News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

driving past the new chargers

Started by ChargerDuane, June 26, 2009, 03:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerDuane

:scratchchin: I always wonder if the driver of the new chargers even know what I'm driving. I have a feeling that if its a RT or SRT they know what my second gen is. Other then that I'm kind of saddened just seeing a simple people carrier with the charger badge. Well, I guess I'm still a little peeved that the new chargers have four doors.  But, I guess I can't blame the drivers since they probably bought the car for its function and not the name. I'm just sayin that I get an unsettling feeling when I see those cars.  Now, it's time to have some  :cheers: and forget about it........until the next time.
Make it so!

devilgear

I own a 2006 R/T...I sure as hell know what your 2nd gen is as well as my 3rd gen I have....Have you ever driven one? If no, you should they are fun cars. Granted we all agree they should not have 4 doors, but I would rather drive the wronged named Charger with 4 doors and 350 hp than a stripped down fart box...

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yup, I know what you are driving as well....see the sig pic :wave:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: dslicer on June 26, 2009, 03:24:37 AM
:scratchchin: I always wonder if the driver of the new chargers even know what I'm driving. I have a feeling that if its a RT or SRT they know what my second gen is. Other then that I'm kind of saddened just seeing a simple people carrier with the charger badge. Well, I guess I'm still a little peeved that the new chargers have four doors.  But, I guess I can't blame the drivers since they probably bought the car for its function and not the name. I'm just sayin that I get an unsettling feeling when I see those cars.  Now, it's time to have some  :cheers: and forget about it........until the next time.
I wondered the same thing.  I wave to R/T and SRT Chargers, but not the standard ones.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

ACUDANUT

I don't give them any attention.  No comparison except the name. BTW They are giving them away @14,000 new.  I only wish they would discount those new Challengers. :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

I wave to the muscel ones, a fast Mopar is a fast Mopar, and I wave back to just about anyone who gives me props in the old Charger.  Other than that the rest are just family cars to me.

Brock Samson

General Lee - just prior to blowing there doors off - I see their eyes get big  :o - and sometimes, if they're not in complete shock,.. then their mouths start flapping...  :D

Silver R/T

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 26, 2009, 11:27:57 AM
I don't give them any attention.  No comparison except the name. BTW They are giving them away @14,000 new.  I only wish they would discount those new Challengers. :icon_smile_big:

they would have to pay me to drive one of those (after I remove badges)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

I've noticed the same thing - the blank look on driver's faces when their brain isn't making the connection at all. These are generally the same people who have no affection at all for older cars (and possibly cars in general if they only need basic transportation). Not everyone gets excited when they see a classic on the road.

Then you get the opposite - the ones who try to park right next to you at cruise-ins because you "have the same car". It's not all bad though, then I can show people that "those big ol' cars" weren't really all that big.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Brock Samson on June 26, 2009, 12:17:58 PM
  General Lee - just prior to blowing there doors off - I see their eyes get big  :o - and sometimes, if they're not in complete shock,.. then their mouths start flapping...  :D

Whaaa? :shruggy:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

teamroth

Brock. I absolutely love your car. Great pic.
I'd rather die than go to heaven.

ChgrSteve67

I like the looks of the new Chargers but I so want to run over and replace the Charger badge with a Coronet badge.

As far as people looking.....

There are those that look those that don't and those that have to hang out the window yelling something. (Hard to hear over the exhaust)
Does not really matter what they drive.

Steve

bull

Quote from: Troy on June 26, 2009, 03:52:09 PM
I've noticed the same thing - the blank look on driver's faces when their brain isn't making the connection at all. These are generally the same people who have no affection at all for older cars (and possibly cars in general if they only need basic transportation). Not everyone gets excited when they see a classic on the road.

I've noticed that too. Obviously not in my car yet but when I've ridden in them we got a wide range of reactions. Some people didn't notice at all (usually old women) while others acted as if ten Hollywood celebrities were on board and were hanging out their window at 65 mph taking pictures.

Magnumcharger

I laughed my face off...and pointed out to my daughter...a new Charger Taxi, as it drove by me yesterday.
She couldn't understand my glee.... :naughty:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on June 26, 2009, 04:22:26 PM
I like the looks of the new Chargers but I so want to run over and replace the Charger badge with a Coronet badge.
Steve

I agree, I think the name Coronet would have been a good choice, but I suppose the name CHARGER brought about more sales. :shruggy:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Ghoste

Apparently not enough new sales.  :D

Sublime/Sixpack

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on June 27, 2009, 05:45:15 PM
Steve

I agree, I think the name Coronet would have been a good choice, but I suppose the name CHARGER brought about more sales. :shruggy:

I don't think so...Coronet would of been a bad choice too. Like come on.....

