News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ceramic Headers Rusting

Started by Sublime69, June 29, 2009, 05:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sublime69

Do any of you guys have a problem with what looks like small rust spots popping up on your ceramic coated headers?

How can I get rid of it and prevent it from happening? My car usually runs between 180-200 so I'm not sure what else to do. I thought about tryting to rub it off lightly with a ScotchBrite and maybe spraying some WD-40 on them while the car sits.

What would you guys do or currently do?
1969 Charger 440
1968 Satellite 318 Future Road Runner Clone
1989 Diplomat Ex-Cop Car Winter Beater
1985 Chevy C-10 400 SB Winter Project
2004 Honda Civic Daily Driver

mikepmcs

won't wd just burn off on the first run?

maybe scuff and repaint with some hi temp stuff.  are they under warranty?

I've never had ceramic anything so I don't know the answer , sorry.

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Sublime69

Yeah the WD would burn off but I don't drive the car that much anyway so it wouldn't be that much of a waste.

They still look good, so I'm not ready to paint them, not sure of a warranty though, I'll have to check on that. Thanks
1969 Charger 440
1968 Satellite 318 Future Road Runner Clone
1989 Diplomat Ex-Cop Car Winter Beater
1985 Chevy C-10 400 SB Winter Project
2004 Honda Civic Daily Driver

JeffYoung

The ceramic headers I had did that too (on my race car with a Buick 215 motor).  Nothing to do about it.  Just speckled rust.

I got my most recent set of headers covered by Jet Hot and no issues so far. Look brand new still, one year later.

TexasStroker

I've got some Dynomax headers on the Duster that are coated inside and out with Jet-Hot ...look awesome and have held up great.  I've been running them since 2005 but have a few spots that have popped up as you did...

I've done nothing.  It is really too much of a pita to pull them just to scuff and paint and I sure as heck don't want to get overspray on the engine or in the engine bay, or come to think of it a nice little run down a primary or something.

I believe they make some brush on stuff and some polish for coated headers, not sure if it applies to Jet-Hot though.

If they are small and visible you could try a brush on high-temp coating and hope it matches or conceals.  If they are on the underside of a primary or the collector you can do the same or ignore them. 

I figure if mine get to a point I can't stand it I'll simply pull them out and re-coat or re-spray entirely.  Prior to collapsing the primaries on one side I had some Hooker headers I'd cleaned and painted Hi Temp Black, they held up great despit what everyone said.  I assume you could find a similar color and go from there.

You might contact the mfg. and see what they reccommend.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!