News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need some opinions pretty quick...

Started by SmashingPunkFan, June 22, 2009, 12:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmashingPunkFan

I have an opportunity to buy a 1970 Charger, and I need a few opinions on what you guy's might think it is worth.

Car is coming with:

#1: is originally a 318 automatic car with vinyl top, but is coming with a 440, and a 4 speed manuel (both out of the car) at additional cost. (engine said to be running when it was pulled)
#2: Has some rust, will most likely need rear floor pans replaced, and front ones suggested can be fixed with some patches.
#3: Has center console, dash, after market steering wheel, gages, door panels (front and back), all glass (original? I don't know), and back bench seat.
#4:Frame rails said to be ok.
#5: Has 8 3/4 rear end

What is missing is, the grill (completely), carb, and front bucket seats...

What I don't know yet is, maybe missing radiator, and possibly other things...

Seller is asking $3000 for the Charger rolling shell.  He wants $1500 for the 440 engine & 4 speed tranny if I give him the $3k he's asking for the body.  How does that sound? good deal? or not?  $4500 package deal. Need feedback asap please.
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

jaak

Hard to tell without pics, but it sounds like a decent deal. With the 4 speed, are you getting everything you need? 4 speed stuff is expensive, Id make sure Id get the pedals, bellhousing, shifter/linkage, all clutch linkage. Keep us informed and post pics of you can.

good luck,
Jason

268RTs4ME

Don't jump on the first one you see, there are a lot of good buys out there, however for the money i think it is a little too high, I myself would shop around a little, whatever you purchase you are gonna have alot of work and expense going into it, i am sure for about 5 or 6 grand you can buy a prrety nice driving complete car, where you are not looking all over hs half acre for unresonably price parts. Look around check out the autos for sale on dodgecharger.com,  moparts, my mopar, dodgecoronet registry, znd mopar style, just to name a few, there are alot of em out there.

skip68

A pretty nice driving complete 1970 Dodge Charger for 5-6k is not going to happen.  Sorry 268RTs4ME.   :cheers:  Even in todays market that just won't happen.   It's possible but not likely.  5-6k will get you a solid roller or a complete car needing full restoration.   Any pretty nice running , driving and complete 68-70 Charger for 5 to 6k is going to be a bondo bucket.   :scratchchin:   I don't even think you could get a bondo bucket that was a driver for that price.   Again, not trying to start anything with you 268RTs.    :cheers: :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

skip68

Oh, like 268RTS4me said "Don't jump on the first one you see".   :yesnod:   Look around and post pictures here so others can help you to see what you are getting into.   Good luck.    Chuck...........
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

268RTs4ME

no offense taken , I wasn't suggesting he could buy a 68-70 charger for 5 or 6 grand, my meaning was to shop around,purchasing a roll around 381 car is his business for $3000.00 and 1500.00 for 440 and trans, that adds up to $4,500.00 to me, I was simply suggesting that he look around at what is out there, here is a good example if ur into 73 s  330338724837 on ebay motors, this is a nice ride. :cheers:

SmashingPunkFan

Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Projects:

chargerman67

Doesn't sound like a "steal".  but its an ok price.  :shruggy:
67 Dodge Charger 440
87 Toyota Supra 2.5L twin turbo (JDM)
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

SmashingPunkFan

I mean, does anyone think it's an okay deal? or do you think I could find a better one?
I just need honest opinions
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Ok, it has front buckets, fuel tank, all glass.

4 speed has NO bellhousing, NO pedals, NO 4 speed shifter (Only the old automatic set up), NO shifter linkage, NO mounts, and NO torque converter...

What all would I need to complete a 4 speed set up? and how much would you think it'd cost?

Does this seem like a normal thing?, I mean I understand if he doesn't have the rest of these parts to complete the 4 speed,
Or do you think he's separating them to make more money??? :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

???
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

???
Projects:

tan top

:scratchchin: looks like its a SE or someone has swapped the interior stuff years ago ... :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

chargerman67

Again I think it is an OK price. Its more work than I would want for the price though.
67 Dodge Charger 440
87 Toyota Supra 2.5L twin turbo (JDM)
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

SmashingPunkFan

Ok, I want to thank you guys again for all opinions, that's why I'm asking here first.

