News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Calling Audiophiles

Started by Long Island RT, June 16, 2009, 01:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Island RT

If I were to use the 6x9 Infinity Kappa speakers in the rear package tray and their 4s in the front, What amp would you recommend to drive them? 

I was thinking of using this stereo because it's simple looking and has all the options I want:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wX5XpLZcTsZ/p_113MP538U/Kenwood-KDC-MP538U.html

Here's the speakers:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108429I/Infinity-Kappa-42-9i.html?search=kappa
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086939I/Infinity-Kappa-693-9i.html?search=kappa

Does the amp need to drive all four speakers or only the rear?

I really don't know jack about stereos but I heard the infinity Kappa's in a friends car and in a store and they sounded great.

Thanks
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

FLG

Use the amp to drive all 4 speakers. I know enough about car steros but in terms of quality of amps im not sure which ones are better. I seem to like Rockford fosgate amps, though i cant afford any ATM LOL!

Also did you change your amp meter to voltage? When you start adding electronics to these cars it put even more of a strain on the already stressed out amp meter.

If you need any help with the install give me a shout, i live in Brooklyn.

Long Island RT

Yes - I removed the Ammeter (and all associated wiring) and replaced it with a voltmeter.

Does that mean I need a 4 channel amp with at least 110W output per channel?
Are there different amps if I'm not powering a subwoofer?
Does the amp need a specific power source - like direct from the battery, with a certain gauge wire?

I'm an electronics no-nothing  :eek2:

1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

Foreman72

nice choice...i have the same 4 speakers ready to go in my 72 when the time presents it self...well in order to really do it right you'd need an amp that exceeds that output capability of the speaker...i've been mixing live sound for 10 years and that is something to make sure of when setting up a rig so i'm gonna carry it over to car audio...thats why its not the greatest idea to use the amp built into the deck...

as far as a good amp to go with...RF has great stuff...alpine is very nice but top dollar...do some searching on crutchfield (as it appears you have begun to do, thats the site)

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108KAPPA4/Infinity-Kappa-Four.html?tp=115

this is the kappa amp...wicked nice...obviously well matched to the speakers

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500PDX4150/Alpine-PDX-4-150.html?tp=115

alpine one...

do you already have a deck picked out?
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Long Island RT

Great - Thanks!

I was leaning toward the Kenwood deck I listed in the first post.
It's plan jane looking and has all the options I like.

68 CHARGER R/T

i'd go with a 4 channel amp somewhere around 250 watts total. it would run your doors and rear deck speakers nicely for a clean sound.rockford, alpine,kicker are some of the more popular amps these days.   :2thumbs:

Foreman72

check out pioneer as well...unless you really want that kenwood :yesnod:

what about ipod connectivity? is that something you think you'll want?
Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

mikepmcs

Foreman is hitting all the right notes.  I would steer clear of Kenwood myself.  They have a distortion issue that i've never been able to get over.  

If money is the main consideration, then I would say a nice mid level pioneer will do what you need to do. If you are set on only a 4 speaker system, then a couple 2 channel amps will also do the trick or one multi channel.  Don't overlook bridging to get even more juice out of it, those infinity's can handle it.

I am also a big rockford fan as well, but for amps and a couple subs they make only.  No speaker smaller than a 10" when looking at RF if you ask me will produce quality sound(been there done that, threw em away).  Polk makes a good speaker and Boston Acoustic will rival your Infinity choice, so there is a couple more options for you.  Alpine has really stepped up their program in the last few years as well so don't overlook their amps either.

I guess my question is........ 4 speakers only???

Frank, point me in the direction of this voltage/amp meter deal, you guys got me all scared that my car is gonna catch fire now :lol:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

Dang foreman and I are thinking the same for sure.  I was typing  the same stuff when he was posting I guess.   

I however won't be chasing any butterflies in the near future.  :nutkick:

By the way, man card reinstated for sound stereo advice. :lol: :2thumbs: 
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Foreman72

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 16, 2009, 09:10:19 PM
Dang foreman and I are thinking the same for sure.  I was typing  the same stuff when he was posting I guess.   

I however won't be chasing any butterflies in the near future.  :nutkick:

By the way, man card reinstated for sound stereo advice. :lol: :2thumbs: 

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

man mike that was funny stuff :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

Long Island RT

I'll stay away from Kenwood.  The only reason I picked it was that it did have iPod connectivity and it was simple looking.  I don't like the look of the new decks in general (guess I'm just old).  I wanted something simple with iPod control-ability (not just a front aux plug in) and plays mp3's of a cd.

What's the advantage of 2-two channel amps over a four channel?  I don't know what bridging means.

Thanks
Oh - and 4 speakers because I don't want to hack up the interior and a sub is probably overboard for my taste.

