News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge Chrysler dealers not ashamed of ripping off thier customers.

Started by ChgrSteve67, June 30, 2009, 09:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

I took my PT Cruiser to the dealership to have them replace my radiator and multifunction turn signal switch.

I could give you the break down but simply they charged me just over $1,000 to replace the radiator.
Said they had to evac the AC system and flush the engine to replace the rad.

As for the multi-function switch
They wrote down my exact trouble shooting to determine the switch was bad and that I removed the fuse to keep from killing the battery.

The switch is on back order for a month and a half. $90
They charged me $115 to determine the switch was bad.
And they want me to pay $115 to install the switch if and when it shows up.
How convient for them they could not get a switch and that I now have to come back and pay them again to have it replaced.

I called the sales guy when I was finally able to figure out thier reciept of charges. He said they need to pay for the time the tech spent determining the switch was bad.  I asked him if the tech removed it from the car to determine the switch was bad or spend a whole 5 minutes to put the fuse back in and repeate what I told them I did to determine the switch was bad.  I also told him with what I spent to have them replace the radiator I think they could give me 5 minutes of a tech time to look at the switch without charging me for a hours worth of work. He said he would have to talk to the tech and get back to me.  Guess what he never called back.

If my switch ever shows up I'm just going to pick it up and install it myself.
I think I will just have them cancel the order of the switch and have them give me my money back for that too.

This Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep dealership can choke on my $115.
I'm going to take all my business somewhere else.

Elk Grove Dodge Chrysler Jeep
8575 Laguna Grove Dr
Elk Grove, CA 95757

My PT is 9 years old and I'm due for a new car.
I guess its time for a Toyota, Honda or MINI Cooper.

Steve

Foreman72

man thats a bummer...we had a similar issue with our family car...there was a timing issue that if it weren't for the warranty, would have cost about 2k...heck no thanks....if a new car is an order, i'd check the mini... :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

69bronzeT5

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on June 30, 2009, 09:18:09 PM

I'm waiting for TUFCAT to post about buying American ;)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Chatt69chgr

The dealers charge what the flat rate book says for whatever is being replaced.  Plus they charge for shop solvents, shop rags, etc.  And then they charge retail for the part.  Now what I have heard is that they are charging 10-20 % over book retail.  Apparently, they can charge whatever they want to for the part.  I ran into this at a local dealer where I had been buying parts for two years for my 69 Charger.  A guy in the parts dept liked my project and was letting me have anything I wanted for 10% over cost.  I would always look up the parts ahead of time on the net and write down the wholesale and retail prices.  Just for my own piece of mind.  The last time, he said that they had been told that they couldn't give me a deal anymore.  So for the heck of it, I gave him a part number and said how much would this cost.  He looks it up and gave me the number.  I told him I had the retail price and that's when he told me what they were told to start doing, ie, add the extra 10-20%.  Well, I told him that I appreciated what he had been able to do for me and would come back and see him from time to time.  But immediately started going to the dealer 20 miles down the road to get my parts.  But now, I think if you have the part number it's best to just order off the net.  There are several dealers around the country that will sell at good prices.  I would never buy a radiator from a dealer.  You can always get those from places like Cooling Parts Warehouse, etc at wholesale prices.  And it's good to find an independent garage to handle your repairs if you don't want to do it yourself.  Dealers are for warranty work and that's it unless you just have no other choice.

TUFCAT

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on June 30, 2009, 09:34:30 PM
Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on June 30, 2009, 09:18:09 PM

I'm waiting for TUFCAT to post about buying American ;)

Each dealership is independently owned and operated. Therefore non warranty (customer pay) service charges are not under Chrysler jurisdiction...or any other manufacture for that reason - - so its best to look elsewhere in the event your local dealer might screw you.

Speaking of screwing....check out what people are paying at their friendly local Honda or Toyota dealers for non warranty work!  :eek2:

And by the way Cody.... yes, I still support the Detroit 3.  However, getting rip off by a ruthless dealer is not in anyones best interest...foreign or domestic.  

Bottom line is - - dealerships must make money to stay in business, But screwing people over is VERY bad long term ....and even short term nowadays.

A good job at a fair price should always be expected for any business to be competitive.

