News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2003 Dodge Caravan Sport 3.3L V6 Rear Drum Brakes

Started by THE COLONEL, July 08, 2009, 07:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE COLONEL

Ok, if anyone has even changed brakes on this style minivan, what is the trick to get the rear drums off?  I see two tiny holes by the studs, that I feel has something to do with releasing the drum.  Any info on this would be GREAT! :cheers: :shruggy:
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Ghoste

I've done it a couple of times and have always found that you need to back the old shoes off... waaaay off.  Check around the studs and make sure there isn't a little spring clip at the base of any of them.  A mallet could be very helpful too.

THE COLONEL

Quote from: Ghoste on July 08, 2009, 08:46:02 PM
I've done it a couple of times and have always found that you need to back the old shoes off... waaaay off.  Check around the studs and make sure there isn't a little spring clip at the base of any of them.  A mallet could be very helpful too.

How do you back teh shoes off?  I looked around the studs, and there is no spring.  Thereis no dust cap, but two very small threaded holes by two of the studs.  What the heck arethose for?  I used a regular hammer, and the things would not budge.

Ghoste

Ours is a 2000 so unless they changed the backing plate for 2003 (wasn't there a styling change for that year?) there should be a small cap in the back.  :shruggy:

Cooperman

From the FSM...

QuoteREMOVAL

Raise the vehicle.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly from the vehicle
Remove the rear brake shoe adjusting hole cover plug.
Insert a thin screwdriver into brake adjusting hole and hold adjusting lever away from notches of adjusting screw star wheel.
Insert another thin screwdriver into brake adjusting hole and engage notches of brake adjusting screw star wheel. Release brake adjustment by prying down with adjusting tool.
Remove rear brake drum from rear hub/bearing assembly. NOTE: It may be necessary to insert M8 X 1.25 MM bolts into the two removal holes on the drum to force the drum off the hub.

Hope this helps!
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

Ghoste

THE COLONEL

I got it f with a 5/16 bolt.  Thanks for the help.  I knew those holes were for something.  Now....out to change brakes! ;)