News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Creative didn't Build All The Real Daytonas...

Started by hemiviper588, June 17, 2009, 02:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemiviper588

Has anyone heard about the 25 or so 69 Daytonas that were jobbed out by Creative Industries because they couldn't complete all the builds on time? A friend worked at Bankas Collision in Detroit (very close to Creative) several years after they were built, he said they still had the take-off sheetmetal in storage in various colors. Maybe this is old news... just thought I would ask.

Aero426

With Creative being the contractor that had a deadline to meet, it's possible they could have jobbed out some labor.    If they did so, Creative would still sign off on the car as making the modifications.   

nascarxx29

From what I heard they jobbed out to work to Bankas collision .And the place I discovered Hackett brass did daytona wings

http://www.hackettbrass.com/copro.htm
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemiviper588

I am going to visit Bankas to see if anyone has any memorys or documentation. Maybe they have some stray build sheets in a cabinet somewhere ... Sure...

nascarxx29

Give it a shot what do you got to lose .When I found the Hackett Brass place .They were contacted and the club recieved this letter
http://wwnboa.org/motw.htm
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

mauve66

cool history and nice of him write that letter back
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Aero426

Question.    How far is Bankas Collision relative to the Ten Mile Rd Creative facility?    My understanding is they are not very close.    Ten Mile is where the Daytonas were done.   

Old Moparz

If you do get to go to Bankas & see any extra Daytonas parked around there that they never shipped, get some pics.  :cheers:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

PocketThunder

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 17, 2009, 05:09:21 PM
Give it a shot what do you got to lose .When I found the Hackett Brass place .They were contacted and the club recieved this letter
http://wwnboa.org/motw.htm

How cool is that!   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste

Unless they were in a different location in 1969 Bankas place isn't all that far from Creative.  Roughly halfway between where the building Creative used still stands and where Dodge Main used to be in Hamtramck.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on June 18, 2009, 10:11:47 AM
Unless they were in a different location in 1969 Bankas place isn't all that far from Creative.  Roughly halfway between where the building Creative used still stands and where Dodge Main used to be in Hamtramck.

Are you talking about Creative on 10 mile, or on Outer Drive?    Isn't Bankas something like 7 miles from the 10 mile building?   

Ghoste

10 Mile.  Bankas are on 7 Mile today I believe but it could still be a ten mile drive from one to the other.   :lol:

hemiviper588

I found one, looks like it has been sitting for a while....

hemiviper588

Dam! It's a Hemi Car!!

hemiviper588

Bankas did a lot of "spillover" work that Creative couldn't handle...even in the 80's thay did some paint work for Chrysler that was billed through Creative Industries.

69*F5*SE

10 mile rd./Gratiot rd. and such are my stomping grounds around here. Not sure where Creative is though.

Ghoste

The building still stands in the 13,000 block (13,6something?) East (corner of 10 Mile and Brittany?) and last time I was by it was being used by a business called Active Foam Products.

69*F5*SE

Active foam Products looks and sounds familiar.  I need to take a drive and do some searching.

Ghoste

I'm sure I posted pics of the way it looks today on the site at one time or another but I sure can't recall the thread.

Update:

Here-
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28410.0/all.html

and here-
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52304.0.html

Does that look more familiar?

69*F5*SE

Oh my God yes, that place is about 2 minutes from my house.  I shop at the party store across the street from there. I knew it looked familiar.  That's so cool.   Thanks for posting the links. 

PocketThunder

Just a side question.  Why are the roads called 10 mile road, and 7 mile road, etc... besides the obvious that they are all 1 mile apart, is there any other reason?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69*F5*SE

I really don't know that answer.  Maybe Ghoste can help with that one.

FJMG

The roads run approx. E-W and are #'d according to the distance from somewhere in detroit (not sure exactly which street is mile "0"). Hence 10 mile road runs E-W aprox. 10 miles north of Detroit.

Ghoste

If you look at a map of Detroit, it seemed to lay itself out like a giant wheel (how appropriate) with spokes running from the downtown hub.  The "Mile" roads intersect the spokes and hold the wheel image in place.  Think of them as different size tires  :-\?
Why they named them that I have no idea, convenience I suppose, just like a lot of the sideroads in the rural areas will be 2nd concession, 3rd concession and so on.  It's common enough, look in a lot of other major cities (Manhatten) and you'll see a series of parallel streets with a consecutive number pattern.  My guess is that in Detroit's case they just laid them out a mile apart and the name followed?

hemiviper588

I would assume that the cars converted at Bankas would be the last few Daytonas built since they were time constrained. Has anyone noticed any build variations or quality differences on a late Vin car? Are there any unrestored late builds left that could document different details?