. Do not just leave the battery in the computer after it's fully charged and plugged in. Wet cells love to charged/ discharged. Dry cells HATE it!

wow, all that was only 500? man i've been sticking with shopping online, maybe i'll check out stores...
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

2Gunz

Im a Dell fan.

If It where me I would pick something of the laptop homepage that strikes her fancy.

http://www.dell.com/home/laptops

As far as options.....

At this point in the computer world if your not doing rendering or playing games I wouldnt even
bother looking at or trying to figure out the CPU. To do "Normal" stuff (word processing, excel, internet)
well IMHO you only need about 800mhz. We hit that mark about 12 years ago.

Hard drive......   Most start at around 160 gigs.  Dont really see a need for more unless you are storing
music or video on it.

Ram......  I would recommend at least 1 Gig with 2 Gigs being a nice number.

The rest of it is preference or need.  Need a DVD burner? Get one. Need Internet everywhere? Get a Cell Card.

If I where going to buy a laptop this second it would be a Mini. Mostly because Im sick of lugging my monster
screen notebook around.

Good Luck!

Tilar

....They had another model with a 320gb HD, but it only had 3gb of RAM.

That struck me funny. One computer I had a lonnnggggg time ago had 1 meg of ram. It had 4 ram chips that were 1/4 meg each.  :lol:  It had a 300 baud external modem that I never used and a 10 meg hard drive if I remember right.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

dodgecharger-fan

Man. I still have a laptop like that... and a handful of 1/4-Meg SIMM sticks, but I think the smallest hard drive I have kicking around is a 50 MB.  :P

As to the original question, it's tough to custom build your own laptop as the form factor for boards and components are largely NOT universal.

That said, I've been keeping my eye on tigerdirect (the Canadian one in my case) for a good deal on a non-refurbished unit (or a really smokin' refurb unit.)
My base specifications include:
at least 15" screen
HDMI capability
at least 3 GB of RAM
64-bit OS
320 GB or larger hard drive
Ethernet
Wireless (I'd prefer 802.11a, but the nutjob marketers have made b/g king... and yet-to-be-standardized 11n)

After that, the bells and whistles are pretty much common across all models - at least for my needs. I am indifferent to video performance as I wouldn't be doing any gaming at all.

b5blue

My...oops I mean MY SON's HP Pavillion dv6000 has been a real good unit, and they are coming down in price now. It's no killer machine but well rounded at everything with plenty of USB and SD slots. Has a remote control in the side built in for dvd player or TV. Webb cam, wireless, all built in.

BrianShaughnessy

Got the 16 year old an HP last year for $549 after rebates.  15.4" /  3 g / 160 / DVD burner blah blah  at officedemax. 
I couldn't beat the deal with my IBM/Lenovo employee discount.

Back to school sales are starting up very soon.   No need to spend $1G or to waste time bolting something together from the scrap bins at tiger direct.
Her mother hinted about a laptop for Xmas so I will be shopping again soon - unless I prefer being celibate. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

kab69440

Quote from: Foreman72 on July 01, 2009, 09:42:27 PM

wow, all that was only 500? man i've been sticking with shopping online, maybe i'll check out stores...

As I say, it was $650 at the register. To date, I can't honestly say I have ever received anything back on one of those mail in rebates, and I've submitted a bunch of them to various companies. The computer came with three different $50 rebates, time will tell whether or not I see that money again. I am guessing that were I to press the issue, they would find some insignificant thing I did wrong in submitting them to justify invalidating or not honoring them. But, I am a born cynic...

P.S. to Bull-
As an addenum to my previous post, I should have stated that the new computer will run 2.5 hours on a full charge, unless watching/burning a DVD. Stated charge life is cut near in-half with the ROM drive and fan running at full tilt. I am pretty sure that is what you meant by "battery life" , correct?
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

kab69440

Quote from: Tilar on July 02, 2009, 04:04:48 AM

That struck me funny. One computer I had a lonnnggggg time ago had 1 meg of ram. It had 4 ram chips that were 1/4 meg each.  :lol:  It had a 300 baud external modem that I never used and a 10 meg hard drive if I remember right.

I hear you... I remember playing with/ programming a VIC20 too... Remember when the Commodore 64 came out?? WOW! 64kb of storage!!!!!

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

Tilar

And you could get a tape drive for it too!  :lol: Those were actually fun to play with. I think there is still one in the attic.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

mopar_nut_440_6

I work in IT and have for a number of years would highly recommend a Dell laptop. I have had Dell laptops for the last 8 years with no problems. When I did client support and had to maintain hundreds of them they were and still are extremely reliable. It will come with Vista loaded and Vista is a memory pig so order as much RAM as you can fit in it. I would recommend at least 4 Gb. I would also order the extended warranty. Just my  :Twocents:

Good luck,
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

b5blue

Yea and you can pick up a bigger battery pack for whatever you get giving you 2X the run time and a backup battery!

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Tilar on July 02, 2009, 11:26:32 AM
And you could get a tape drive for it too!  :lol: Those were actually fun to play with. I think there is still one in the attic.

You could get a hard drive for a Commodore 64.   I have one!

Todd

Todd Wilson

Quote from: kab69440 on July 02, 2009, 11:16:13 AM

I hear you... I remember playing with/ programming a VIC20 too... Remember when the Commodore 64 came out?? WOW! 64kb of storage!!!!!

I have this Vic 20 brochure in my collection!

kab69440

I think I still have the Koala Pad for the Commodore, and a bunch of floppies. I don't think there's much else left of it, though. I never did successfully finish "The Farmer's Daughter"...

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

teamroth

check out slickdeals.net it is a board like this one here, and it's all people posting the best deals out there. I bought my 42" LG for 300 bucks because of a deal best buy was having.

here is the link to the computer deals.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?sduid=472727&f=9&daysprune=7&icon=0&tagid=0&sort=lastpost&order=&icon=23
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

bull

Thanks for all the help, now I just have to sort through it all. :P

KS71owner

Quote from: kab69440 on July 02, 2009, 11:16:13 AM

I remember when I was a kid, 3rd or 4th grade I think, my best friend had a Commodore 64. He brought me over to play Leisure Suit Larry, and my life changed forever.  :smilielol:

Todd Wilson

I used to run a 2 line BBS on a Commodore 64.   Had 2 2400baud modems. 2 20 meg harddrives.  Each conputer had a host adapter (harddrive controller card)  and they hooked into a multiplexer that the harddrives hooked into.  File sharing or locking was not part of the C64's command set. The BBS ran smooth but every once in a while both computers would hit a file at the exact same time and lock the whole ballgame up. Usually happened when 2 people were playing the same online game.

Todd

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: Todd Wilson on July 03, 2009, 02:28:17 PM
I used to run a 2 line BBS on a Commodore 64.   Had 2 2400baud modems. 2 20 meg harddrives.  Each conputer had a host adapter (harddrive controller card)  and they hooked into a multiplexer that the harddrives hooked into.  File sharing or locking was not part of the C64's command set. The BBS ran smooth but every once in a while both computers would hit a file at the exact same time and lock the whole ballgame up. Usually happened when 2 people were playing the same online game.

Todd

We had something like that for our Commodore PETs at school. the whole room shared a dual hard drive at the front of the class.
I never had a 64, I had to make do with the VIC 20. I did have a tape drive for it, though. I still have the 13" colour TV I got so I could do colours with the VIC. I was "this far" from finishing my clone of Centipede when I discovered girls.  :laugh:

bull

I went to Best Buy today and looked at a bunch of laptops. Most of them were 3-4 gb with 320-500 hard drive for between $500-$800 but there were also plenty of 2 gb laptops with only 160 hard drive. Many of them mentioned a free upgrade to Windows 7 OS when it comes out and they said it's just like Vista but uses much less memory. Basically Vista sucked up too much memory because it's got so many bells and whistles whereas 7 is basically a stripped down version of the same thing but you can add features to it as needed until it basically becomes the same thing as vista.

