News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how to get brokein exhaust stud out of cylinder head

Started by 72charger440, June 14, 2009, 04:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72charger440

when i was replacing the studs on my engine one of the old studs broke off and is now flush with the hole on the head anybody have any ideas on how 2 het it out?
72 charger SE 440 big block  
mopar or no car!!!!

b5blue

You will need to get an E-Z out tap and drill a hole in the middle of the stud to use it. I hope its off the car  :eek2: .

Runner

and if the ez out doesnt work  its helicoil time

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

mikepmcs

Is any of it sticking out or is it completely flush.  If you can get to it weld another bolt to the broken stud and wrench it out.  The heat that the weld produced should make it come out easier as well.

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

terrible one

A few days prior to using the EZ out I would soak it religiously with PB Blaster to ease it coming out when the time comes. You already know it was stubborn!

c00nhunterjoe

start the car and get it good and hot, it will make the stud come out easier

70 500

yeah get a reverse thread drill bit if nothing is sticking out still, otherwise drill and tap
hold my beer, this is gonna be fun

72charger440

72 charger SE 440 big block  
mopar or no car!!!!

TylerCharger69

I,d like to add...due to trial and error, before drilling and tapping, use a center punch and make a good divot on the center of that stud. Otherwise you may accidentally drill away the threads surrounding the studs in the head itself. Then it would be heli-coil time!!! :Twocents:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 14, 2009, 08:28:39 PM
Is any of it sticking out or is it completely flush.  If you can get to it weld another bolt to the broken stud and wrench it out.  The heat that the weld produced should make it come out easier as well.

:iagree: I had good luck with this once, worked great! I had to re-weld the bolt on a couple times, but in the end, the old one came out & I didn't have to drill & tap anything.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bull

Quote from: Charger_Fan on June 15, 2009, 02:57:11 PM
Quote from: mikepmcs on June 14, 2009, 08:28:39 PM

:iagree: I had good luck with this once, worked great! I had to re-weld the bolt on a couple times, but in the end, the old one came out & I didn't have to drill & tap anything.

I'd say the main reason that worked is because you heated the area and it expanded the metal around the stud enough to loosen it. Which brings me to my suggestion. As mentioned before, use a center punch first to make a dent at center of the stud so the drill bit doesn't wander, then start heating the base material around the stud and begin drilling it with a counterclockwise drill bit. If that doesn't work right away I'd switch to a bolt/stud extractor once the hole is deep enough to give the extractor some grip. The metal around the stud is less dense than the stud itself so it will heat up and expand faster.