News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WANNA GUESS WHAT I'M UP TO NOW?

Started by mikepmcs, June 25, 2009, 07:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

;D
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

tan top

:yesnod:  !!!!    :think:  ........... :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69bronzeT5

Mike, when it comes to you....who knows! :icon_smile_big:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Back N Black

mikepmcs

Tan is all over it.
I'm over thinking it but thinking that the transistors and resistors are what is going to allow me to push the button and not fry the rest of my car. I'll let  flames do that. :lol:

Found most of the info on the internet of course.  I just can't see paying $145+ and you still have to buy coils and plugs, etc...

I'm $16 in it right now and some time. 

Any input is welcome here....
Basically, the little box, a pushbutton switch(momentary), 2 plugs, some wire, and i'm thinking 1 coil will work instead of 2.  12v to the positive side of the coil, ground the -.  Switch is in that mix somewhere.  coil lead(s) goes to the rear of the car and hooks to a plug in each exhaust.  Push the button, coil fires plugs....phoof, I got flame. 

Like I said, this is open for any suggestions on how to improve this.  Whatcha all got. :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike

Ghoste

Do you have to have a lot longer exhaust tips with those things to keep from frying paint on the valence?

mikepmcs

Quote from: Ghoste on June 25, 2009, 10:46:30 PM
Do you have to have a lot longer exhaust tips with those things to keep from frying paint on the valence?

Enter Adrian(aone415)

from his charger build thread

"Mike, the exhaust is just the exhaust tubes from TTI... They'll be cut down and chrome version will be put on sometime next week... If you want I can send the cut offs to you"

:icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:

mikepmcs

ok, tried the box out on my buddy's 77 impala and I have constant spark at the plug.  all i did was hook power to the coil, ground to the chassis(coil and box thingy), ran a power lead from 12 switched to the momentary switch and from the other side of the switch to my little box thingy I made.  started the impala and pushed the button and at first i had crappy spark(barely there and orange etc...) I thought using a lawnmower low profile plug would be the ticket but I was wrong.  I changed the plug to a champion I had and have constant spark all day long.  I'm down at the shop and the weather cleared so I'm going home to get the charger... We are thinking of using a harley coil with the dual wire deal. it's smaller and no need to run 2 coils this way.  I'll keep you updated.  

My main concern was not washing down cylinders and I refuse to do it that way(that's when you pump the heck out of the gas pedal after you flip the switch and it's wired in a way that cuts off your ignition in turn pooling up gas in the cylinders etc.....)  Active ignition(fuel pump tapped into your tank line that sprays a fine mist of gas just before the plug) is pretty dicey and basically a bomb ready to go off.

How am I gonna get raw gas or unburnt fuel back there, well that's my next task and I think I have the solution, we'll see. I shall return. :icon_smile_cool:

Mike out!

c00nhunterjoe

use a nozzle similar to a nitrous set-up with the solonoid at the tank so there is no fuel in the line until after the solnoid is activated. :popcrn:

mauve66

i always thought those things worked off the un-burnt fumes in the exhaust, i didn't know they had to have extra fuel going to them :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

maxwellwedge

I thought they plumbed nitrous into the exhaust  :lolexplode:   :scratchchin:   :shruggy:

Foreman72

http://www.eatmyflames.com/

i always wondered if anyone on here had done this...just make sure its totally foolproof...don't wanna blow yourself up...

after you get it done, you can produce them and sell them on here...make some cash  :yesnod:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

mikepmcs

Quote from: mauve66 on June 28, 2009, 08:12:16 PM
i always thought those things worked off the un-burnt fumes in the exhaust, i didn't know they had to have extra fuel going to them :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Yes they do, you are correct.  Many different ways and styles to do this.

One way is to put a switch in that interrupts the ignition and basically shuts the car down for a time while you pump the crap out  of the gas pedal and then flip the switch back and the car starts running again and phoof flames.  This is brutal to your motor as the gas washes the cylinders and you have to change your oil frequently.  Still won't stop the fact that you are killing your motor.
All these still include the basic set up of an extra coil or 2, spark plugs in the exhaust pipe, etc.....

Next you have what you call active ignition which is where you have the basic setup but you also have a way to mist or inject raw fuel into the exhaust pipe just prior to where the plug sits.  Flip the switch, fuel sprays and spark plug ignites, phoof bigger flames.  But that is like having a bomb back there if something were to ever go wrong and the fuel keeps spraying or the plugs won't shut off with the fuel spraying, etc.....
I wouldn't even think of having this setup unless I had an aircraft type E-handle extinguisher system in place.  Too much money to set that one up.  

