News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need help with transmission capatibility

Started by irishluck, June 15, 2009, 02:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishluck

i have a 73 charger with a 318 engine
no tranny
need to know what trasmission will mount up to this
help please?

ChargersETC..ETC..

318 could take a 904 or 727 automatic .

Or the engine could be set up for a manual trans.

What year is the 318 engine ? It could be a 73 block or someone could have swapped it for a newer or older 318.
Add some more info about the car or the block to know what your options are. What rearend and drivelines in the car?
If you install the wrong trans your driveline may not fit .

It may take awhile but you'll figure out what the factory had the car set up for .

Ghoste

But not just any 727 as they were made for both big and smallblock engines and there were a lot more of the 727's installed on the bigblocks.  So if you find a 727 someplace check it before you buy.  ;)

flyinlow

My 73 charger came with a 904 behind the 318,small ujoint driveshaft and a 8 1/4 axle.

904's are lighter and geared lower in first gear 2.77 vs 2.45 for the 727.  They are shorter and have a smaller output shaft.

If you go with the 904 and need a driveshaft PM me.

irishluck

i have a 73 charger and from what i know its the original 318 engine
its a 318 small block
have no drive shaft for it
um i dont knwo what kind of rear end it has or drive line cause i dont know what the difference is lol
like i said im very knew at this, this is my first old car i have goten and im wanting to get into this so need a little help ha

flyinlow

8 1/4 axle has a removable cover on the back. 10 bolts in a circl

either a 904 or a small block 727 will work . If you are going to up the power of the 318 or drive it hard I would go for the 727.

carolina charger

I'd seriously consider use a 833 4 speed behind the 318.

irishluck

so for power
use a 727 if i want automatic
or a 833 if i want a manual
right

Ghoste

Yes.  Well you could use one of those Tremec5 or 6 speed setups too but you'll need to bring more money.

irishluck