News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Repro Black CA Charger plates on ebay.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, June 20, 2009, 12:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

68charger383

That is pretty cool.

Starting 7/1/09, DMV is allowing pre-70 owners to put a set of black plates back on our cars.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

69 OUR/TEA

Rob,forgot your car was from cali,did'nt it have the plate on it when you got it???They are supposed to stay with the car.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 20, 2009, 01:01:03 PM
Rob,forgot your car was from cali,did'nt it have the plate on it when you got it???They are supposed to stay with the car.
Yeah but it was a newer style as he just registered it.  Why do they stay with the car?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

dukeboy320

Massively Over Powerd And Respected

69 OUR/TEA

From what I gathered from doing research on  Cal cars plates ,the plate stays with the car,owner changes,plate stays.Even if you get a personalized plate it stays.Black plates (yellow letters)were issued from 1963-1970,then in mid 1970 they changed to blue plates with yellow letters.If you had black plates on your car,they stayed until you sold the vehicle,at which time the new owner would be issued new plates(blue w/yellow letters)but would retain the orig plates numbers/letters.
The big to do about black plate cars is that if you find a black plate car,from what I gather,it has had the same owner from at least 1970 and down, if you remember when I bought my black car it was described as one owner.It came from cali in 03,never registered again here until me.

1969chargerrtse

You have to be floating in the sky with that car?  Wow a triple black loaded CA car with black plates. Mama mia. :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:

68charger383

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 20, 2009, 01:23:52 PM
From what I gathered from doing research on  Cal cars plates ,the plate stays with the car,owner changes,plate stays.Even if you get a personalized plate it stays.Black plates (yellow letters)were issued from 1963-1970,then in mid 1970 they changed to blue plates with yellow letters.If you had black plates on your car,they stayed until you sold the vehicle,at which time the new owner would be issued new plates(blue w/yellow letters)but would retain the orig plates numbers/letters.
The big to do about black plate cars is that if you find a black plate car,from what I gather,it has had the same owner from at least 1970 and down, if you remember when I bought my black car it was described as one owner.It came from cali in 03,never registered again here until me.
Black plates were issued from 1963 until late 1969. Then they went to blue.

Plates stay with car not owner, but if you take it off the road/inop you would turn in the plates. If car was then re-registered, you would get the current plate being offered unless you could prove you had black plates on car before (dmv docs) and currently had both plates.

If car has Black plates, it showed car was bought in or reg. in CA continually since at least 1969. Could have bought a 66 charger in Texas and brought it to CA in 69 and got black plate. However, they were issued alphabetically so the 66 should have a plate starting with M, N, O and if it has a X, Y, Z, it would show it came into the state later on.

However, starting 7/1/09, all 1969 and older cars can get the black plate. Harder to tell what car is original CA black plate car or just got one unless you have the DMV paperwork going back.

I'm gearing up to hit DMV on 7/1/09 to get my Black plates officially on my car. (driving with one illegally on the front right now) I think the black & yellow plates just make the car look better than with the newer plates.

http://www.vintagesportscars.com/californiablackplatecar.html
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

BB1

My old Black plates where YOZ 803 69 Charger.

Anyone Anyone, If you have a picture of it let me know.
Delete my profile

bull

There are several businesses that restore license plates if you have a set of originals that can be reissued.

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: 68charger383 on June 20, 2009, 03:39:27 PM
Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 20, 2009, 01:23:52 PM
Black plates were issued from 1963 until late 1969. Then they went to blue.

Plates stay with car not owner, but if you take it off the road/inop you would turn in the plates. If car was then re-registered, you would get the current plate being offered unless you could prove you had black plates on car before (dmv docs) and currently had both plates.

If car has Black plates, it showed car was bought in or reg. in CA continually since at least 1969. Could have bought a 66 charger in Texas and brought it to CA in 69 and got black plate. However, they were issued alphabetically so the 66 should have a plate starting with M, N, O and if it has a X, Y, Z, it would show it came into the state later on.

However, starting 7/1/09, all 1969 and older cars can get the black plate. Harder to tell what car is original CA black plate car or just got one unless you have the DMV paperwork going back.

I'm gearing up to hit DMV on 7/1/09 to get my Black plates officially on my car. (driving with one illegally on the front right now) I think the black & yellow plates just make the car look better than with the newer plates.

http://www.vintagesportscars.com/californiablackplatecar.html

68charger383,if a plate starting with x,y,or z is a later plate,why would there be a 63 stamped in mine,thought it was the year this plate was issued????And for that fact,how did it make its way onto my 69,should'nt it have still been on the car it was originally issued to???And lastly,my car might not be originally sold new in  cali as it does'nt show the signs of a california designated car,no turn downs and dual snorkel air cleaner,and when I looked up the owners name for past locations ,it shows texas then all cali after that,so going by the plate he had to bring it to cali in 69 to have gotten a black plate,and with my build being oct 68,could have bought it new in texas and moved there right after.
Rob,did'nt mean to hijack your thread BTW.

68charger383

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 20, 2009, 09:56:11 PM
68charger383,if a plate starting with x,y,or z is a later plate,why would there be a 63 stamped in mine,thought it was the year this plate was issued???
And for that fact,how did it make its way onto my 69,shouldn't it have still been on the car it was originally issued to???And lastly,my car might not be originally sold new in  cali as it doesn't show the signs of a California designated car,no turn downs and dual snorkel air cleaner,and when I looked up the owners name for past locations ,it shows Texas then all Cali after that,so going by the plate he had to bring it to Cali in 69 to have gotten a black plate,and with my build being Oct 68,could have bought it new in Texas and moved there right after.
Rob,didn't mean to hijack your thread BTW.

All CA black plates (63-69) have 1963 stamped in the right corner (It is just the first year they were issued)

As noted on the website I had linked previously, you could still have a black plate on your car if you didn't buy it in CA. You just had to come to CA and register the car before 1970. Ex. If you had a 66 car with a black plate, it might be obvious that it was not an original car by the first letter on the plate not being one issued on a 1966 car.

See, I would have never guessed your car was not an original CA car since the plate is correct for the year of the car. It starts with "X" which was proper for a 1969 car.

Rob is dead on: Triple black 69 R/T with CA black plates is the tri-fecta of desirable cars

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10