One thing I liked on some of the larger ones was the seperate number pad. I use the number pad a lot so that was a bonus. We also went to Costco to have a look but we weren't too impressed with their selection. I think they only had 8 examples and Best Buy had probably 20-30 to choose from. Costco's prices aren't that great either. Much of their stuff is priced pretty good but not electronics IMO.

We'll probably get as much ram as we can get this time. I made the mistake of getting too little ram on my desktop and now I regret it. We'll be getting 3 at least and most likely 4. The more ram the longer the computer will keep up with the rest of the world.

dodgecharger-fan

Good idea on the RAM - just make sure the operating system can actually use it all.

32-bit vista can only use 3 GB maximum.

Windows 7 is 64-bit, so there's no problem there.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/64-bit-support
"This feature comes with all editions of Windows 7."

Troy

Windows 7 is pretty impressive so far (been running it for a few weeks). So much so that our Admin at work is confident that it will be the upgrade path most companies still using XP have been looking for (it's no secret that most avoided Vista). There's way more to it than using less memory than Vista.

Maybe I'm different than most but I use a laptop for travel - not as a desktop replacement. Therefore it needs to be light and capable but not maxed out. I don't need a huge hard drive (desktop has 1.5 TB) or a huge amount of RAM (desktop has 8 GB) for checking my email or making minor updates when I'm away from home. If I were to use it for gaming or video then things would be different but I mainly just need connectivity in case something goes wrong while I'm away. In your case, it sounds like you'll be happier with at least a 17" screen which will also allow you to have a decent sized battery. It will be heavy and if you aren't hauling it everywhere then battery life isn't really important. I'd try to find one that still has a "downgrade" to XP and then memory isn't as important. Get at least 2 GB with that or jump to a 64 bit system and get 4 GB with Vista (I prefer Business to the Home edition). Hard drive size really depends on what you're storing. If I add up programs and personal data I don't think I have more than 30 GB on any computer that I own. Vista will take over 10 though on a clean install.

I usually recommend Dell to family and friends so I don't have to get calls every time they have a problem. However, Acer (personal) and IBM (business) haven't caused me any problems and seem to have a solid reputation. You may also want to check NewEgg for deals.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

471_Magnum

My seven year old desktop is on it's last legs (getting buffer overflow errors and other nasty messages). I'm also shopping for a laptop to use as my primary computer (we'll still maintain a employer provided desktop for my wife's work-at-home activities). I'm looking for very similar features as Bull.

I don't upgrade very often, so I look for a level of performance with some "staying power". I'm also on a budget (around $900).

I first looked at a Dell Studio 17, but read enough scathing reviews about quality and tech support/customer service that I've crossed it off the list.

Now I'm leaning towards an HP Pavilion dv7t with 64-bit Vista. I've seen some pretty good deals on factory refurbished units. I'll probably add an HP universal docking station. I haven't seen any offered with the free Windows 7 upgrade though.

I'm also supposed to get a new laptop to replace my desktop at work. Not sure exactly what I'm getting (probably a Dell of some sort), but I'd like to log some hours on it to figure what I really do and don't want in laptop. Granted, that laptop will serve very diffent duty than my home based unit, but it's been a while since I've used one for primary computing.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

b5blue

My HP has been super no problems at all in 18 months of use, I've had no issues with Vista ether. 7 is so close to coming out and if your use to XP that may be better for you...I don't why it's such a bitch point about Vista, but I'm not building rocket ships or transferring 20 years of data around. Any NEW computer can handle Vista. Remember what ever you get will be outdated in 3 years anyway!

bull

Quote from: b5blue on July 04, 2009, 01:03:22 PM
My HP has been super no problems at all in 18 months of use, I've had no issues with Vista ether. 7 is so close to coming out and if your use to XP that may be better for you...I don't why it's such a bitch point about Vista, but I'm not building rocket ships or transferring 20 years of data around. Any NEW computer can handle Vista. Remember what ever you get will be outdated in 3 years anyway!

That's probably it, any NEW computer can handle Vista. I think it's the older ones people installed it onto that are having problems due to the memory requirements.