What all would I need to complete a 4 speed manuel?
Projects:

jaak

Four speed conversion...you need
Bellhousing, flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pedals, firewall bracket for pedal, pedal rod and boot, torque shaft, torque shaft kit (pivots, bushings, seals, etc.), fork and boot, fork linkage, fork spring, shifter, shifter handle, shifter rods, floor hump, plus all the little clips/washers/hardware to put it all together.

Brewers has a kit, in which you get everything including a rebuilt 833, for around $3500, probably be the easiest way to go.

As for me personally, with the pics, and description you gave...I would probably pass on it. It looks restorable, but it will take ALOT of TIME and MONEY before it will be done. I know alot of folks are hung up on 2nd Gen Chargers... but I bought a nice solid, running, driving '73 Rallye 360, 4 speed, with new interior for a little over 3K and am enjoying the heck out of it.

Jason

GreenMachine

I think the engine/tranny is overpriced. That looks to be a 1973-up Truck engine, so you'll need a center sump oil pan, l/h outlet water pump housing, & not sure if the manifolds will work or not. I would pass on that, the car seems fairly priced but I'd try and talk him down.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: tan top on June 25, 2009, 02:36:08 AM
:scratchchin: looks like its a SE or someone has swapped the interior stuff years ago ... :scratchchin:

I just found out, it's an SE Charger, how much does that increase/ decrease (if any) the value of a Charger?

Thanks,
Shaun.
Projects:

268RTs4ME

Check this one out on e bag, drop you a 440 in it, and your go with the wind E bay motors 330338724837.... Nice Car for the money,  thats my opinion..

bull

Quote from: GreenMachine on June 26, 2009, 11:39:28 PM
  I think the engine/tranny is overpriced. That looks to be a 1973-up Truck engine, so you'll need a center sump oil pan, l/h outlet water pump housing, & not sure if the manifolds will work or not. I would pass on that, the car seems fairly priced but I'd try and talk him down.

I agree. IMO I wouldn't mess with the engine because you don't know what shape it's in. It could have a crack between the cylinders, a spun main, who knows? And I wouldn't mess trying to swap it to 4 speed either but that's just me because there are lots of 70s out there with 4 speeds.

So $3k for a rolling shell? Eh, maybe. It's not a horrible price but it depends on how solid it is. If there's no cancer it's an awesome price, if there is than it's not. :shruggy:

SmashingPunkFan

I got it, I think I'm gonna be very happy with this for my 70.  ;D ;D ;D
I know there are probably better deals out there, but I wasn't look for the steal of a life time, just something to build on.

Thanks for all of your help DodgeCharger.com;) :cheers: :popcrn:
Projects:

b5blue

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: jaak on June 26, 2009, 06:25:03 PM
Four speed conversion...you need
Bellhousing, flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pedals, firewall bracket for pedal, pedal rod and boot, torque shaft, torque shaft kit (pivots, bushings, seals, etc.), fork and boot, fork linkage, fork spring, shifter, shifter handle, shifter rods, floor hump, plus all the little clips/washers/hardware to put it all together.

Brewers has a kit, in which you get everything including a rebuilt 833, for around $3500, probably be the easiest way to go.

As for me personally, with the pics, and description you gave...I would probably pass on it. It looks restorable, but it will take ALOT of TIME and MONEY before it will be done. I know alot of folks are hung up on 2nd Gen Chargers... but I bought a nice solid, running, driving '73 Rallye 360, 4 speed, with new interior for a little over 3K and am enjoying the heck out of it.

Jason

Hey where's Brewers, and how can I get some more detailed info on this?
Cause, I really think it's the way I want to go.

Thanks again guys!
Projects:

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.