This dealership obviously has no desire to grow his business, or retain his customers.

bull

Dealerships are good for warranty work and hard to find parts, that's about it IMO.

nh_mopar_fan

I did that multi-function switch myself. Took about 5 minutes.

Have you had to replace the override switch that controls your windows yet?

That went last year as well. Both were pretty simple.

Old Moparz

I think I posted it somewhere on here last month, but I was looking to get an elctronic ignition conversion for my Plymouth Satellite. I looked on line & found a couple of places selling it for about $215 plus shipping, then decided to try the local Chrysler dealer. I liked the idea of giving a local guy my money & even paying a few extra bucks since I wouldn't be paying for shipping. Guess what? The local dealer wanted $315 for it.   ::)

Dealers have always been more expensive, but to want that much more is total BS. I found the Proform ignition set up at Jegs for less than $160 & no shipping & bought that. So much for buying local, or even just buying from Chrysler.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

b5blue

Always get an "estimate" first! Then shop that price. Yea my local dealer is an A hole too. You know I can't help thinking if one of the big 3 would just go out of their way to NOT be like this they would come out on top! 

Todd Wilson

Quote from: bull on June 30, 2009, 10:12:37 PM
Dealerships are good for warranty work and hard to find parts, that's about it IMO.

That pretty well sums it up!

Todd

ChgrSteve67

I did get an estimate.  $178 to look at the car and get a final price.
The repair price they called me and told me. I have to have some level of trust that theya re not charging me for things they are not doing.

In the bill the devil is in the details, everything is broken apart and it took be about 10 minutes to go through each line item to find the charge for labor on replacing the switch which now they are saying is diagnostic time.

They do not list my radiator replacement as one job its three jobs.

Cooling System Flush Parts & Labor
Heating and Cooling Parts and Labor
A/C Minor Service Parts & Labor

They do not break labor down into $$ per hour only price for the job weather it took 5 minutes or all day.

Called them again this morning and got the "we will call you back" again.

Got my customer survey already and let them have it.
Since its a survey I don't believe anyone will actually ready it and care.

Old Moparz

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on July 01, 2009, 11:26:21 AM
Got my customer survey already and let them have it.
Since its a survey I don't believe anyone will actually ready it and care.

They'll read it, they read mine & called me about it. I had my truck in under warranty & decided to have the oil changed & get a dent removed by a paintless, dent repair guy the dealer uses. I got the survey & answered all the questions telling them the service was good. The problem was, there was one question asking something about how satisfactory the repairs were. Since the dent wasn't 100% perfect, which I knew would be the outcome before the repair, I answered that it wasn't perfect.

The service manager called me asking why I bad mouthed the dealership. I explained that the survey was very vague & that I didn't bad mouth anyone, & basically told him what I said in this post about the satisfaction level for repairs. He wasn't happy & seemed agitated, so I asked him if he saw the actual survey with my answers. He said no, so I told him that he should find it & then call me back if he still had any problems. I never heard from him, but I assume the survey goes somewhere other than the dealership & he was contacted by a district manager or similar.

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

dodgecharger-fan

The thing about those surveys is that anything less than a perfect score is a black mark on the dealership.
That's why the service manager got a chewing out.

Seems stupid to have a range of numbers to choose form then doesn't it?

I didn't say it made any sense, but that's how it works.

I've had three dealer employees - 2 Ford and 1 Chrysler - tell me that. Basically, if you're satisfied with the service, give a top score, no matter the degree to which you are satisfied.

ChgrSteve67

I called and canceled the order on the back ordered part.
5 minutes later the service agent called me with a list of excuses why he has not gotten back to tme.

Anyways che gave me a line of crap about how much of a valued customer I am and said his boss agreed to split the difference with me and only charge me $57 for testing the switch instead of $115.

I told him yeah sure.

I guess he has not heard about me canceling the order on the multi-function switch yet.

The survey I got just asked if I would recomend this dealership for service. Yes\No
I chose No

Steve

hemi-hampton

I had a dealer try to totally screw me over, Tried to charge me twice for same job. He didn't think I'd notice the double billing, When I complained he quickly snatched it (the evidence) from my hand, ripped it up & said just a mistake or misunderstanding & gave me another bill. SCAMS :brickwall: :flame: :boxing_smiley: :down: :fu: :loser: :icon_bs: :moon:  LEON.