Then there is something like what i'm doing that does not shut down the motor and you rev the car up to about 3 grand and you get a little unburnt fuel in there and a bit of flame.  I'm thinking I can get a little more flame if I introduce a manual choke into the mix.  I figure I choke it off(kind of like a primer of sorts) and that will put more unburnt fuel to the rear and I should have a pretty good flame and be able to actually keep the flame going for a period of time by controlling the choke cable.

If you think about it, you could plumb anything into the exhaust to make the flames after you get some spark back there.  Propane, hairspray, gas, anything that will ignite, but like I said, I'm not going through all that trouble and expense that would be needed to make me feel comfy with that.

mikepmcs

Last night when I got home I continued to mount it with the harley coil we had planned on using.  I put my little buzz box on the rear rail, wired up the coil, secured it to the rear as well, put a couple wires on there and some plugs, started the car, flipped my switch and no spark. hmmm.  I had spark in the afternoon but with a different coil and better ground most likely.  I didn't work on the car today.  I will play with it tomorrow night after work and take the harley coil out and hook up my known good coil and known good wire, and see where i'm at from there.  I think I might have a grounding issue going on.  But I want to put the parts in there that I know worked when I had tested it on that impala earlier in the day on saturday.

Once I get spark back there, then I will figure out how to mount my manual choke and see how that goes. :think:
:coolgleamA:

dkn1997

I have a possible way to spark that baby for you... Hayward makes a pool heater with direct spark ignition.  the heater controlls are 24v ac, but the direct spark is 110v.  Not high draw at all.  the direct spark is basically a rod with some ceramic imbedded in it.  i'd bet a decent 12v to 110v inverter would power these up. they only draw about 3 amps.  no coils, no spark plugs...

I also have a direct spark ignitor on bbq, runs off a 9v battery.  I push the botton and it sparks very very fast automatically .
RECHRGED

bull

Might I suggest you add one of these to your shopping list?

mikepmcs

Quote from: dkn1997 on June 28, 2009, 10:43:37 PM
I have a possible way to spark that baby for you... Hayward makes a pool heater with direct spark ignition.  the heater controlls are 24v ac, but the direct spark is 110v.  Not high draw at all.  the direct spark is basically a rod with some ceramic imbedded in it.  i'd bet a decent 12v to 110v inverter would power these up. they only draw about 3 amps.  no coils, no spark plugs...

I also have a direct spark ignitor on bbq, runs off a 9v battery.  I push the botton and it sparks very very fast automatically .

Pool heater sounds like too much money but a great idea
The BBQ ignition deal sounds like a real good idea. :2thumbs:  How much are those things.

Anyway, I changed the coils and have spark continuously in the tail pipe with the car running and without(only on one side for now just to see if it worked)  I have yet to make a flame though. Not even a little bit as far as I can tell.  I angled a mirror and shut the lights out and revved it up and still nothing.  Here are a couple pictures of the spark.  It appears to be a nice blue spark and not weak.  I have no idea what the issue is except that the spark will not ignite the fumes and needs more raw fuel I guess.  I haven't put my choke on yet to see if I can get it to prime the exhaust with more. I don't even know if that will work, it just sounded like a good idea.

I have an extinguisher at the ready Curtis. :2thumbs:

Foreman72

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 29, 2009, 09:07:10 PM

How much are those things.

go to a sears parts store...14 bucks...my brother buys them for his potato cannons...
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

mikepmcs

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

dkn1997

Quote from: Foreman72 on June 29, 2009, 09:35:15 PM

go to a sears parts store...14 bucks...my brother buys them for his potato cannons...

I think the one you are talking about is a single spark when you push the button.  my old thermos stainless steel bbq has one that has a 9v battery and sparks continuousely until you let off the button.
RECHRGED

Foreman72

Quote from: dkn1997 on June 30, 2009, 08:08:13 AM
Quote from: Foreman72 on June 29, 2009, 09:35:15 PM

I think the one you are talking about is a single spark when you push the button.  my old thermos stainless steel bbq has one that has a 9v battery and sparks continuousely until you let off the button.

aha...that would make much more sense for this opperation... :icon_smile_big:
Eric "Foreman"