News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tilt Shift Camaras and DSLR lenses..

Started by Brock Samson, June 26, 2009, 07:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

I had first noticed the cool capabilities of these on commercial bumps of Adult Swim, I was perplexed as to how these effects were achieved but it has come to my attention it's a new lens technology that allows for focus to be maintained at all lengths or something like that,.. I'm a newbie Photo amature.. afterall,.
You may have seen these photos where things look like models?.. anyhow It's news and of intrest to me so I just thought I'd share...

for example:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2009/01/09/tilt-shift-with-full-frame-dslrs/

I would love to take some shots of my Charger or my fleet for that matter with one of these..
  I think I'll call a friend at the newspapers' Photo Dept...  :shruggy:
I'll let ya' know what I find out... Just thought I'd share...

Magnumcharger

The concept of tilt and shift is as old as photography itself.
At one time (and not that long ago), lenses were seperated from the body of cameras by means of an accordion section of fabric, known as "bellows".
Some of the more fancy cameras actually allowed the photographer to pivot the lens in a manner that would put it non-parrallel from the face of the film. This was called a "tilt".
A "shift" was the raising or lowering the lens in relation to the film.
The original purpose of this was to in closeup photography, which was assisted by a decrease in aperture (f-stop), which essentially increased the avaliable depth of field...therefore making everything in focus.
If you didn't decrease the aperture, you got the "fuzzy-around-the-edges" look.
What this did in effect was put part of the picture out of focus.
Some people really loved what this effect looked like, and have developed a means of replicating this it.
If I were to do this, I'd simply do it in photo-shop.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Brock Samson

Quote from: Magnumcharger on June 26, 2009, 07:36:35 PM
The concept of tilt and shift is as old as photography itself.
At one time (and not that long ago), lenses were seperated from the body of cameras by means of an accordion section of fabric, known as "bellows".
Some of the more fancy cameras actually allowed the photographer to pivot the lens in a manner that would put it non-parrallel from the face of the film. This was called a "tilt".
A "shift" was the raising or lowering the lens in relation to the film.
The original purpose of this was to assist in closeup photography, which was assisted by a decrease in aperture (f-stop), which essentially increased the avaliable depth of field...therefore making everything in focus.
If you didn't decrease the aperture, you got the "fuzzy-around-the-edges" look.
What this did in effect was put part of the picture out of focus.
Some people really loved what this effect looked like, and have developed a means of replicating this effect.
If I were to do this, I'd simply do it in photo-shop.

Thanks for the simple and concise explaination,.. now that you mention it, I do recall older "vintage" photography having this quality so I will pay special attention the pictures allready in my collection.

Magnumcharger

Simple...concise?  :smilielol:

If it made any sense at all, I'm glad to be of assistance!
Here is a picture of me just after I became a military photographer back in 1983.
In my hand is a Speed Graphic camera, which you might recognize from vintage movies, especially those from 1930s to 1960s.
It was also used primarily as a press camera by photographers in WWII.
It has the features I wrote about, in addition to using 4" x 5" film, which gave phenomenal resolution in very large pictures.

Brock Samson

Here's a Video using the technique,.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBXYIkE-0Jg

an anudder pic..

more pics tips and history incl. wallpapers here..

http://www.glitteringstones.com/blog/2009/05/

50 more pics and more stuff here on how to photoshop...

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11/16/beautiful-examples-of-tilt-shift-photography/

Brock Samson

Mike DC

There are a couple of tilt-shifted shots (rolling footage, not stills) in the new Facebook movie.

FlatbackFanatic

Flatback Fanatic, Kurt  , MN

PocketThunder

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 18, 2010, 12:26:50 AM
There are a couple of tilt-shifted shots (rolling footage, not stills) in the new Facebook movie.

There is a movie about facebook?   :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 18, 2010, 12:26:50 AM

There is a movie about facebook?   :shruggy:

EDIT:  Ya ya i dont get out enough i guess.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1285016/
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

mikepmcs

"Lens filter" on the newer photoshop software will get you a sample of the results you seek.  I'm trying to save up for other lenses so I cannot afford the perspective lenses.

The undisputed king of T/S is Keith Loutit.  Here's a quick vimeo link to a few of his video mastery.  http://vimeo.com/videos/search:'Keith%20Loutit'%20/cf574a1a
The guy is incredible and nobody will tell you any different.

One of my favorites is his "bathtub IV"   http://vimeo.com/3156959

Type his name in youtube as well.

Here, you can build your lens for next to nothing using a plunger.  http://www.creativepro.com/article/build-a-tilt-shift-camera-lens-peanuts

I love T/S photography BTW!
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Magnumcharger

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

PocketThunder

Quote from: mikepmcs on October 19, 2010, 04:34:42 PM
here's my crappy attempts at it.   :icon_smile_big:

http://mikepmcs.smugmug.com/Other/Tiltshift/12535197_6tLhU#899266241_N5quu

Nice work Mike, the more i look at your work that you post on here the more i realize that good photography must be more work than restoring a Charger.  I mean it must take years and years of experience to get to be a pro-photographer, similar to the years and years of practice it takes to restore a Charger.

mikepmcs

Thank you, Sir.  Very kind words that I'm sure I don't deserve.  I like it alot and hope to make a living off it someday.  What I have in artistic expression though I severely lack in business/marketing sense.  So, I'm a little clueless on the business end.(it was the same way with my woodworking and a couple other things)
I'm moving forward though and trying to write a business plan right now to submit to the VA(voc rehab) so they can get me some more equipment that I need.  I'm lazy is what it boils down to actually. 
I just bought the Nikon D3S last weekend with money I don't have but it is one of the cameras I need to move forward.
I spend most of my pennies on anything camera and car related and to tell you the truth, the cars are about to take a back seat and pretty much have for the most part.  Meaning I am thinking of selling them to fund my photography addiction.
I'm not getting any younger and I can't get the money quick enough the normal way.
Anyway I'm glad you like my pictures and that was a very nice compliment.  Thank you.
It will inspire me to post more and work harder to make quality pictures.
I'm always learning and will share anything I know, which isn't much.   :icon_smile_big: :cheers:

Brock Samson

I very much enjoyed those links and you'ze guys attempts - amature or otherwise...  :2thumbs: