News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is wrong with this restoration? eBay '68 XP 4-speed w/A/C

Started by Dans 68, June 25, 2009, 12:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

Gentlemen,

Please tell me what you believe to be wrong on this restoration http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RESTORED-DOCUMENTED-MATCH-383HP-RARE-A-C-4-SPEED_W0QQitemZ280355182199QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item4146789677&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A317|240%3A1318. This car has been on the market before and discussed with regards to it's A/C, but with regards to it's overall restoration I don't know.

At first glance the battery is wrong, and the pedal dress-up is incorrect (was not available for the '68's). I'm sure I'll come up with more but right now I need to go out and make some money.... ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69bronzeT5

Shouldn't there be silver rings around the gauges like in '69 and '70?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

bull

Well the most glaring "mistake" is R/T stripes on a non-R/T car but I don't know if they were going for a stock restoration. I've thought about going with the chrome trimmed pedals and R/T stripes too but I'm not worried about originality in every detail. Maybe this guy feels the same.

Hansson

Sweden. Karlstad

Charger_Fan

Actually, the passenger door is '68...the driver's door is '69-'70.
The price tag is too high IMO, for as much non-original stuff as there is. Otherwise, the car looks pretty nice. :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Hansson

Sweden. Karlstad

bull

Quote from: Charger_Fan on June 25, 2009, 02:42:07 PM
Actually, the passenger door is '68...the driver's door is '69-'70.

Oh my, that's effed up. :rotz: That certainly makes it a 1 of 1. :2thumbs:

RAC95054

The paint on the interior of the doors appears to be green, but should be black, or so it appears to be that way in one of the pictures.  And yes, the gauge bezel and dash trim appears to have been just repainted black instead of having them replated and painted.  Nice catch on the two different doors!  :o

I don't think the antifreeze decal went on the fan shroud.  At least it for sure did not in '69.  The A/C compressor is missing the tag.  And is the pie pan correct?  Were they red in '68?   And the radiator looks like a replacement (hard to tell for sure).

If you look closely at pictures 12 anf 13, they have been hand edited (badly) to black out some spots.  Why??  Probably something not good, I would guess.

It does still appear to be a nice car, but way overpriced.  I'd say it's in the $35-$40K range, assuming it's as nice as it appears to be.

Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

Dans 68

Good catches, Guys.  :2thumbs: The exhaust tips are also non-XP. My "problem" with this car is it is advertised as a restored car, or as they advertise on eBay:  "RESTORED- DOCUMENTED- # MATCH 383HP- RARE A/C & 4 SPEED", and with Galen's name mentioned in the accompanying text lends originality to the car. I would love to get a look at the build sheet, but I probably wouldn't even get a reply. Keep the "irregularities" coming.  :yesnod:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

I had to ask the seller about the door situation and the answer was quite interesting (he seems fond of using all caps BTW):

"THE ORIGINAL OWNER HAD AN ARTIFICIAL LIMB - THE DEALERSHIP SWITCHED THE LOCK MECHANISM AND UPPER DOOR PAD FOR HIM - IF YOU BUY THE CAR, WE WILL OBTAIN THE PIECES TO SWITCH IT BACK FOR YOU"

RAC95054

Quote from: bull on June 25, 2009, 04:31:05 PM
I had to ask the seller about the door situation and the answer was quite interesting (he seems fond of using all caps BTW):

"THE ORIGINAL OWNER HAD AN ARTIFICIAL LIMB - THE DEALERSHIP SWITCHED THE LOCK MECHANISM AND UPPER DOOR PAD FOR HIM - IF YOU BUY THE CAR, WE WILL OBTAIN THE PIECES TO SWITCH IT BACK FOR YOU"

WTF??  And you think unlocking the door was the only mod needed for that?   ::)
Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

1charger69

anybody notice the rust holes in the floors and tranny mount in the pics???   exhaust pics ::)

charge-it

OH, OH, I better go out and remove the pedal dress up package I put on my 68 before I get ripped apart on here. No wait, I'm going to take it a step further, I'm going to add an R/T stripe on my non R/T 68 bullitt clone...Good catches though on all his pics. It's obvious the car isn't what he thinks or says it is...

Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

G-man

Sorry to ask but...

What the hell is the difference between the 2  doors? They look identicaly shaped to me on the exterior.

68 CHARGER R/T

it's the door lock on the upper pads they are in different locations for 68 and 69-70

six-tee-nine

I wondered something by looking at the pictures....
I tought shoulder belts as shown in the headliner picture were a 69 thing.  :shruggy:

Update me on this please somebody
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

G-man

Quote from: 68 CHARGER R/T on July 23, 2009, 02:46:04 AM
it's the door lock on the upper pads they are in different locations for 68 and 69-70

That explains my pass door is 69 then (on my 68 charger)... there is nothing inside to lock it with and when its closed u cant even open it from outside (definately secure :rofl:)

sorry to kinda be off topic.. do I find a 68 door somewhere or just drill a hole and get the latch that locks fixed and its same as 68...

PocketThunder

Quote from: G-man on July 23, 2009, 03:19:15 AM

That explains my pass door is 69 then (on my 68 charger)... there is nothing inside to lock it with and when its closed u cant even open it from outside (definately secure :rofl:)

sorry to kinda be off topic.. do I find a 68 door somewhere or just drill a hole and get the latch that locks fixed and its same as 68...

no, just drill a hole for the 68 location and get the latch that locks fixed.  I might have parts in one of my spare doors if i have any 68 doors left, you can have the parts.  but it will be another month before i see my parts stash.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparstuart on June 25, 2009, 01:16:07 PM
shifter

Depending on the build date, the shifter could be correct. Late in the '68 run, the transition to the Hurst shifter started.

Also, either way, the brake booster is incorrect for a drum or disc car.

Regardless, nice looking '68.. I wouldn't mind owning it...........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Skyview69

Quote from: 1charger69 on July 22, 2009, 03:08:45 PM
anybody notice the rust holes in the floors and tranny mount in the pics???   exhaust pics ::)

Stay away from that car.  Look at the holes - and why did they black out the rest of the picture  :shruggy:

Something really wrong

Charger_Fan

Wow, good eye. I didn't see those holes before...definitely some questionable stuff going on in that pic, I'd say.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Skyview69

I also just noticed...look at the U-joint and yoke area....that has been 'blacked out' as well :scratchchin:

G-man

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 23, 2009, 08:56:43 AM
Quote from: G-man on July 23, 2009, 03:19:15 AM

no, just drill a hole for the 68 location and get the latch that locks fixed.  I might have parts in one of my spare doors if i have any 68 doors left, you can have the parts.  but it will be another month before i see my parts stash.

Wow, THANKS!

RamchargerMopar

is the exhaust pipe rubbing on the drive shaft? what ever the exhaust looks like a hack job and for the asking price I would expect better... :shruggy:
Mopar or No Car!