News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

starting install of tremec 5 speed in 73 challenger got ?'s

Started by charger2fast4u, June 27, 2009, 10:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

i just got a keisler tremec 5 speed for my 73 challenger 440. i have a question on the bellhousing/crank allignment. says to use a thousandths indicator and magnetic base. i understand what they mean by alligning it all up but how do i go about putting the magnetic base on the flywheel? i would think it would need dead centered on the flywheel or else as you turn the motor youll get an unaccurate reading. can anyone go over this with me and help me more understand how to do this thanks.

lisiecki1

do you have a link to the instructions so I can give you accurate information?  From your description I'm thinking you need to mount the mag base to the block and then check the O.D. runout on the associated parts, but I'd like to see the instructions so I can give you accurate information.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

histoy

I think that what you are trying to measure is the concentricity of the hole in the bellhousing compared to the center of the crank.   Make sure the hole is clean and free of bumps that will throw off the reading. 

I mounted the magnetic base on the machined surface of the flywheel next to the unmachined portion used for mounting it to the crank.  As the crank turns, the magnetic base will remain concentric to the center of the crank.

Attach the dial indicator so the pin rides inside the hole of the bellhousing as you slowly turn the crank.  Set the indicator at zero, and write "0" on the bellhousing at that point.  Make sure the indictor can read plus & minus from zero as it goes around the hole.   As I rotated the crank, I wrote on the bellhousing the +/- reading from zero every 45 degrees.   You compare the variation in readings (highest to lowest) to determine if they are within tolerance.  If not, you can buy an off-set dowel kit from Mopar Performance that can center the bellhousing properly. 

I hope i made this explanation clear enough to help....Brian 

charger2fast4u

the part that confuses me is where to munt the base for the indicator. i would think that the indicator would have to be centered with the crank so it is centered when the crank turns and the indicator rounds the bellhousing and gets an accurate reading. wouldn't you get a false reading if you mount the base anywhere on the flywheel and touch the bellhousing with the indicator and turn the crank? or am i wrong? no link to instructions i'd scan them if i had a scanner for you's to see

histoy

The magnetic base won't move and will remain concentric to the center of the crank as you spin it.  As long as the just the tip of the indicator touches the hole in the bellhousing, and the arm and base of the magnetic base don't move, the readings you get should be accurate compared to the center of the crank.

charger2fast4u

so i can put the base anywhere on the flywheel and as long as i have the gauge on the bellhousing hole and zero it with enough travel to read neg and pos i will get an accurate reading?

histoy

Yes, but set the gauge so the stem is at a right angle to the surface of the hole you are measuring.