News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Loss of power after water pump failure

Started by W4ATL, June 22, 2009, 02:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W4ATL

I have a '68 440 that blew the water pump. I didn't think then engine got hot before stopping but after replacing the pump the engine is sluggish when taking off from a stop.  I might have a head gasket or head issue now.  Would it be safe to carefully drive about 30 miles to my mechanic or tow it?

Ghoste

If it were my car and I wasn't sure, I'd shell out for the tow job.  If there is a problem 30 miles is far enough to make things a whole lot worse. :Twocents:

lisiecki1

+1 on the above.

If you absolutely have to drive it to the mechanic make sure you have accurate water temp and oil pressure gauges and watch them like a hawk while on the road.....and carry a couple of gallons of water with you, just in case.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

W4ATL

Thanks. I've come to the conclusion that the tow charge is cheaper than ruining the engine any further.  The tow truck will be here in about an hour to take it to the shop.

W4ATL

Wasn't bad after all. Just a bad accelerator pump.  Just a coincidence I guess.