News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

drip rail stamped VIN

Started by superbirdtom, June 25, 2009, 10:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superbirdtom

I just stripped the drivers side trunk gutter down on a bird and found the stamped VIN . it is preceded by the letters  AO   ,is this normal? what do they stand for ?   and there is another number stamped from the bottom of the gutter channel can't make them out  they are on both sides.  I assume they are part numbers for the gutters?

glad to report gutter in exellent shape :laugh:

Aero426

I've always assumed A= Lynch Road and 0= 1970, then the sequential VIN, just like your dashboard.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on June 25, 2009, 11:41:19 AM
I've always assumed A= Lynch Road and 0= 1970, then the sequential VIN, just like your dashboard.

:iagree:  It does................
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

arrow

Wonder why Chry. stamped the body with the plant designation before the year  as opposed to the order on the vin. ?

hemigeno

Don't know why, but they sure did it that way.

Radiator yoke stampings are usually the same (perhaps made at the same time??  :shruggy: ) format as the trunk lip... Plant / Year / Sequence #

Has anyone else noticed that XP or XS Charger VIN stampings on the trunk rail are often up "higher" on the drip rail than Daytona or C500 stampings?  If an AeroCharger's stamping was up too far on the drip rail, it could have been partially eliminated when they installed the window plug -- which required cutting a section of the drip rail out...  Danny noticed that many AeroCharger stampings were much closer to the taillight panel than on XP/XS cars.  He and I didn't examine a super-large sample of cars for this particular detail, but the ones we looked at seemed to follow that general pattern.   :scope: 

'Bird VINs may not have had any reason for this quirk (if it's even a quirk) since the 'Bird rear window plug didn't change the decklid or driprail.

:scratchchin:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on June 25, 2009, 05:15:05 PM
Don't know why, but they sure did it that way.

Radiator yoke stampings are usually the same (perhaps made at the same time??  :shruggy: ) format as the trunk lip... Plant / Year / Sequence #

It looks too me the same gun/person did all the body stampings just as the same gun/guy did the engine/trans stampings (on most cars anyway).

superbirdtom

Thanks  for the info , the reverse thing threw me, I haven't gotton to the rad support yet but I have heard that it can be on the top or the front of it above radiator .All the b-bodys I have ever painted have had them on the top??  :shruggy:

maxwellwedge

pettybird

Quote from: superbirdtom on June 26, 2009, 08:09:04 PM
Thanks  for the info , the reverse thing threw me, I haven't gotton to the rad support yet but I have heard that it can be on the top or the front of it above radiator .All the b-bodys I have ever painted have had them on the top??  :shruggy:

it'll be unusual for you to find one on your bird.  lots are missing, including both of my cars.  the birds I have seen with them have been on top. 

arrow

neither  of my 500s were stamped on the trunk drip rail , 210719 and 210721, I wondered abouth other cars with vins close to them.

hemigeno

Quote from: arrow on June 26, 2009, 11:28:13 PM
neither  of my 500s were stamped on the trunk drip rail , 210719 and 210721, I wondered abouth other cars with vins close to them.

Wonder if the stamping was accidentally made in the section of the driprail that was later cut out at Creative...   :scratchchin:

FJMG

Quote from: hemigeno on June 27, 2009, 02:37:44 PM
Quote from: arrow on June 26, 2009, 11:28:13 PM

Wonder if the stamping was accidentally made in the section of the driprail that was later cut out at Creative...   :scratchchin:
Just looked at my XP car and  the VIN is about 4.5" below the aero plug insert but maybe they wanted to be absolutely sure?

Quote from: hemigeno on June 25, 2009, 05:15:05 PM

Has anyone else noticed that XP or XS Charger VIN stampings on the trunk rail are often up "higher" on the drip rail than Daytona or C500 stampings?  If an AeroCharger's stamping was up too far on the drip rail, it could have been partially eliminated when they installed the window plug -- which required cutting a section of the drip rail out...  Danny noticed that many AeroCharger stampings were much closer to the taillight panel than on XP/XS cars.  He and I didn't examine a super-large sample of cars for this particular detail, but the ones we looked at seemed to follow that general pattern.   :scope: 

My XX car VIN is 4.625" aft of the location of the VIN on my XP car, just to add one comparison to your sample Gene.

hemigeno

superbirdtom

Quote from: pettybird on June 26, 2009, 09:31:59 PM
Quote from: superbirdtom on June 26, 2009, 08:09:04 PM

it'll be unusual for you to find one on your bird.  lots are missing, including both of my cars.  the birds I have seen with them have been on top. 
>

when i bought this bird I never looked at the rad support numbers or for the trunk lip ones as I never knew they were there. now stripping away three paint jobs  they are coming to light.  Hope to have rad suppt stripped this weekend.    thanks 

mopar_nut_440_6

Will you be starting a thread and posting pics of the resto?
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

superbirdtom

it is not going to be a full blown resto just a cleanup and repaint. After the car had been garaged for many years i lifted the trunk mat up and the middle of trunk floor got rusty just from moisture in the air. so I am going to replace the middle of trunk floor. i will post pics of how to do it without drilling out the whole blasted floorpan and destroying the factory spotwelds above the framerails.and it only takes a day to do it.

moparstuart

Quote from: superbirdtom on June 30, 2009, 10:51:56 AM
it is not going to be a full blown resto just a cleanup and repaint. After the car had been garaged for many years i lifted the trunk mat up and the middle of trunk floor got rusty just from moisture in the air. so I am going to replace the middle of trunk floor. i will post pics of how to do it without drilling out the whole blasted floorpan and destroying the factory spotwelds above the framerails.and it only takes a day to do it.

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE