News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Better buy that new Charger or Challenger NOW.

Started by Kevin68N71, June 24, 2009, 02:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sublime69

Quote from: Ghoste on June 25, 2009, 06:48:10 PM
If it's all the unions fault, why isn't Mercedes failing?  (just as an example)

Because it isn't all the unions fault.

The fault is directly related to corporate decision. Top management are the ones that agree to what many percieve as "ridiculous" union contracts. But, are they really any more ridiculous than the senators and congress we elect that recieves FULL pension and benefits after only 4 years of "service" VS 25 or 30 years of a union workers service?

The same corporate decisions that have put 1000's of non-union jobs out on the street while the average CEO's salary has increased over 400% since 1980.

Unions are a very good thing IF the company has strong management. Unions don't control the company, the company controls the company. If they allow unions to walk all over them, then so be it if they fail, which I don't think is the reason in this case of GM and Chrysler. Bad management is dwindling these two iconic companies into the ground. Some of the union philosophy does'nt help the matter but they aren't the forcing hand behind what's crumbling GM and Chrysler.
1969 Charger 440
1968 Satellite 318 Future Road Runner Clone
1989 Diplomat Ex-Cop Car Winter Beater
1985 Chevy C-10 400 SB Winter Project
2004 Honda Civic Daily Driver

Ghoste

That's pretty much my opinion as well.  Contrary to what many of my posts would indicate, I'm not exactly what you would call a union supporter.  But I do believe in placing blame where it belongs and in a lot of what is happening in the American auto industry blaming it on one party or the other is just waaaaaaaaay too simplistic and foolishly naive.
My honest feeling is that it is an incredibly complex situation that everyone from President Obama down to welfare recipients without the ability to buy a car are underestimating.  We are playing this economic question like a bunch of armchair quarterbacks and barstool umpires.  Everyone has a small part of the overall answer and I only hope it comes together quickly.  :shruggy:

Sublime69

Exactly, I'm not a full fledged union supporter either. Unions have pushed jobs overseas, so has corporate greed.

The way I see it, the corporate greed always comes out more rewarded financially than a guy protesting to keep his 50K a year job assembling cars.

I've had  to visit plants where strikes were going on, I didn't like it and most of the time I didn't understand why they were striking, I mean, come one you still have your job. What I hear over and over though is "unions are killing the big 3". I just don't believe that. There's just too much "management" getting in the way of these companies not to mention the government sticking their nose into their business BEFORE they even took any bailout money.

All I know is I'm glad Chrysler has reverted to offering rear wheel drive, V8 cars and I hope they continue to do so while satisfying the "green" psycho's out there (because I do like having the option between a eco-box or a muscle car). Just make some money for youselves and quit being so damn greedy, all of you (Chrysler and GM, not you guys).
1969 Charger 440
1968 Satellite 318 Future Road Runner Clone
1989 Diplomat Ex-Cop Car Winter Beater
1985 Chevy C-10 400 SB Winter Project
2004 Honda Civic Daily Driver

TheGhost

The unions were just one nail in a heavily nailed coffin.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.