News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Fender Scoops attaching hardware

Started by 70Bird, June 14, 2009, 11:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Bird

Trying to find out the correct bolts for these fender scoops. I have 1 3/4" shafts with a nut that has a attached washer.
Greatly appreciated. 

nascarxx29

Did you try Dave Patik at Performance car graphics 850-878-1450 /CarGraphix@aol.com.They carry unique wingcar hardware
http://www.performancecargraphics.com/Winged_Car_Stuff/Hardware.htm
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Arnie Cunningham

Greetings,

An almost identical stud to those used in the fender scoops was used in (if I remember this right) some A body taillight bezels.  The length and diameter is perfect.  The only difference is that the A body studs have an unthreaded nipple on one end whereas the bird hardware is threaded all the way to the end - like threaded rod available at hardware stores.  If you turn the nipple end into the scoop, it will appear as factory from inside the fenderwell.

The nut and washer combo is used all over the car - I think it is the same as the throttle cable bracket nut.  The Byron Fettig/Dave Wise hardware book covers almost everything on the cars but does not include Superbird only items.  If you clean off the road crud from the nuts you will probably find one or two small slots on the nut itself.  These markings will help you find similar hardware on a C body or ??

Hope that helps,
Brennan R. Cook
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

70Bird

Hi Brennan,   Thanks for the info on the fender scoop hardware.  I looked into Dave Wise's handbook, he has put together a nice restoration guide for B bodies. I had heard of a book on fasteners but never knew the author. While looking at his web site, I found a link to AMK Products. In their catalogue, I found what looks like exact nut plus retainer clips. These clips are used in quite a few places on the nose cone. Placed a order today will see how they match up to the originals.

Back to the fender scoop studs, so what I have is correct. Will have to try to clean them up.

John

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on June 21, 2009, 07:01:19 PM
Greetings,

An almost identical stud to those used in the fender scoops was used in (if I remember this right) some A body taillight bezels.  The length and diameter is perfect.  The only difference is that the A body studs have an unthreaded nipple on one end whereas the bird hardware is threaded all the way to the end - like threaded rod available at hardware stores.  If you turn the nipple end into the scoop, it will appear as factory from inside the fenderwell.

The nut and washer combo is used all over the car - I think it is the same as the throttle cable bracket nut.  The Byron Fettig/Dave Wise hardware book covers almost everything on the cars but does not include Superbird only items.  If you clean off the road crud from the nuts you will probably find one or two small slots on the nut itself.  These markings will help you find similar hardware on a C body or ??

Hope that helps,
Brennan R. Cook

There are a lot of fastener errors in that book (a lot of engine fastener info was observed using C-Bodies etc.) so proceed with caution - and use your own cars original hardware as a guide if you can.