News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Curious about 3rd Gen...

Started by Troy, June 27, 2009, 09:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

I wonder if anyone knows approximately how many 1973 Charger Rallye SE 400 4-speed cars were built. How about in factory black (with black interior)? And why couldn't this package have been ordered with a 440?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rallyecharger

Is it a Rallye or is it an S.E ??? it would not be both.......
As for the 440 with a 4 speed..Ma Mopar nixed that idea for a few reasons.
Production wise: 400 4spd Rallye 396 for USA
     400 4spd S.E 271 for USA
Hope this helps.... :cheers:

Troy

Hmmm, I just checked a fender tag decoder and I think something is amiss. Was told the car is a Rallye *AND* SE but the VIN starts with "WH". It appears that an SE would be "WP". I know next to nothing about 3rd gens. Some of the highlights from the decoder...

P3A: 400 260HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL 1973 Lynch Road, MI, USA
D21:    4 Speed Manual Transmission
TX9:    Black Diamond Exterior Color
H6X9: Trim - High, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black
TX9:    Black Diamond Int. Door Frames
501:    Build Date: May 01
TX9:    Black Diamond Top Color
U:    USA Specifications
V21:    Performance Hood Treatment
H51:    Air Conditioning with Heater
V6R:    Longitudinal Stripes, Red
G11:    Tinted Glass (all)
G37:    OS Dual Racing Mirrors

Troy

Rallyecharger

Definetly a Rallye car.....
The dash and seats were the same for both models but the S.E had a different roof line/side window configuration and the door panels were different...
Then again as we say never say never with Mopar....
any pics you can send me ??

TruckDriver

WOW! All I know, is I'd love to have this car?  :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Troy

It has the rear window plugs (3 slots) and SE emblems. It's a low mileage car with (supposedly) the original interior. Met the owner at a local cruise-in and was told that Galen told him it was 1 of 381 or something.

Troy

mopar73

NHCharger

Dang, for a minute I thought Troy was coming over to the dark side. ;)
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bull

I guess the guy doesn't want his face on camera.

paulgrr63

Quote from: Troy on June 27, 2009, 09:18:13 PM
I wonder if anyone knows approximately how many 1973 Charger Rallye SE 400 4-speed cars were built. How about in factory black (with black interior)? And why couldn't this package have been ordered with a 440?

Troy

Troy, would that be the cruise in by Burger King in Hamilton?

Troy

Quote from: paulgrr63 on June 28, 2009, 06:20:00 PM
Quote from: Troy on June 27, 2009, 09:18:13 PM

Troy

Troy, would that be the cruise in by Burger King in Hamilton?
Yep. First time I've ever been there.

Troy

451-74Charger

Ok, shoot me the time/date/location of the next one, and ill try drag the wife and son up there. I want to show her what a real 3rd gen Charger looks like.
She has only seen my rusty shells  :hah: :hah:

Troy

It's every Saturday starting around 5 or 6 PM. I only live a few miles away - which is why I almost never go to that one (I like to drive, not sit). Also, in the past it was on Friday nights and I've always had previous commitments. Saturdays are better for me. There were several nice cars there and I met some new people.

Troy

451-74Charger

i cant make this Saturday, but ill try next

Troy

I probably won't be there either weekend (4th of July then Carlisle).

Troy

Brock Samson

drool what a great looking and unusual combo.... sweeeeet!  :drool5:

72chargerSE

440 couldn't be had with air and 4 speed.

Troy

72chargerSE

The original owner of my Charger ( 400/4-speed 72 SE with air) wanted a 440...Chrysler said no!! So...he had the 400 instead!!!!!

TeeWJay426

72 was the last year you could get a 440 with a 4-speed anyway. 73 and up were all automatics when a 440 was specified.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Nacho-RT74

I think it was on 74 when you couldn't get 440s with 4 speed, but still on 73 you were able. 400s with 4 speed where allways available.

anyway I'm not in numbers stuff as mostly of you know.

The rallye stripe looks simply added, noticeable a bad repro of those being phasered stripes have the outer line in BLACK. You could get partially rallye package on 74 SEs... everything but the bulged hood, but as far I know not on 73s. This is a 73 and does have bulged hood ? :shruggy:

Interesting is an SE with regular door panels, not brougham.  :scratchchin:. Not imposible, but uncommon.

Not front and rear moldings being an SE ?

rear valance exhauts cut outs...

Maybe an SE with rallye adds?... or rallye with SE louvers added ? ( who will make that ? :shruggy: )... regular grilles mounted instead the SE grilles ? but SE tail light housings ( chrome on lenses maybe worn )definitelly, this car has some interesting story to be honestly told and analized
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Troy

The stripe is coded on the fender tag right? However, the one on the car currently is a reproduction. I had thought the SE emblems may have been added but the rear windows would be more involved than just sticking on some emblems. I wasn't aware of the other SE specific items which is why I asked.

Troy

Nacho-RT74

yes, does look is coded, just was advertising the car has been rebuilt and the stripe is not definitelly the factory one. So the car has some or lot modifications made.

thats why I'm telling this car has some interesting story to be honestly told and analized
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Brock Samson