News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Father/son 1972 charger restoration project

Started by oldrock, June 26, 2009, 11:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

oldrock

We are still working on Josh's 72 and have alot of things to do to get it where we want it but at least we are past the "cant drive it" stage so it is a milestone for us. We will continue to work on his charger and post up pics of our progress as we go. Oh and I have to say it really hasn't seemed like work at all fixing up his muscle car. We have both had a great time working on his car so far and will continue to fix it up over time as his budget allows.

Re my project... I will do a an update on that in a few days if all goes well. :yesnod:

jaak

Quote from: oldrock on August 12, 2009, 08:07:09 PM
We are still working on Josh's 72 and have alot of things to do to get it where we want it but at least we are past the "cant drive it" stage so it is a milestone for us. We will continue to work on his charger and post up pics of our progress as we go. Oh and I have to say it really hasn't seemed like work at all fixing up his muscle car. We have both had a great time working on his car so far and will continue to fix it up over time as his budget allows.

Re my project... I will do a an update on that in a few days if all goes well. :yesnod:

:2thumbs: Cool! just keep us informed!

Jason

Foreman72

Quote from: oldrock on August 12, 2009, 08:07:09 PM

what have you guys done under the hood so far
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

alcusswhen

Here's a chart you two will need to avoid tickets!
DODGE  PLYMOUTH CHRYSLER MOPAR SPEEDOMETER PINION GEAR CHART

Axle Ratio                   Rear Tire Diameter                        
     24"    25"    26"    27"    28"    29"    30"    31"    32"    33"

2.76    30    29    28    27    26    25    24    *    *    *
     teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth              
2.94    32    31    30    29    28    27    26    25    24    *
     teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    
3.23    35    34    33    32    31    30    29    28    27    26
     teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth
3.55    39    38-37    36    34    33    32    31    30    29    28
     teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth
3.73    41    40    38    36    35    34    33    32    31    30
3.91    43    42-41    40    38    37    36    35    34    33    32
4.10    45    44-43    42    40    39    37    36    35    34    33
4.30    *    *    44    43-42    41    39    38    37    36    35
               teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth
4.56    *    *    *    45    43    42-41    40    38    37    36
                    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth    teeth
Bone 7

73 Charger SE/ 318/391 stroker, 2500 Boss Hogg converter/ 391 sure grip.
07 Charger R/T

oldrock

re what have you guys done under the hood so far

So far under hood we have:
lots of general cleanup
all fluid changed
added rad overflow tank
rework and paint air cover
rework and paint hood latch
basic tuneup on carb
plugs and wires
replace battery tray and support

Still need to do some tweaking on carb/timing to get better acceleration thru the rev range and we have a small power steering leak to address. We also need to still work on the trunk which had rust where the old power antena hole let water in and also need to do something about some rust on the front floor pans. Not too bad so might do a patch job or even debating fiberglassing it in just to keep cost down.

Josh also wants a new pair of front tires/rims so he has a matching set and will probably pick up a cheap radio so he has some music in the car. There are still alot of little things to do although at least now the car is drivable so the rest can be done as money allows.

ACUDANUT

So what does the car look like now?. (full picture)  :shruggy:

Finn

One vote for no on the fiberglass. You'll kick yourself in the long run. :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Foreman72

well thats good that you didn;t have to do any major engine work...if i may recommend...when the $$ becomes available, search out for an inexpensive 4bbl intake & a 4bbl carb :Twocents:
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

oldrock

well you can add new heater hoses to the list today  :'(

We were adjusting the timing and let the car really warm up thoroughly while idling to make sure we adjusted idle and timing properly and had a blowout on a heater hose. It was a small split in an area we couldn't see so at first I thought we had a water pump housing leak so glad it was just a hose. Got em fixed up and also adjusted the timing/idle today so the charger is running pretty solid.

Going to have to wait on the 4-barrel since Josh spent his last 50 bucks on the wires/plugs and 1 more quart of clearcoat which we hope to shoot on the car this weekend. Once that last coat of clearcoat is on, Josh will start the time consuming polishing process and hopefully get the car to shine a bit more.

Drive wise, it is working pretty well although when we were adjusting the timing today, we noticed the belts are looking pretty old so I think he is going to need to change those out fairly quickly too. Also noticed the carb had a slow drip of gas thru the linkage. Guess we will have to chase down a carb kit to get new seals and see if that stops it. Oh and we got to get that whitewall on the passenger front flipped before school starts. There are still lots of little things to do but running alot smoother with the new plugs/wires and the newly adjusted timing/idle.

mopar_nut_440_6

A carb kit will likely not cure the leak as the drip through the linkage is likely due to wear in the throttle shaft bore which will generally require a re bush. I have only seen a couple of carbs which had a seal on the shaft and these were import carbs. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Cheers,
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

oldrock

if a carb kit would not fix the slow drip, guess we will prob just shop for a new carb. hate to buy a new 2 barrel if he ends up going with a 4 barrel. We were told though by an old gear head who owned a dodge 318 for years that a good 2 barrel carb actually is a good match for the 318. He said he tried a 4 barrel and actually lost some low end torque so on our setup, said go for a good holley 2 barrel which would probably cost us 200-300. You guys think that makes best since for Josh? I am willing to buy it for him and let him pay me back over time since I don't like the idea of him dripping gas regardless of how slow the drip is.

just a reminder he is a 318 with headers and dual exhaust. Everything else stock and we are not trying to go for max hp, just a good sounding crusing car for him.

Foreman72

Quote from: oldrock on August 17, 2009, 12:08:32 PM
if a carb kit would not fix the slow drip, guess we will prob just shop for a new carb. hate to buy a new 2 barrel if he ends up going with a 4 barrel. We were told though by an old gear head who owned a dodge 318 for years that a good 2 barrel carb actually is a good match for the 318. He said he tried a 4 barrel and actually lost some low end torque so on our setup, said go for a good holley 2 barrel which would probably cost us 200-300. You guys think that makes best since for Josh? I am willing to buy it for him and let him pay me back over time since I don't like the idea of him dripping gas regardless of how slow the drip is.

just a reminder he is a 318 with headers and dual exhaust. Everything else stock and we are not trying to go for max hp, just a good sounding crusing car for him.

i don't think it'll cost that much...you could get a remaned one...check out paddock for those...but imo get the 4bbl setup...you shouldn't loose anything and you should gain alot...
Eric "Foreman"

lisiecki1

I think money is of a large consequence for them at this juncture though, would be considerably cheaper to buy a reman 2 bbl unit at this point in time.....unless a screaming deal can be found on egay or craigslist.....
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

oldrock

yep, Josh has a very limited budget so adding a new intake plus a 4 barrel would probably be out of reach unless he found a smoking deal on a rebuilt one somewhere. What we were thinking is a rebuilt 2 barrel that will bolt right in. Any suggestions on a good strong running 2 barrel that fits the stock 318 setup and hopefully reasonably priced.  ;)

Also got to say cruising around in the charger is fun. We get lots of thumbs up when driving around and when we stop, we get alot of comments from folks who are old charger fans.

lisiecki1

i believe holley makes a 2 barrel in two different flavors, 350cfm and 500 cfm.......i would go with the 500 myself, as I used to run a 600 holley 4 barrel on my old 318 and it ran very well....as for sourcing it, best I can say is go to oreilly's or autozone or whatever is popular in your area.....

mopar_nut_440_6

Can you post a pic of the carb you have and any numbers on it as I have a new 2 bbl reman carb I picked up a number of years ago which may work. I believe it was for a small block Chrysler. If it looks like it would work I would send it out to you if you can cover shipping.
1968 Charger R/T 440 

oldrock

hey that would be too cool! I will get Josh to go take a pic of it and post it up. I believe it is still the stock carb and intake but I am new to mopar so will let the pics confirm or deny that. Oh and we would gladly pay shipping and still feel strange getting such a good deal. Maybe we could get you a gift subscription to a hotrod mag or something as our way of saying thanks for the generous offer?

Oldrock

oldrock

I told Josh about your offer and he went straight out to get the pics. Hopefully they will show you what you need to see. Even if it ends up your carb won't fit, thanks a bunch for the nice offer! If it happens to work out that you think the carb would work, let us know and we will cover shipping cost plus some extra to cover gas money, etc. The numbers on the carb are: 61505A  1102  08

lisiecki1

wow, does that bring back memories.........thanks for the pic!

mopar_nut_440_6

OK, I looked in my first garage and did not find the carb. I still have another garage to look in but I am in the middle of finishing it so stuff is stacked up and in rubbermaid bins. I will take a look tomorrow to see if I can find it. I thought I knew exactly where it was but the carb box I figured it was in was full of carb kits from my drag racing days. I cannot say for sure but as I recall it did look familiar to that one, of course I likely have not looked at it in 15 years but it is/was a brand new rebuild.

Bear with me!

Cheers,
1968 Charger R/T 440 

69bronzeT5

Looks a lot like the carb that's on my Duster :scratchchin:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

oldrock

no worries mopar nut, if you do happen to find it and it looks like a match just let us know. Otherwise, our gameplan is to get a reman holley carb to put on there. Still stuff to do but it still suprises us to see how many people comment on the car. We daily have strangers comment about it at stop lights, etc. Josh loves driving it around the neighborhood and is actually kinda looking forward to school this year  :smilielol: There will be no missing that charger in the school parking lot. It won't be the most expensive car out there but will be one of the coolest!

lisiecki1

that's how it was for me too....nobody knew me....everyone knew "the big, gray, badass car in the parking lot"  :rofl:

Troy

I'd stick with the 2bbl for now as well. I had a 318 70 Challenger and a 318 68 Charger in high school and they had plenty of power and got decent mileage as well. I recently had a 4bbl on my 73 318 Barracuda and I really think it hurt overall performance (although it would still manage 23 mpg on the highway). I have a 351 in my Mustang (shhhh) right now with a big 2bbl and it's got way more power than you'd expect. It had a 4bbl from the factory and I'll be amazed if the car has much more power when I swap it back. Fit the carb to the engine. I think the original designers/engineers had it right so if you haven't done anything to make the engine flow more air then you won't need more carb.

Unfortunately, I don't have any spare parts or you could have one. Summit lists a replacement (Carter but rebuilt by Holley) for $131.69 if you're in a hurry.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.