News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Completely clueless about Mopar dillema!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Armudster, June 16, 2009, 11:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armudster

Hello guys, I have a big dilemma, as some of you know I live in Brazil and will go to the USA next year to study at UNOH in Lima, Ohio, while I'm studying I'm also looking to find a nice 68 Charger project (my dream car BTW) that I will like to build it while at school, but I have a small problem, I'm having some problems with the car that I have right now, a 74 Brazilian model Dart, as it still needs some work done, and I'm beginning to have feelings for it, that is a big problem since I need to sell it in order to make it happen, I was thinking on building a strong 318 stroker, but everybody tells me thats a bad idea since I'm selling the car, but at the same time I get the feeling that I must see the car all done and in all its glory as I originally planned before I sell it, even if I lose money, I know I sound like a crazy guy, but thats why I'm asking you guys, I need help.Keep in mind my car doesn't have any tags watsoever and the original trans and engine are long gone and nowhere to be found, it's basically a solid car that have a tired engine, but need some bodywork, I am planning to do it, but am affraid of finding rust everywhere under the paint, keep in mind I have under 6 months to finish the car and then sell it, what do you think I should do? Rebuild the engine? Redo the bodywork? Or both? Just remember my ultimate goal is to come to the US to study and build a Charger the way I always dreamed, and when finished, bring the car with me to Brazil, how do you set your mind that you have to get rid of a car that you are starting to love just to get the one you always dreamt of? As you see, I'm in a tough crossroads here either I sell the Dart as is, or lose money restoring it further and risk my shot of a good education and my dream car, and even running the risk of attaching to it even further when done! Bellow are some pics of it. Any sugestions will be appreciated!!!

69bronzeT5

Well, if a '68 Charger is your dream car, then go for it! :cheers: I know what you mean about loving something but having to sell it to get something you've always dreamed of. I've wanted a cream colour Gibson Les Paul guitar for ages now, could of gotten one but it would of meant selling all my other guitars to buy it. I have alot of sentimental value in my guitars....what did I do? Well let me say...I have six guitars in my room but still no Les Paul ;) I know it's not a good example but just felt I should share. :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

skip68

Nice looking Dart.   :cheers:  I would sell it to buy my dream car in a second.   :yesnod:   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Sublime/Sixpack

With your ultimate goal in mind (schooling in USA and finding a '68 Charger) I wouldn't do anything major to the Dart, maybe take care of the small issues on it then sell it, no sense in losing money on the deal. :Twocents:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

WingCharger

You should also consider what you will do if you can't find a Charger while here in Ohio, or don't have time while at school to restore one. :yesnod:

That is a sweet Dart, and it looks solid. :drool5:

dodgecharger-fan

If you have a clear plan to reach your goal, follow your dream.

Think of the Dart as a means to an end. Separate it from your dream.

Think of it this way: If you were good at repairing vacuum cleaners, and you could buy old vacuum, fix them up and then sell them to fund the purchase of your dream car, you do it right?

So, your Dart needs to become a vacuum cleaner in your mind and in your heart.

Not to say that it is, but that's the mindset you need to be able to move on from the Dart and forward toward your goal of a 68 Charger.

I know, it's easier said than done, but if you can do it, decisions like this become a whole lot easier.

Best of luck with your dream and your education.

Rallye

I sold my Challenger so I could get my Charger.  I loved the Challenger, it was a fun beautiful car.  But my dream was the Charger and I don't regret selling the Challenger at all, because now I have my dream car.
I wouldn't be too concerned with spending a lot of money fixing up your Dart before selling it, because the new owner will most likely not want the same thing for the Dart as you do.  So you'll go to all the trouble to fix it up exactly the way you want, and then you'll see it later and be extremely bummed because the new owner painted it a funky color or converted it to four-wheel-drive or whatever.

I say keep your mind focused on your dream, and before you know it, you'll be cruisin' around Ohio in the ultimate '68 Charger.  :2thumbs: 
1972 Charger Rallye - 400magnum

Brock Samson

The less you spend on the Dart the better, the more you can sell it for the better, the more research you do to find a decent charger the better off you'll be, because if you find your dream charger and your a few dollars short, because you fixed up your dart you'll regret it,..
I understand the emotional attachment and wanting to fullfill your "vision" for the dart, but your moving up now and will need all your resources to tackle school and finding that very special and very expensive 2nd Gen Charger.
  My advice is,.. don't open too many fronts in your pursuit/s or you wont be able to bring your resources to focus when that/those special opportunity's do finally presents themselves.  :shruggy:

Armudster

Thank you all for the sugestions, I sure better move on to the next stage of life, it will be hard but  that's life, sacrifices need to be made sometimes, and I'm sure will love to have a 68 Charger and complete my education, and now its the time to do it, I plan to buy a Charger as soon as I sell the Dart even before I move over there, and the major I am taking (High Performance Motorsports Associate degree) has to do with messing around cars, so finding time to restore it won't be much of a problem, but I need answer to another question, based on the pictures of my Dart, do you find I need to mess with bodywork, or its all set in this department? Thanks again guys  :cheers:

69bronzeT5

I think you're all good on body condition based on pictures :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

69*F5*SE

Tilar

Probably the best advice I would give to anyone in any similar situation as you are in, regardless if it has to do with a car or with everyday life is this:

If what your heart tells you to do conflicts with what your head tells you to do, Always go with what your common sense tells you. Your heart will lead you astray where common sense "normally" won't.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

41husk

I will tell you I sold a 72 Charger R/t clone to buy my dream car 68 Charger.  After I got my 68 I missed the 3rd gen.  I ended up getting the 73 rallye charger (wanna bee).  I have to say on a nice day it is hard to decide what car to drive.   :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemi-hampton

I say bring th Dart to Ohio, Sell it at Mopar Nationals & on that same weekend leave the Mopar Nats with your newly Purchased 68 Charger. Kill 2 birds with one stone as they say. LEON.

Armudster

Hello, just wanted to update you guys, while I was advised not to, I got a deal I couldn't reffuse, a friend of mine who has a really good bodyshop picked my car to work on it, and he charged me only US2500,00 which was a very nice price, so I figured why not, and now the car is almost on bare metal, I'm surprised as the car has no rust, but have a share of bondo, everything is running smoothly, but he still didn't pulled the vinyl, and I'm afraid of what I would find under there, but he is aware of that and guaranteed me the price is not going to change and he is taking pictures for me from the entire process, as soon as I get some I will post them here. The expected completion time will be in 2-3 weeks.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

OneofNoneRT

"If you love something set it free, If it comes back its yours, If not then it never was"
Uhh..Wheres the keys? :smilielol:
1968 R/T 440/4 Spd (Prototype Factory Sunroof)
2008 R/T 5.7l HEMI (Road & Track)

hemi-hampton

OK, See you in 2-3 weeks when it is done. Post some pics then of completed ride.  :scratchchin: LEON.