Quote from: Troy on July 04, 2009, 09:52:06 AM
I usually recommend Dell to family and friends so I don't have to get calls every time they have a problem. However, Acer (personal) and IBM (business) haven't caused me any problems and seem to have a solid reputation. You may also want to check NewEgg for deals.

Troy

I hadn't heard of Acer until yesterday when I saw one at Costco. That little thing was and inch thick or less when closed, and I think it was something like 4.2 lbs. :o Maybe I'll take a closer look at it.

A383Wing

be careful with ACER's....they are not the best...cheap junk from what i have heard...and that's from the stores that sell them.

Troy

Quote from: A383Wing on July 04, 2009, 07:14:51 PM
be careful with ACER's....they are not the best...cheap junk from what i have heard...and that's from the stores that sell them.
Laptops or desktops? And how long ago? The easiest thing to do is to pick out a few potentials and do a Google search.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

A383Wing

Quote from: Troy on July 04, 2009, 08:43:23 PM
Laptops or desktops? And how long ago? The easiest thing to do is to pick out a few potentials and do a Google search.

Troy

Both actually....from about a year ago when we were looking to upgrade mine....so instead I just added a 250gb hardrive and upgraded the memory on my laptop

bull

Update time. We finally pulled the trigger on a laptop and got a Dell Studio from Best Buy with a 4 gb memory, 500 gb hard drive, T6500 2.1 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 7+ hour battery, 17-inch screen and the seperate numbers keypad.

Also:
Microsoft® Works 9
2Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Glossy widescreen 17.0 inch display (1440x900)
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
Size: 500GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
56 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card
Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam
High Definition Audio 2.0

It's got Vista until 7 comes out at which point we'll upgrade (or downgrade, however you want to look at it). This is the first time I've used Vista and I'm not at all impressed. Seems to me they just made it overly glamorous just because they could.

We also opted for a year's worth of Trend Micro security, MS Office student edition and a three-year, full-coverage Geek Squad warrantee. They said we can drop it, run over it, sit on it and/or roll it down the stairs and they'll still fix it. It didn't look that big in the store but now that it's at home the thing looks quite LARGE. But that's fine since it probably won't leave the house but maybe twice a year. It looks like this one (but we got it for $100 less before all the add-ons):

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dndosc4&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=studio_great_deals

b5blue

chargergirl

Quote from: A383Wing on July 04, 2009, 08:46:44 PM
Quote from: Troy on July 04, 2009, 08:43:23 PM

Troy

Both actually....from about a year ago when we were looking to upgrade mine....so instead I just added a 250gb hardrive and upgraded the memory on my laptop

My son is the tech guru at Office Max and Acer is one of the minis he does recommend. Acer was/is the company that builds the components for most of the computers. I am speaking from his knowledge not mine however that will change since he is bringing me the mini on the 24th of this month. I have owned a Sony Vaio laptop since I started my degree and it's been five years without major headaches. Each semester you/wife should download all papers to a disk and clear the hard drive. Get the Windows for Students and Teachers and that will give you Word, Excel, and a few others that you have to have for college papers and such. All papers HAVE to be turned in on Word not Works.(Program runs a bit over $100 but you don't have to have Microsoft Professional to get all you need to achieve). A mini is great for travel and that's what we want it for. My Vaio laptop is great but heavy...big screen though and since it was my only computer for everything I needed to be able to see it...lol! The experts say to buy a docking station for the laptop, I haven't and haven't had problems. However I did get an external keyboard and mouse and close the top down completely when I leave the laptop for any amount of time. The mouse area on mine is hyper sensitive and I wore a spot smooth in the space bar within a month of getting my laptop from all the typing. External keyboard makes typing easier considering the amount of papers one has to create. As for cooling there are some very cool "holders" that assist in cooling a laptop. Congrats on going back to school and best wishes and straight A's!
Trust your Woobie!

bull

Yea, arguing over name brands in computers is kind of goofy since most of them run Intel stuff inside along with a few various other componants.