Silver R/T

sorry to hear about your trouble. These bastards are what gives some better dealers (very few out there) a bad name. I personally never go to dealer, if something needs fixed I fix it myself or take it to private owned shop, etc.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Reminds me of my boss who's 03 Ram water pump went out and he was getting estimates anywhere from $1200-$1500. He hardly believes me that it takes an hour at the most to do it yourself for about $60 for part. People will pray on you if you're dumb and can't fix your own car/don't know much about cars
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

2Gunz

The last time I went to the dealer I made an appointment took off work.

When I checked in they told me they couldnt get to it that day.

Which was NOT the story over the phone, I even told them specifically I had to have it done
on the spot as I was taking the car on a long trip.

I was so pissed I briefly thought about driving the car into the check in hut thing.

Had to have the cam position sensor replaced.
Online I read that it was about $350
Took about 40 mins and $50 to do it myself.

Had to have the inner tie rod bushings redone.
Online I read it was about $825
Took about 3 or 4 hours and sucked. but I suspect with the proper tools and experiance it could be done in under an hour.
$18 in parts.

After that BS I decided to change my own oil.
The Oil plug was in so tight I stripped it trying to get it out.
The Oil filter was also on WAY to tight.

It has always been to the dealer for oil changes.

F$^K thous guys. I hate em!

Ghoste

The oil plug reminds me of another pet peeve although it isn't just Dodge dealers, it's ALL "professional" shops that change tires for any reason.  Every single damned last one of them use an impact gun to put your wheels on.   :brickwall: :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :brickwall:

Brock Samson

My first and last dealing with the "Stealer" was the $110 they ripped me off of to put three washers at the bottom of the inner door panel on the 300 after the plastic cracked down there and jammed the door closed. if I had known that was gonna be they're fix i could'a done it myself in under 10 minuted for free... this was a fix not included in the bumper to bumper complete warrenty...  :RantExplode:

never ever am i going back to a "STEALER".. Ya' reading this Chrysler?!  :RantExplode:

RECHRGD

Several years ago my wife had a Voyager that I took in for the 50,000 mile service ripoff.  After spending several hundred dollars, I get in the car to leave and the "Service Engine" light was still on!  I told them that they had forgotten to turn the light off and they said that it was not included in the service fee.  After a short discussion with the service manager, it was turned off free of charge.  But, they still had the nerve to charge for their "shop consumables". :flame: :flame:  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Ghoste

Why even call it a "service" department?  It should just be labeled as a factory authorized repair center.  If they were doing you a service, they'd wash the car for you as a gesture of thanks instead of worrying about hosing you for consumables.  :icon_smile_angry:

jaak

I had it with the local Dodge dealer, back about 6 years ago, and haven't bought anything from them since. It was all over a broke wire going to the egr valve. I had an extended Warranty...thats when I found out Chryslers extended warranty wasn't worth the paper its written on.
They charged me like 120 bucks to find and repair this wire. I asked does my extended warranty cover wiring, they said it only pays to replace wiring harness(es) but not to repair exsisting wiring. So I told that ass clown to pull the car back in....replace the wiring, and give me my 120 back, of course he said no. We even called Chrysler over this..they were willing to give me a partial refund, but they were still blowing smoke up my ass. Since then the only mopar I have bought (for a driver) was a 02 Intrepid, in 07. I bought it off the used lot of the local Honda dealership.
F*ck Chrysler/Dodge dealerships!

Jason

Sublime69

I've said this time and time again. Get rid of these "stealerships" and turn them into factory outlet dealers owned, managed and employed by Chrysler. Cars would be cheaper, no BS, no haggling. Dealerships are just the middleman, I thought we were suppose to avoid the middleman? Why should we pay EXTRA to some backyard shmoe just because he is authorized to sell Chryslers cars to us? They return nothing back to the Big 3 as far as I'm concerned, or very little it seems.  :Twocents:
1969 Charger 440
1968 Satellite 318 Future Road Runner Clone
1989 Diplomat Ex-Cop Car Winter Beater
1985 Chevy C-10 400 SB Winter Project
2004 Honda Civic Daily Driver

TruckDriver

This is news that car dealships love to rip people off? I knew that 25 years ago. They still want $325. a wheel for the new old stock alunimum wheel for a '96 Dakota. I cant get the same wheels from a salvage yard in almost mint condition for $65. a wheel.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P