Foreman72

well basically,

you could go with just to 6x9s in the back and bridge (with a 2 ch amp, you should A (channel 1, positive), B (channel 1, negative), C (channel 2, positive), D (channel 2, negative). connect the positive wire to terminal A;  connect the negative speaker wire to terminal D) this combines the channels and harnesses the power of the 2 together to form one channel that is far louder...this is option one

option 2 - you could get a regular 2 ch amp and skip this bridging :D

option 3 - 2 front/2 rear speakers and a 4 ch amp with the preouts of the deck connected to the 4 chs of the amp...

how does this deck look btw...i it appears to be right on the $$
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P310UB/Pioneer-Premier-DEH-P310UB.html?tp=5684
this comes with a 2ft cable to connect/charge/control your ipod from the deck...you can hardwire it in thru your glovebox..that my plan

and a sub might be a bit overboard...too much extra weight as well

2 speakers wouldn't hack up the car either, they would just sit in the package tray, 2 speakers in back means no speakers up front
Eric "Foreman"

mikepmcs

Thats a decent deck.  Also, that is why I suggested 2 nice 2 Channels vice a multi. 

Long Island...this will make you dangerous in the know department in about an hour.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Tab/Learn.aspx

crutchfield is a great site!!!!! I used it all the time back a few years.  Can't beat the service and the prices. 

Give us all the stereo options you are looking for and we'll go from there.
Also, give us a budget to work within.

Long Island RT

Wow - I've got some reading to do...

Foreman - That deck is perfect!

I think I could get the two 4" speakers mounted underneath the dash where the stock 4x10 sat.   Do you think that would be worth the extra buckthirty?

My original budget was $600, but I can probably do $800.
Crutchfield is a great site - but it seems you can easily find these things 10-15% less at many other sites.  Should I be weary.....

Foreman72

yeah i think it would...a much more full, clear sound in my opinion...whats cool about the kappas is they have directional horns that you can rotate towards or away from you...some people think metallic dome tweeters can be kinda harsh but i like clarity so i think they're fine...everything in moderation

and heck, you could just call up crutch and tell them everything and they could outfit you in 10 min  :yesnod:

and i think you meant either leery or wary...i think you combined the 2 my man :lol:

also in that budget, don't forget all the little thinks that add up like wiring and all, also, do you have dynamat or the equivalent in your car?

Eric "Foreman"

Long Island RT

I didn't get to the sound deadener yet but it is in the plans.  All my wiring is done except for the stereo.  Just got my aftermarket seats, and I'm working on a custom console to hold the deck. 

Thanks  a bunch
LIRT

lisiecki1

i'd go larger than 4" on the front speakers unless you're trying to minimize "modification" of the door panels....I recommend pioneer to all of my customers, I've been running Pioneer for over 14 years and always have had top notch performance from their stuff.  Pay no attention to the advertised wattage of amps, you need to be looking at RMS wattage for example you can go get an off brand 800 watt amp and I can put my 14 year old phoenix gold m25 (25 watts RMS) up against it and drive anything you've got twice as hard.  Basically, think of RMS as continuous wattage whereas your "advertised" 800 watts is a peak capability and has nothing to do with constant use.....If you have any technical questions feel free to pm me.  As far as your deck is concerned, I run a pioneer in my truck with an ipod in the glove box and the stereo has full control of the ipod....this particular model was around $250....Sony has a number of nice decks that have an ipod cable built in, whereas with most of your higher end stereos you have to buy an ipod cable....
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

FLG

Some good info here.

Mike to answer your question.

With the amp meter on our cars to be accurate EVERYTHING must go through the amp meter. All the electronics in your car run through the amp meter. Now if you have new wiring throughout the car and connections are clean and you have no real add ons, and a rebuilt meter...most likely your just fine.

Now for example. You get a larger ALT, electric fans, audio system. All those new electronics will pull more from the system, thus putting more amperage on the wire...which equals more heat. Your amp meter was not meant to deal with the stress of the new electronics and can cause some big issues if not looked at carefully. Just search around the forum, you will find plenty of posts. One thing i found out is if you have a dead battery NEVER let the car charge from the system, always charge it first...the damn amp meter will get hot as satins ass crack if you do.

I just bypassed by amp meter by pulling the wires off and putting a bolt and nut on them to keep em together (along with some electrical tape to make sure it dosnt hit anything).

Also look into doing the headlight relay mod (havent done yet) take a look around the forum for the post on it.

aone415

I'm in the same boat... I think we're gonna go with the pioneer below... iPod Connectivity, Mp3 capability, Satellite Radio and Bluetooth, which is something you may want to consider

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

Long Island RT

Nice!

What's the model# on that - I can't quite make it out?

lisiecki1

aone415

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

Foreman72

Quote from: lisiecki1 on June 16, 2009, 11:33:53 PM
i'd go larger than 4" on the front speakers unless you're trying to minimize "modification" of the door panels....

well since this is a restomod (sweet car btw LIRT, i've seen some pics and man that thing is awesome...great work on it) i think you've got some wide options...but i think 4s should do ya...what size were you thinking lisiecki
Eric "Foreman"

mauve66

you can also run low gauge wire from the battery straight to the amp and the blue wire from the stereo will turn the amps off and on
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

lisiecki1

Quote from: Foreman72 on June 17, 2009, 08:00:03 PM
Quote from: lisiecki1 on June 16, 2009, 11:33:53 PM
i'd go larger than 4" on the front speakers unless you're trying to minimize "modification" of the door panels....

well since this is a restomod (sweet car btw LIRT, i've seen some pics and man that thing is awesome...great work on it) i think you've got some wide options...but i think 4s should do ya...what size were you thinking lisiecki

in my 73 i'm putting 6.5's in fiberglass pods in the doors....but i believe he wants to keep a somewhat stock appearance....