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Ghoste

But Coronet has a long standing tradition within Dodge of being first and foremost a family car with some high performance models sprinkled in.  Including some pretty nasty four door ones.  :icon_smile_wink:

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on June 28, 2009, 11:36:10 PM
Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on June 27, 2009, 05:45:15 PM
Steve

I don't think so...Coronet would of been a bad choice too. Like come on.....

I wasn't suggesting that had they badged the car a Coronet that it would have sold better, I just simply think the name Coronet fits the car better than Charger.

I'm not sure why you posted the photos of the three Coronets, or exactly what you meant by "Like come on" but personally I like the the '67, '68, Coronet R/T's pictured. In fact the orange '67 belongs to a friend of mine, very nice car! But then down deep I still prefer the 1967 thru 1969 Coronet R/T's to the Chargers.  :Twocents:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Sublime/Sixpack on June 29, 2009, 12:33:04 AM
I'm not sure why you posted the photos of the three Coronets, or exactly what you meant by "Like come on" but personally I like the the '67, '68, Coronet R/T's pictured. In fact the orange '67 belongs to a friend of mine, very nice car! But then down deep I still prefer the 1967 thru 1969 Coronet R/T's to the Chargers.  :Twocents:

What I'm saying is comparing the new Chargers to the old Chargers, the new one shouldn't be badged a Charger like everyone else said. I do like the new Chargers, just don't like the fact they called it a Charger. Same goes for the Coronets, comparing a new Charger to the old Coronets, the name Coronet wouldn't suit the new one either. IMO, they should of come up with a new name for the car instead of calling it a Charger. Get what I'm saying? :P

1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Brock Samson

Again,...   the Car was supposed to be named "ENFORCER" because it was developed especially with police and fleet sales in mind, but at the dealers meeting in 2002 they were asked to vote on the name and CHARGER was a write in against Magnum, Intrepid and Enforcer,.. "Charger" won by an overwhelming margin.
The dealers were allready upset that Daimler had taken over and among other things insituted a program freeze while they changed all product development to incorporate their old E-series floorplan stampings and various bits and pieces like seats and switchgear, effevtivly delaying all new car introductions from 6 Mos. to 2+ years... I they actually did a pretty darn good on the LXs concidering everything involved - and another related reason for the delays and redesigns - was to meet the front offset collision standards which the LH cars and others then in development (like the Pacifica) were remarkably deficient.
I'm trying to find the original line up of 2003 Chrysler designs (pre Daimler) but they seem to have been removed from the web...

BTW:   :scratchchin:
I had a wild thought about putting those '68 Coronet 500 or were they 440? chrome scallops on the second gens chargers door,.. just a though,...  :shruggy:

jb666

I bought an 06 R/T for my daily driver a few months ago. It is an awesome, comfortable, enjoyable car. Is it a speed machine? No. A handle-on-rails car like my Vette? No.  It's a cool daily driver that I'm having a LOT of fun enjoying.  Half the people knocking them haven't driven one, and wouldn't because of the name on the car..

I remember when I bought my '69, I had a local car guy tell me "Those are all rust boxes, they weren't built to last!!". Just goes to show how stereotypical ignorance runs wild.

I tell every one I come across "did I buy this cause it's a Charger? NOPE, I got it because I loved it once I drove it".

I want speed and handling I have a car in the garage that'll run an 11 second 1/4 and take off-ramps at 90MPH without breaking a sweat (as it sits in street trim).. Not many Chargers, old or new that'll touch that.  :cheers:

Brock Samson

I drove my friends' '08 300 C yesterday alot nicer then the Charger R/T i drove a few years ago...
very classy in it's light blue/silver it got alot of looks and felt really good, it felt very tight, solid and mature,.. if kinda' blocky and square... I'd still like to sample an SRT Chally..  :yesnod:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Brock Samson on June 29, 2009, 07:31:41 PM
I'd still like to sample an SRT Chally..  :yesnod:

Not sure about the SRT's but the R/T Challys are awesome to drive :drive: :D