News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

904 trans....How many places can this thing Leak at!!

Started by AmadeusCharger500, June 23, 2009, 05:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I must have had multiple leaks. I stopped one at the speedo cable with a new o-ring and one around the gasket but now it seems to be coming from around the throttle pressure linkage.

Is that even possible? There is also a screw above the foreward trans line that looks suspect.

Any help would be great. It really leaves a puddle.

John_Kunkel

There are two seals at the shift shaft, the larger outer one is in the case and leaks there are pretty common, the smaller one is inside the shift shaft and seals the throttle shaft. They can be replaced without removing the valve body but it's best to remove the VB IMHO.

The nut and stud above the front cooler line is the kickdown band adjuster, this seldom leaks but can. A drain plug gasket or a little RTV under the nut should stop it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AmadeusCharger500

Best to replace both? Can they be done without dropping the trans? And if I still got your attention... what is the name of the seal/part so I know what Im asking for at the parts store or online.

Thanks Once again John

ACUDANUT

Let me know if that works.  Every single one of my automatic's including the 727's leak bad.  :brickwall: :flame:

AmadeusCharger500

Yes I went through the same thing with a 727....But with Johns Help I actually got that one totally dry.

AmadeusCharger500

Any tricks to replacing those seals? I just recieved both in the mail. Pan is drained (yeah right) and Im about to lower the valve body. Do the seals come out from above or inside the case?

John_Kunkel

The seal in the case is driven out from below, it fits into a recess in the top of the case. A couple of large washers and a nut/bolt can be used to pull it into place.

The smaller shaft inside the valve body shift shaft is retained by an "e" clip, remove the clip and washer to expose the inner seal. Don't push down on the inner shaft while the clip is removed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AmadeusCharger500

Does the valve body just drop down? Or do I need to remove somethin first? Pretty sure I remember a spring is held in under there also. Just don't wanna screw this up.
Typing this while its still draining. ::)

RD

the spring is located in between the valve body and the accumulator piston (<---- lies in between the front and rear servos).  once you remove the ten 7/16" bolts and have the shifter lever and throttle pressure lever removed from the selector shaft, you will be able to drop the valve body.

remember the parking brake rod is still attached.  so you will have to pull down and towards the front of the engine to get the rod unseated in the parking brake mechanism.

if you cannot remove the PB rod, just disconnect it from the valve body as it is held on only by an E-Clip.  It (in most cases) will just slide out then.

hope this helps.

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

AmadeusCharger500

So thats the e-clip John was talkin about. Need to remove that before the valve body comes down!

RD

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on September 19, 2009, 06:57:33 PM
So thats the e-clip John was talkin about. Need to remove that before the valve body comes down!

no no no no!!!

there is an actual E-Clip in the valve body shift shaft that he was talking about, NOT the parking brake rod E-Clip.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

AmadeusCharger500

Welll I got both seals changed, Yeah ;D. Had small trouble gettin the e-clip back on the valve body but other than that it was surpsingly easy. Time consuming but easy. However either im just tired or I'm doin somethin wrong but the damn Shifter lever is giving me a bitch of  time trying to get it back on the shift tower.

Never mind I got it all is back together thanks so much! Now to see if I fixed the leak.