News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help me decide on a trailer.

Started by 41husk, June 15, 2009, 09:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

I have this posted on the Carlisle thread in the upcomming shows section, but I am trying to decide between a 18' open all steel trailer and a 24' enclosed.  both are 07 the open was built by a local race car driver and comes with a winch battery box it has diamond plate deck with two D rings asking price is 2k (I think I can get it for $1500)  It has never been titled.  The owner says that is not a problem :scratchchin: The enclosed trailer looks like brand new the owner says he payed over$8,500 for it and only used it once.  He is asking $6,900 (I think I can get it for $5,500.  The open trailer is here in town and the enclosed is 1 hour away, so distance is not an issue.  I am not sure how much I would use the trailer and I am not sure about manuevering the bigger of the two.  Any trailer owners advice would be appreciated.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

69bronzeT5

I'd personally get the enclosed trailer (no worrying about any damage to your car in anyway) but it's up to you regarding how much you want to spend. :Twocents:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TeeWJay426

A lot would depend on your tow vehicle as well. Unless you have a minimum of a 3/4 ton truck, don't even think of the enclosed trailer, because it would be too much for a lesser vehicle. A diesel would be desirable for that as well- my cousin has a 24 foot enclosed trailer he pulls with a 2004 3/4 ton Hemi Ram, and he struggles at times with that. It's like towing a house behind you.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

41husk

Thanks, I have a half ton with a 318, I believe I have decided on the open trailer.  Troy listed some pros and cons for both and the fact is I am more likely to use the 18' open trailer more than I would the enclosed and thats a lot more money to spend on something you will use one or two times a year.  Thanks for the help.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Old Moparz

Quote from: 41husk on June 16, 2009, 09:19:27 AM
Thanks, I have a half ton with a 318, I believe I have decided on the open trailer.  Troy listed some pros and cons for both and the fact is I am more likely to use the 18' open trailer more than I would the enclosed and thats a lot more money to spend on something you will use one or two times a year.  Thanks for the help.

Since the trailer is basically considered "home made" you should definitely find out through your state DMV what's involved with trying to get it registered. It would suck plunking down money & end up with something you might not be able to legally tow. Taking the seller's word for it as not being a problem, doesn't mean squat. :Twocents:

edit to add: Some states have minimum standards, like all axles must have brakes, etc., so check first.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

hemigeno

I'll add to what Bob/OM just said - Pennsylvania requires brakes on all trailer axles.  They don't necessarily inspect when you cross the border, but it'd be a bummer to have them ground the trailer and/or cite you...

Daytona R/T SE

Alan, Check this place out:

http://weiltrailers.com

I bought my trailer from them several years ago when they were over by Masoutah.

I'd try to avoid someone else's homemade trailer if possible  :Twocents:

41husk

I just got back with my trailer.  Thanks to all your advice, I got a new not used or homemade, Big Tex Trailer with brakes on both axles 18' with dove tail, ramps come out the rear all steel with a spare tire as well.  I spent a little more than I had planned on a open trailer but I am happy with it.  I tried to post some pics but was told it was to big.  I got it in Linn MO just a bit further than Hemi Geno lives. 
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

NHCharger

You made the right choice. Homemade trailers have no certified load ratings. You were asking for trouble.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Old Moparz

Quote from: 41husk on June 16, 2009, 06:11:07 PM
I just got back with my trailer.  Thanks to all your advice, I got a new not used or homemade, Big Tex Trailer with brakes on both axles 18' with dove tail, ramps come out the rear all steel with a spare tire as well.  I spent a little more than I had planned on a open trailer but I am happy with it.  I tried to post some pics but was told it was to big.  I got it in Linn MO just a bit further than Hemi Geno lives. 

Good to hear you got something nice.  :cheers:

If it makes you feel good about your choice, one of my friends has a Big Tex trailer that he's had about 15 years & he uses for his landscaping equipment, a Bobcat, & has loaded cars & pick up trucks & is a great trailer. I borrowed it twice in the past before I bought mine & would say it's excellent & well made.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry