News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 For sale, what's it worth?

Started by BombSquad, April 28, 2010, 11:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BombSquad

I am in the market for a 68 to use for a pro-touring build and came across this car. What does everyone think it's worth? I am not overly concerned about it being a 318 because I plan on building a stroker 400 B, single turbo, 4L80E and dana 60 out back. It appears to be missing a lot of trim, and the hood doesn't line up, but if it's solid I am thinking it would be fine to strip it down and paint it black.

Thanks for the help guys, I have a 70 Duster but am a little clueless about the b-body's current values.

Its listed for $17,500 firm.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AcsmLdo4bt2Km&emid=sharview&linkid=link2&cid=EMsharview

Click "view album"
68 Charger - 440 EFI/SS700 5 Speed
70 Duster - 225ci

Charger-Bodie

I think you could find alot better deal than that. Have you looked in our Classifieds here on the site?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BombSquad

Yes, I have seen a few nice looking ones on here. The blue R/T is nice but I think it needs floor pans and a trunk at the very least. The fact that it's an R/T isn't a huge concern for me only because I plan to modify it.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,63592.0.html

Again, I appreciate the help guys!

70 Duster - 225ci

375instroke

BombSquad

Quote from: 375instroke on April 28, 2010, 02:42:24 PM
$5,000

Do you mean $15000? Surely it must be worth more than $5k, the appraisal was for $17500.
70 Duster - 225ci

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: BombSquad on April 28, 2010, 11:39:58 AM
Yes, I have seen a few nice looking ones on here. The blue R/T is nice but I think it needs floor pans and a trunk at the very least. The fact that it's an R/T isn't a huge concern for me only because I plan to modify it.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,63592.0.html

Again, I appreciate the help guys!

I think Troys car needs some minor floor work and maybe a trunk pan? But,I would take his over the one you linked thats for sure.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Troy

Quote from: 375instroke on April 28, 2010, 02:42:24 PM
$5,000
If that car is worth $5k I'm pulling all of mine off the market and turn into the crotchety old guy that hoards everything and will "fix them up some day". It looks like it runs and drives and doesn't have rust holes you can see through so that puts it above the $5k mark fairly easily.

On the other hand, I can't imagine it's worth $17,500 in this market. It might have been appraised at that but those rarely reflect selling prices.

The paint looks relatively new but it's sloppy and the body lines managed to get sanded off. Dunno what the black paint in the engine compartment and trunk are hiding but I'd definitely check it over well. The interior is presentable but ugly (in my opinion of course). Custom touches almost always hurt the value. The door pads, dash and carpet are an easy $1,000 if you had to replace them. It has a lot of new parts - not all are stock looking so it just a matter of taste. The 318 may hurt the value too but it's tough to say how much. I can't imagine being able to build a rust bucket to that condition for that kind of money.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BombSquad

I appreciate the help guys. I am definitely going to look elsewhere. I sent you a PM back Troy :2thumbs:
70 Duster - 225ci

375instroke

I'll go off what I have in my avatar.  I got that for $20,000, and it was on the market for over a month.  It was relative rust free, original motor and trans, and 88,000 miles.  There's another member with a very low survivor '68 red R/T that got his for $20,000 also.  Now this car is missing all the grill trim, sidelights are painted over, others missing, no wipers, ugly stripe that isn't even straight, gas cap ring gone, obvious rust in the back window since the seams are Bondoed over, silver rear panel, missing antenna, missing hood blinker, rattle bombed engine compartment, missing A/C, 318, aftermarket brakes, probably leaking heater core (disconnected), butchered wiring, door panels warped and cut for speakers, no door seals or bumpers, no door sills, added points for the Hang Ten gas pedal, ugly seats, overspray on interior, aftermarket steering wheel, column shift column with aftermarket floor shifter, no brake petal pad, aftermarket gauges, what's with where the radio goes, cracked dash pad, broken window crank, package tray, rear leaf shackles, front tires too small, headlight doors aren't closed.  Am I too picky?  This is just what I see in the pics.  I'd have a hard time paying $5,000.  I didn't even mention the paint, but do I have too?

BombSquad

70 Duster - 225ci

375instroke

694spdRT

I know of a guy that just sold his 27,000 mile original '68 Charger. It was bought new in the family and had one repaint. No rust, it is in real nice original condition, and is an original 383 2bbl car. He let it go for $20K and I thought was a good deal even in this market.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

ChargerST

Quote from: 375instroke on April 30, 2010, 11:13:05 AM
Not saying these cars don't have some problems, and they are not all Chargers, but this car just rubs me wrong.  Look at what's out there.

'70 4-speed GTX for $14,500
'70 Charger R/T for $18,500
'71 'Cuda for $13,200
'69 Super Bee, red original paint and interior for $15,000
'68 GTX for $16,900
'68 4-speed GTX (383 now) for $9,000
'69 Charger R/T for $6,900

Don't know about the other ones but the 70 is definately a fake. Was on ebay a few weeks ago with a much higher price. Any craigslist ads without a phone number or at least an email address in the ad raise a red flag for me.

1BAD68

Quote from: BombSquad on April 30, 2010, 10:19:57 AM
How about this 68? Supposed to be a 30yr garage find.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charger-RARE-FIND-1968-DODGE-CHARGER-FACTORY-BIG-BLOCK-CAR-/270569585740?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3eff343c4c

I am also considering a nice looking, nearly complete roller from a member here!

That actually belongs to a friend of mine, it is a nice car

BombSquad

70 Duster - 225ci

Troy

Quote from: BombSquad on May 03, 2010, 11:40:13 PM
Still looking for a car.

Troy, if you see this I sent you a PM, maybe it never went through. Interested in your car still.

Does anyone care to look at this other Ebay auction?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dodge-Charger-440-1968-Dodge-Charger-440HP-6-Pack-Restored-Low-Reserve-/270570812779?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3eff46f56b

Pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/carcavemotorspictures/1968DodgeChargerWhite

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dodTXlCQA4
I wouldn't call it "nicely restored" but it doesn't look too bad - although pictures hide a lot and I can tell that car will look a lot worse in person just from the few things I can see. It doesn't appear to be hiding a ton of shoddy body work but there are no pictures from inside the trunk either. The undercoating is great for a car that's going to get driven a lot. For what you want to do it doesn't matter about the problems in the interior or the wrong color in the engine compartment. The bumpers and a lot of the chrome will need polished/replaced but you'll deal with that on a lot of cars. The wheel lip moldings are completely gone and I haven't heard good things about the reproductions. It doesn't say what drive train the car originally had but it's reasonable to think that the torsion bars, rear springs, brakes, are not the heavy duty versions and may not be totally safe with the weight of the 440. However, you're going to replace those any way. I don't know what it will actually sell for but I'd guess mid teens?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

375instroke

Well, it does have 4-leaf springs.