News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW '72 340 Magnum, 50K miles, California car

Started by Dans 68, June 16, 2009, 06:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

Guys, I have a chance to pick up a '72 for my nephew.  http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1218678594.html  It is on Craigslist (probably 1/2 mile away from me  :icon_smile_big: ) and I have not seen it yet; it should be a runner at the very least and clean up very well. The owner has been offered 8K for it. Should I even bother looking? What say you 3rd Gen Guru's?  :scratchchin:

Dan

And Thanks to Brock for pointing this car out http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,58351.0/topicseen.html  :2thumbs:
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Foreman72

wish my uncle bought me a charger  :lol:

well, the usual really...i don't think there is any third gen specific stuff...from the pics 8k a bit steep...take a good look @ that dent in the front drivers side...o just make sure the vinyl top isn't a wreck...rust loves to hang out under there

lucky you tho...with that bulge hood :yesnod: ...i want one...

good luck
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

quapman

In this market, in that condition, $8K is very high. Done 72 Rall eyes are going in the "way under 20" range.

CA cars are usually clean, but that looks rough from the pics. Scary description, too. "Should fire right back up with only a week's labor!"

I'm having trouble getting $10K for a done 71 with a 440. Aside from a steering box leak, drive it home. (Not pandering, just an example)

3rd gens are still getting NO respect!

I'd offer $4k for old yeller there in San Fran.

NHCharger

I agree with Quapman.
No interior shots or mention of the condition the interior or underside of the car.
Sitting in wet grass many years can do a number on it.
Will probably need a paint job.
He should take the 8k before that buyer comes to his senses.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

tricky lugnuts

:Twocents: I agree with the others that $8K sounds high for a non-running small block third gen charger given the highly uncertain economy. But I'd at least go check the car out if I was looking at that price level. People have probably paid more for worse!

Can't hurt if the car's only 1/2 mile away.

Looks like there are a lot of nice options intact on that car, especially if they're all original. 50,000 miles is pretty low - the car could be pretty original if the seller's story is true. If the body's a nice, solid easy repaint/clean, with Rallye doors, bulge hood, and hideaway headlights and the interior isn't wasted - and the drivetrain includes the numbers matching 340 and trans, etc. in working condition...who knows?

You'd pay a lot of money for all those parts individually. Too bad it's not a Ramcharger hood! Of course, that driver's side fender looks a little crinkled in the pictures and missing are the passenger side of the car and the lower areas.

I'd certainly crawl underneath, in, and around every part of the car to check out the less visible areas to make sure they're in good shape, along with the trunk, trunk rails, interior floor pans, firewall, everything in fact, buying at that price! Especially if it's been sitting outside for 30 years with no attention.

I also agree about the scary, slightly optimistic mechanical description. "Cleaning fuel lines?" Don't you usually just spring the couple hundred bucks and replace them if gets to that point? I always find myself asking, 'If it'll fire up so easy, why not just make it do so yourself before selling it.'

I don't know - maybe take a gas can, battery and electric fuel pump and see if you can get it to "fire right up" to see how it'll run.

nakita7

Love 72 Rallyes, by far the coolest Charger made, but I wouldn't pay $8000 for that. Running/driving maybe $5000, maybe? Buy a done one, seriously, let someone else lose the time and money....

Daytona R/T SE

Looks like a $2500 project car to me.

If he were truly offered $8K and didn't take it, he needs his head examined.

Offer less, WAY less.

WAY WAY WAY less.

Mr.Woolery

I recently purchased my '71 Charger already, but if this car was on the market a few months ago I would've bit.  Only I wouldn't have offered more than $4500-$5500 for it (depending on the car's condition).
-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

69bronzeT5

I personally smell bullsh*t regarding the $8k offer. :Twocents: It's not worth that. Like Daytona R/T SE said, worth about $2500.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TeeWJay426

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on June 17, 2009, 10:58:25 PM
I personally smell bullsh*t regarding the $8k offer. :Twocents: It's not worth that. Like Daytona R/T SE said, worth about $2500.

I agree wholeheartedly..... methinks he figures he's got a live one on the line and is trying to embellish the story to get as much $$$ as possible for it. Looks like a 5K max car to me.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Brock Samson

ok what's the story on this one,.. did ya' git to see it Dan?..  :popcrn: sure looks like a worthy project from the limited info..

Dans 68

No, I had asked the owner for a little more info on it, and heard nothing back. I ended my quest by telling him to grab the 8K he had been offered.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259