News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What Fan was on the 68 440 engine? Bought a clutch fan but doesnt fit??

Started by Chargeraddict, June 25, 2009, 08:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargeraddict

Hey guys. Thought I was finishing up my car tonight but it seems there is no bloody room for the mopar clutch fan I bought? It just hits the rad, was there a smaller fan on these cars?? I need somthing that doesnt require much clearance...  I just want to drive this car!!

Ghoste

That is a common complaint with the Mopar Performance fan clutch.  If you do a quick search you'll find some part numbers of a couple of shorter ones that people have used.

Chatt69chgr

And I think that the shortest one is a Hayden piece that is listed for a Jaguar.  I think 56 is in the part number somewhere. 

dstryr

dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

y3chargerrt

I put Hayden 2765 clutch and correct 216 fan and it fits nice.It was a bit of the bitch using the original clutch to water pump bolts.It was a tight fit but they worked.

GreenMachine

You might be able to get away with using the 2863 216 fan with that clutch. I'm using the clutch from the MP viscous fan package with a 216 fan on my '70 with a 440 (after the 5 blade fan ate my radiator). You can also use the 2863 215, it's the same thing only 1/2" shorter diameter.
   The cheap generic 6 blade fan that they give you at the Parts store when you ask for a clutch fan for a 19__ Dodge Charger should also work with that clutch.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Tom Q

thanks for the help, I just ran into the same  problem  70 R/T Charger, 22" rad.

0X01B8

Same thing happened to me this week.  I got Napa p.n. # 261306, which correlates to the Hayden 2765.  I'm not sure if what I got is a Hayden, but it fits.

Chargeraddict

Thanks guys, Im going to have to return my fan for sure, the clutch is burried in the rad. I guess I will buy a direct drive. I have very little room

john108

These pictures are of my factory original 1968 charger 440 mag engine fan and clutch.  It fit with the factory radiator.

charger01

Quote from: john108 on June 26, 2009, 05:46:59 PM
These pictures are of my factory original 1968 charger 440 mag engine fan and clutch.  It fit with the factory radiator.

does this fan still use the spacer? and is it ok on a non ac car?

Cooter

Spacers are mainly for the old mech. fans to clear the pulleys. The clutch kinda IS the spacer on these type fans. You just don't wanna buy ANYTHING Mopar Performance wise.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

Hmmm... old thread.

Generally, A/C cars used a thermostatic clutch (will have a spring on the front), whereas non-A/C cars used a non-thermal clutch (flat faced). They style fan & clutch the OP has shown would be correct, it is an A/C car. I believe the '68's used the "215" fan. Clutch fans would not have used a separate spacer. Cooter is right, the clutch basically is the spacer. Spacers were used on fixed (non-clutch) fans.

Most 440 (non-A/C), 6-pack, & HEMI cars used a clutch ending in "070". Very hard to find.

A little more info would be needed if the current MP offering would fit. Has your radiator been recored with a core thicker than stock? The style of fan usually isn't the big deal, it's the length of the shaft on the clutch.
The current MP clutch part# ends in "704", and the shaft is slightly longer than the originals. If you have a stock thickness rad core, it will be a little close to the rad but it will still fit & work fine. I've found that the viscous fan itself does not fit 2nd-gen Chargers, at least not with a fan shroud. Generally most people buy the fan package just for the clutch itself & don't use the fan. The clutch is available separately, but it's actually cheaper to buy it with the fan package (Chrysler parts warranty reasons, so I'm told). The "704" clutch is the current Mopar offering due to superceded part #'s over the years. It is designed to replace both, but whether or not it will physically fit depends on how much room you have between your water pump & rad. I think the shaft length on the "704" clutch is about 3 inches, whereas the "070" clutch is 2-1/8" or so.

Performance-wise the "704" clutch should work fine on a non-A/C car if the rest of the cooling system is up to snuff. It does on my car.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

charger01

My radiator is stock, just curious if the 2765 clutch is ok for a non ax car. Guess Iam not grasping why there is a difference from ac to non ac. Thanks for ur input.