News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Header Collector Gaskets

Started by bordin34, June 17, 2009, 06:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

I am replacing my header collector gaskets and don't know which ones to use, aluminum, copper, paper, or other ones. I think some gaskets came with the car, they look like a kinda thickish piece of aluminum, or those good?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

c00nhunterjoe

copper is the best (imo) but paper works ok and is cheap

Ghoste

I've had the same set of copper ones in my car for some time now and they've been great.  Go to the drags, open the headers and then bolt the exhaust backup for the trip home.  A couple of times I've taken them out and knocked a bit of bead back into them but they've worked fine.

mauve66

aluminum works just like copper
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

TexasStroker

Copper isn't bad, but I prefer Percy's Dead Soft Aluminum.  Really nice stuff, no leaks, and very long life (haven't replaced them yet!).  They also make the best header gaskets should you ever have to upgrade.

Best part is some chain part stores carry Percy's or can order them in for the same ball park price of Summit/Jegs but with no freight!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

bordin34

So I managed to find two paper gaskets and one aluminum in my spare parts box. Do you think putting two paper on one side and the aluminum on the other would work or should I do only one paper on one and aluminum on the other? Also, where can I get 6 3/8" Stainless Nuts and Bolts. The bolts I removed were rusted and bent and I sheered the head off of one.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

TexasStroker

Not able to spec out an exact local in NJ, but any hardware store or better yet a bolt supplier should have the 3/8-16 in stainless. If you don't want to be back under the car or don't want to drive with the exhaust leak I'd get new gaskets, come as a pair, and be done with it.  You'll likely just burn the paper ones up and have to get a new set when that happens anyway.  If nothing else just spend the $10 and have copper ones from the parts store.

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!