News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 Block ID Please

Started by Moparmatty, June 18, 2009, 05:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparmatty

Is there enough info in the following picture to ID what car this 383 block I have is out of?
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

maxwellwedge

71 LA built car - stuff missing - not stamped properly. I know they made A-Bodies and E-Bodies there, we know there were no B-Block A-Bodies after 69. Will have to check what else they made there. What is on the top pad?

bull

That looks way too clean... and wrong. I'd say someone milled that pad and restamped it.

Moparmatty

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 18, 2009, 06:25:32 PM
71 LA built car - stuff missing - not stamped properly. I know they made A-Bodies and E-Bodies there, we know there were no B-Block A-Bodies after 69. Will have to check what else they made there. What is on the top pad?

Is there a top pad on the B blocks like the RB blocks have Jim?
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

Moparmatty

Quote from: bull on June 18, 2009, 06:39:47 PM
That looks way too clean... and wrong. I'd say someone milled that pad and restamped it.

It has not been restamped.  The engine had never been a part when I got the complete engine, at a minimum of ten years ago.  I do know that the car that I got it in was from California and an original California car.  I might have the matching tranny here to.  It was buried way too deep in the parts room to get a look at it today.
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Moparmatty on June 18, 2009, 07:47:43 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 18, 2009, 06:25:32 PM

Is there a top pad on the B blocks like the RB blocks have Jim?

Yup - It's up top but not in the exact location as an RB.

Moparmatty

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 18, 2009, 08:12:06 PM
Yup - It's up top but not in the exact location as an RB.

I'll have to dig it back out and have a look see.
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

ChgrSteve67

Is the first picture supose to be the VIN number on the side of the block just above the oil pan?

Moparmatty

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on June 18, 2009, 11:03:01 PM
Is the first picture supose to be the VIN number on the side of the block just above the oil pan?

Yes.  It's missing the first five digits and the ninth digit.
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

ChgrSteve67

You need the first 4 so I would say no way of knowing

John_Kunkel

Except for '69, most blocks didn't get stamped with a full VIN, only a partial VIN composed of the last eight characters.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.